A Few Thoughts About Some Alabama Players, in no particular order...

OK, some things to note:

A) I am NOT making these comments pretending that I am a scout. I am a Crimson Tide Fan for approx. 50 years and see all of their games. This season, it looks like I will finally be making it to Tuscaloosa for a game (as opposed to 15 or so Bills games). This post should be taken as no different than one of you rating Bills players after having seen all of their games for many years.

B) It is always a bit tougher to rate Alabama players because the players around them are all so good.

C) Much of what I do will be comparing these kids with previous Alabama Players. I find that this helps me form opinions.

Anyway, here goes nothing.....

1) Deionte Thompson (S):

He is a tall, fast safety. He isn't afraid to mix it up, despite his narrow frame. I see him ranked by some as a mid first round pick and this puzzles me, and makes me question the strength of this draft. He is not even almost as good as Minkah Fitzpatrick was last season at safety. Minkah is stronger, quicker (not sure who is actually faster), much smarter, covers MUCH better, and has better hands. In fact, I liked Ronnie Harrison more than Smith because of his size and strength. Even if I felt that the Bills needed a safety I would not want them to use a 1st on Deionte, even after a big trade down. Maybe a 2nd.

2) Irv Smith Jr. (TE).:

VERY solid player but hard to rate. Keep in mind, the Tide had the best receiving corps (IMO) in the history of college football. They had no less than 4 spectacular wide receivers (all of whom are returning btw). This allowed Smith to run patterns with at times, little coverage. This will not be the case in the NFL. That said, Smith will be a good one. He is very well coordinated and can make acrobatic catches. All Alabama players block. He is a complete player and I don't recall any serious injuries. Imo Smith will be a success at the next level.

3) Isaiah Buggs (DT):

Much stronger and tougher than most of the players he went up against. Very hard worker and had the respect of his teammates. I would have liked to see more reps on the bench (20), but again, he is a very tough, fearless player. Once, I saw him on a televised practice screaming at the team to "shut up'" and that the only one speaking should be Coach Saban. He isn't so fast but his effort is there and his pursuit is what you want.  I would be happy to see the Bills draft him in the mid rounds, or late rounds if nobody else grabs him.

4) Quinnen Williams (DT):

Big, strong, quick, smart, and VERY hard to block. Some folks are projecting him to go in the top 5 and I have even seen him listed as going first. I personally do not believe this. Remember, he does not have a large body of work. He sat behind Da'Ron Payne (who was admittedly more of a nose), but still.....first pick of a draft?  As good as he is as a player and a person (or so it appears), I don't view him as an all time great. I will go out on a limb here and predict that he will be there if the Bills stay at 9. Would I take him at 9? Probably, unless I got a HUGE trade down offer. The kid really is very good.

5) Christian Miller (OLB):

EXTREMELY interesting pick. This kid got better and better the more he played. He is a pass rusher with fantastic moves and enough strength. I know that people think that Bama players are a bunch of dummies but it just isn't so. This kid is VERY intelligent and has played under many different DCs, and Bama plays a very complicated system. I think that his ceiling would be somewhere around Jerry Hughes yet he is rarely talked about. I like players who don't stagnate and keep improving. CM is that guy and I would LOVE to see him in Buffalo.

6) Jonah Williams (OT/OG):

His technique is awesome. He is almost never off balance. He excelled at RT and was just as good at LT. Another very smart player. Sounds perfect, right? Well, he might be but I can't say that I am sure. He seems to like pass blocking more than run blocking and said as much. We all know that the NFL is a passing league, so maybe his lack of size and long arms are no longer the concern that it used to be. I mean...he is SO sound. But, being old school I am not so sure. I think that there is at least a 50% chance that he will play Guard but check this out.....if he does move inside, I think that he would be no less than a GREAT left guard. Now I am not going to cop out. Do I think that he can play LT? Yes, because of this new passing league. Do I think he will be Orlando Pace? I do not. :( I would however to see the Bills draft him after a trade down. Imo his floor is not low at all.

