[OT] Sweet Home High School Student

I'm glad I grew up during a more innocent time period. As a kid I used to love to create bombs with black gun powder and various ingenious electrical based detonators.

I only blew up tree stumps, far away from anyone being possibly hurt. Geesh, now a days I would have been in Juvenile Hall and taken from my parents.

Pay no attention to the folks who say that things like violent video games and Survivor shows have no effect.

I think that's an excuse for people with their own agenda who want to censor what we watch and listen to, so they try to establish a connection to justify their views. The vast majority of people who play those games or watch those shows don't commit crimes, just like the majority of legal gun owners don't. The root cause is usually either the family life, being an outcast at school, or just plain mental problems.

I think that's an excuse for people with their own agenda who want to censor what we watch and listen to, so they try to establish a connection to justify their views.  The vast majority of people who play those games or watch those shows don't commit crimes, just like the majority of legal gun owners don't.  The root cause is usually either the family life, being an outcast at school, or just plain mental problems.

292497[/snapback]

Certainly there are other contributors. Divorce, the "all about me" society, etc.

I recall a discussion of this on C-Span some time ago. George Will was on the studio panel, and in time, a video link was set up with director Rob Reiner. I don't recall the dialogue, so I will paraphrase.

Reiner predictibly descried any connection. Will then said to Reiner, why does the countless billion dollar advertising industry work? If visual images and the repeat again and again have no effect, why do you buy adversing time, hammering away repeatedly in the hope that even that short exposure will induce folks to act as you want them to do - in this case, attend your movies.?

Reiner was flummoxed - dropped his jaw, eyes like saucers, and muttered something less than a coherent comment.

The local AM radio big noise here also disputes that media has effects. but certainly, he would slit his own very profitable economic throat like other apologists if he said that is possible - he'd be blackballed in an instant. He, of course, makes a bunch of $$$ on the side voicing commercial pitches. Evidently the folks thay pay him are satisfied that he gets the message across and influences behavior...

Certainly there are other contributors. Divorce, the "all about me" society, etc.

I recall a discussion of this on C-Span some time ago. George Will was on the studio panel, and in time, a video link was set up with director Rob Reiner.  I don't recall the dialogue, so I will paraphrase.

Reiner predictibly descried any connection. Will then said to Reiner, why does the countless billion dollar advertising industry work? If visual images and the repeat again and again have no effect, why do you buy adversing time, hammering away repeatedly in the hope that even that short exposure will induce folks to act as you want them to do - in this case, attend your movies.?

Reiner was flummoxed - dropped his jaw, eyes like saucers, and muttered something less than a coherent comment.

The local AM radio big noise here also disputes that media has effects. but certainly, he would slit his own very profitable economic throat like other apologists if he said that is possible - he'd be blackballed in an instant.  He, of course, makes a bunch of $$$ on the side voicing commercial pitches. Evidently the folks thay pay him are satisfied that he gets the message across and influences behavior...

292522[/snapback]

I'm sure Will would admit that there's a huge difference between convincing a person to buy a bar of soap, and convincing them to go on a muderous rampage.

Maybe Reiner was just aghast that Will would make such a moronic comparison.

There's 10s of millions of people who play these games and commit no acts of violence (myself included). Just as there are 10s of millions of gun owners who also commit no acts of violence.

Kids are falling through the cracks here, for a myriad of reasons. And it only takes one or two to cause tragedy.

The question is, what are willing to do about it as a society. Change our reaction to bullying? Hire school psychologists? Put more police and metal detectors in schools?

Its no surprise that mentally unstable kids are in the school system. How do we come up with a better way to deal with them?

Or do we leave it alone and assign blame according to personal and political agendas? There's thousands of school systems in the USA. One or two attacks really don't cause that much relative damage, right?

I'm sure Will would admit that there's a huge difference between convincing a person to buy a bar of soap, and convincing them to go on a muderous rampage.

There's 10s of millions of people who play these games and commit no acts of violence (myself included).  Just as there are 10s of millions of gun owners who also commit no acts of violence.

Kids are falling through the cracks here, for a myriad of reasons.  And it only takes one or two to cause tragedy. 

The question is, what are willing to do about it as a society.  Change our reaction to bullying?  Hire school psychologists?  Put more police and metal detectors in schools? 

Its no surprise that mentally unstable kids are in the school system.  How do we come up with a better way to deal with them?

Or do we leave it alone and assign blame according to personal and political agendas?  There's thousands of school systems in the USA.  One or two attacks really don't cause that much relative damage, right?

292556[/snapback]

Yes, many confounders. But given that education of the young is largely a monkey-see-monkey-do process, learn by example thing - despite the often-successful efforts to serve up myriad side issues and interpretations (which not coincidentally puts bucks into the espouser's pockets and builds "reputations" as an "expert").

Children react to the presented environment - they are not sophisticated and discerning. They eat up what is served to them.

I have difficulty with the concept that exposure in the formative ages, (and beyond that to adulthood, these days) to degradation and violence presented as the norm has no effect. To say that it does not, and to simultaneously give credence to positive value inputs being effective, seems to be incongrueous, at best.

Indoctrination, propaganda, molding folks for particular purposes, works. In recent times, see Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, suicide bombers and so forth.

