What's the better strategy for the Cardinals?

D521646

I don't think much of Murray but I like everyone else don't know.

But my guess is there is not much of a market to trade up. The 1-5 top defenders are basically interchangeable. The only team in striking distance with a need for a QB is the Giants and my guess is they want a 6'4" QB and not a smurf to play in that weather.  

The Cards are a bit screwed. Their best value may be to draft Murray and trade Rosen for New England's #1 or Giants #2.  That may be as good as they can do. 

Otherwise it is probably Bosa.

From the other perspective, if Arizona passes on Murray, I think he and at a minimum  Haskins is/are still on the board at #9. I believe Giants use their first number 1 on a defender and then try to get QB of the future later in the first round.

22 hours ago, D521646 said:

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering why I haven't heard any buzz about the Cardinals possibly trading the No 1 overall, and running with Rosen, and taking a QB later in the first or maybe even next year.

So I ask, if your the GM of Arizona, would you trade out of the number one overall, stick with Rosen for at least another year, and scoop up all these draft picks to put weapons around Josh?  Is one season enough to judge Rosen?  Granted he was garbage last year, but how much of that was his OL, offensive weapons, and defense?  I though TSW was pretty consensus on the idea that you can't judge accurately how a QB will be with just one year to his resume?  Look at Goff, as an example.

I personally think the Cards are making a potentially huge mistake in letting Rosen walk after just one year.  Oh, and before anyone says anything.  No, I was a Josh Allen guy all the way, never waivered, except that one time in band camp, when I fell in love with Mayfield for a brief, but in a weakened state of mind. ;)

Thoughts?

Tim-

Absent your new coach's system, you would trade down and surround Rosen with talent.

But if your coach says he absolutely needs a QB to run his system who's an athletic threat ... I might listen to him. I might also ask him how come he didn't say so before I hired him to coach the team. He originally said good things about Rosen. But going with your coach's system is big. It's important.

And no, one year is absolutely not enough to judge Rosen, it simply isn't, particularly in the crappy situation he was stuck in.

I guess I'd stick with Rosen, myself. The coach originally said he could do the job with him.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, OCinBuffalo said:

And what is your belief based on?

I swear to God...this always ends up being "let's just divide by 0, then say it's no big deal".

How the Body of Work was evaluated by so-called experts. Rosen was an elite prospect in a field of elite QB prospect.  This year's class doesn't have that evaluation. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

How the Body of Work was evaluated by so-called experts. Rosen was an elite prospect in a field of elite QB prospect.  This year's class doesn't have that evaluation. 

glad my mortgage and basically cushy job as a scout or coach doesn't ride on the arms of young men like they have it

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Absent your new coach's system, you would trade down and surround Rosen with talent.

But if your coach says he absolutely needs a QB to run his system who's an athletic threat ... I might listen to him. I might also ask him how come he didn't say so before I hired him to coach the team. He originally said good things about Rosen. But going with your coach's system is big. It's important.

And no, one year is absolutely not enough to judge Rosen, it simply isn't, particularly in the crappy situation he was stuck in.

I guess I'd stick with Rosen, myself. The coach originally said he could do the job with him.

He wouldn't be my HC.  Any GM with the power to hire/fire HCs who hired a newbie HC who couldn't work with the former first round pick taken just the year before deserves to be fired himself ... and if the HC had lied in his interviews and now changed his tune after he got the job, then he deserves to have his ass fired ASAP.  Kingsbury isn't Bill Belichick or Andy Reid or Pete Carroll  with a proven track record in the NFL; he's a college coach who's more likely to crash and burn in the NFL than a first round QB (who crash and burn about half the time).

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

If they missed on Rosen, what makes you think that they're likely to hit on Murray?   . 

The sensible thing to do is to stick with Rosen, use the #1 pick on a stud player or, the best option if they can get a good deal, trade back a bit to get more picks.  If  the Cards don't significantly improve the team around their QB that QB, whoever it is, isn't going to find much success.

I see your logic but I am advocating hedging in a big way. They cannot go all in on either QB at this point. While Murray may bust, it is also likely that Rosen isn't good and he was part of the problem last year. 

If they draft a stud defensive player, his chance of failure will be small and resulting impact on the team will be good but not transcendental. But the implications of Rosen busting and Murray being a hit eclipses any such impact. 

This should be the year the Cards use to identify the QB. They can build around him starting next year

On 4/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, MTLBills said:

The strategy is to get it right at QB, no matter the cost. If they think its Murray, then losing Rosen for pennies on the dollar is the least of their concerns.

Decide who your guy is, then optimize the situation thereafter.

If this was the Bills, And they traded their 1st round qb a year into his career, I definitely won’t want the GM who picked him, who picked a coach who got fired in one year, and had a recent DWI to make the pick. 

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

DRAFT murray

KEEP rosen

backup QB is one of the top 10 most important positions on your team.....starting qb's are 50% likely to get injured.

I would agree with this but it would be a nightmare from fans and media.  But you’re right.  Until you have a proven guy, don’t stop searching.  And having a good back up is so underrated.  Plus, it could be trade bait to.  But nfl teams aren’t forward thinking enough for this.