7) Josh Jacobs (RB):

What a wonderful kid who overcame horrible life circumstances. This is another kid who just kept working and getting better. He deserves all the money and praise he will receive. This is another player that I have seen projected in the top 10 or 15. Peeps, I just can't see it. For a top 10 running back, I want 10,000 yards. Josh can block, catch, he is strong and he is quick, but he isn't a burner. He never entered a season at Alabama as the #1 running back but kept on working. As much as I admire him and his accomplishments, I don't think that the Bills should use a first round pick on him.

8) Damien Harris (RB)

Love the kid. I liken him to a poor man's Thurman Thomas. Although he wears thick glasses, he seems to be able to see a hole as well as any back I have seen in quite some time. Talk about smart? He sounds like a mixture of a college professor and a football announcer. He bought into Coach Saban's program 1000%. He too can catch and really follows blocks. His strength is not to be underestimated. He doesn't have blazing speed but he is hard to bring down when he has a head of steam because he is strong. I would love to see the Bills take him with a mid round pick. With an improved OL, he would excel if healthy and be a fan favorite (once again imo). He is the ultimate "process" guy. And btw Coach Saban was speaking of the "Process" when McDermott was planning his Junior High School Prom. Let's remember who he stole this word and philosophy from.

9) Ross Pierschbacher (C/G):

Taller and heavier than Jonah. Another smart, versatile kid. Alabama was not all that great at the guard position in 2018, but RP still played well at OC against some stiff competition. Someone will take him in the mid to late rounds and do OK imo.

10) Saivion Smith (CB)

Good size and good speed. I don't know what his personal financial situation was but he needed to stay in school. I saw him get beat on some occasions where it didn't have to happen. That said, this is another player I would like to see on the Bills. Yes, I said this about a corner!!!!! A player like him might prevent us from wasting a first round pick on a db. His ceiling is perhaps a bit higher than that of Levi Wallace but it might take a while.

11) Mack Wilson (ILB)

Tough guy. Very athletic and a hard hitter. Good in pass coverage, fantastic special team player. Mack is a very good all around ILB, but he is not on the same planet as Reuben Foster. Reuben is obviously a sad story and Mack will be and is good, but; he will never be the player that Foster was. That said, he should be a good fit on an NFL team. There is no phase of LB play that he is not good at. The difference between Mack and Foster is just what I noted above, superstar potential. That said, you do want Mack Wilson on your football team.

So there you have it.....my unsolicited reviews of the University of Alabama  Crimson Tide Football Team. Friends, wait until 2020. Three receivers will probably come out and they are all GREAT. I'm serious. One (Henry Ruggs) just ran a 4.25 40. He also has great hands, moves, and even blocks. Oh....he is not the best of the 3. I would kill for the Bills to get one of them but first things first! :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You love me as much as I do you, Bill.

I can feel it.

There have been several douchebags on this site over the years. Thankfully not TOO many. That said, I have never seen fit to block anyone. If I block you, will you be unable to read any of my posts? You are such a completely useless, moronic a-hole that I would like to cease all contact with your boring, twisted, silly ass.

Please, help me out.

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

And btw Coach Saban was speaking of the "Process" when McDermott was planning his Junior High School Prom. Let's remember who he stole this word and philosophy from.

II heard he he was pretty meticulous with the moving van employees when packing his stuff in Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks OP. After the Foster / Wallace experience, wouldnt mind an all Bama Bills Draft:)

I have had my eye on Quinnen Williams, Jonah Williams & Irv Smith for a while - but based on your post, late round picks Damien Harris, Mack Wilson and Ross Piershbacher can fit  the Bills' needs well.

You made my day by predicting Quinnen Williams being available at #9. The guy is a combination of Donald and McCoy and I saw him singlehandedly destroy LSU's OL.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Thanks OP. After the Foster / Wallace experience, wouldnt mind an all Bama Bills Draft:)

I have had my eye on Quinnen Williams, Jonah Williams & Irv Smith for a while - but based on your post, late round picks Damien Harris, Mack Wilson and Ross Piershbacher can fit  the Bills' needs well.

Keep your eye on Christian Miller. I am not likening him to Von Miller, but the kid is good.

9 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Thanks for the post, Bill. Would you look at Irv Smith at 40?

I might. I am also watching Jace Sternberger from Texas A&M. He will probably go in the mid to late rounds.

Like I said, He is probably the hardest player on the team to rate because the wrs on Alabama are just that great that they took coverage away from him.

• Like (+1) 1