The techinques often rely of peer perssure, the ridiculing and belittlement of those who have different feeling, the dismissing, etc. These days, the repeated implication that unless you follow along, you are not "kewl".

Cui bono?

And regarding firearms. When I was a lad, we carried jack knives to school every day. We walked on the streets with die-cast metal pistols that were the soul of authenticity. We carried them into the local library. Guns were much more available - my local drugstore in North Buffalo sold a small selection of ammunition. I mail-ordered a .401 shotgun from Sears when I was 14. Yet. no shoot-outs. Curious.

And the adult society took pains to insulate we young ones from the harshness and ugliness that can occur in the adult world. Now, it's a "profit oppurtunity"...

Yes, many confounders. But given that education of the young is largely  a monkey-see-monkey-do process, learn by example thing - despite the often-successful efforts to serve up myriad side issues and interpretations (which not coincidentally puts bucks into the espouser's pockets and builds "reputations" as an "expert").

Children react to the presented environment - they are not sophisticated and discerning. They eat up what is served to them.

I have difficulty with the concept that exposure in the formative ages, (and beyond that to adulthood, these days) to degradation and violence presented as the norm has no effect. To say that it does not, and to simultaneously give credence to positive value inputs being effective, seems to be incongrueous, at best.

Indoctrination, propaganda, molding folks for particular purposes, works. In recent times, see Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, suicide bombers and so forth.

The techinques often rely of peer perssure, the ridiculing and belittlement of those who have different feeling, the dismissing, etc. These days, the repeated implication that unless you follow along, you are not "kewl".

Cui bono?

And regarding firearms. When I was a lad, we carried jack knives to school every day. We walked on the streets with die-cast metal pistols that were the soul of authenticity. We carried them into the local library. Guns were much more available - my local drugstore in North Buffalo sold a small selection of ammunition.  I mail-ordered a .401 shotgun from Sears when I was 14. Yet. no shoot-outs. Curious.

And the adult society took pains to insulate we young ones from the harshness and ugliness that can occur in the adult world. Now, it's a "profit oppurtunity"...

292582[/snapback]

Not much in the world that can't be solved by better parenting - sans government intervention.

It's not a surprise to me that the removal of corporal punishment and the empowerment of children has taken us down this path.

Pay no attention to the folks who say that things like violent video games and Survivor shows have no effect. Although, the advertising of same seems to be effective in eliciting purchases and viewership - very curious. :o

292396[/snapback]

Survivor is the root of this? I knew that Probst was up to something, but creating a mass society of psychopaths?

Survivor is the root of this? I knew that Probst was up to something, but creating a mass society of psychopaths?

292837[/snapback]

yes of course, dont you get his subliminal anarchist undertones in his talk on the show... :o

There's 10s of millions of people who play these games and commit no acts of violence (myself included).  Just as there are 10s of millions of gun owners who also commit no acts of violence.

Kids are falling through the cracks here, for a myriad of reasons.  And it only takes one or two to cause tragedy. 

The question is, what are willing to do about it as a society.  Change our reaction to bullying?  Hire school psychologists?  Put more police and metal detectors in schools? 

Its no surprise that mentally unstable kids are in the school system.  How do we come up with a better way to deal with them?

Or do we leave it alone and assign blame according to personal and political agendas?  There's thousands of school systems in the USA.  One or two attacks really don't cause that much relative damage, right?

292556[/snapback]

You have hit the nail on the head. You will notice that all of the kids that go on murderous rampages were targets of endless teasing by other and the kid saw no other escape from the torment.

Change the tolerance to teasing and this phenom will go away. And by change the tolerance to teasing I mean do not tolerate it in any way shape or form. Each kid has right to go to school without beaing harassed by some idiot.

I recall a discussion of this on C-Span some time ago. George Will was on the studio panel, and in time, a video link was set up with director Rob Reiner.  I don't recall the dialogue, so I will paraphrase.

The local AM radio big noise here also disputes that media has effects. but certainly, he would slit his own very profitable economic throat like other apologists if he said that is possible - he'd be blackballed in an instant.  He, of course, makes a bunch of $$$ on the side voicing commercial pitches. Evidently the folks thay pay him are satisfied that he gets the message across and influences behavior...

292522[/snapback]

Yes, I'm surprised Will even said that. Making the public aware of your new Brand X soap or the new features of your Brand X car is not an attempt at brain washing. Will must be an idiot to believe his own BS here.

You have hit the nail on the head. You will notice that all of the kids that go on murderous  rampages were targets of endless teasing by other and the kid saw no other escape from the torment.

Change the tolerance to teasing and this phenom will go away. And by change the tolerance to teasing I mean do not tolerate it in any way shape or form. Each kid has right to go to school without beaing harassed by some idiot.

292897[/snapback]

Because teasing is a new thing. Just started happening.

You have hit the nail on the head. You will notice that all of the kids that go on murderous  rampages were targets of endless teasing by other and the kid saw no other escape from the torment.

292897[/snapback]

Oh yes. That's right. Blame the bullies for some wack-job kid that can't handle it because his parents don't care.

That's equivalent to saying women shouldn't be allowed to wear miniskirts because it causes rape.

292897[/snapback]

But tolerance is the catch word for the new millenium. Everything must be tolerated. Everything except a biblical worldview, ... oh wait, if we had a biblical worldview, we would not tolerate teasing and the like ...