What really happened: Beane trolled the Steelers and AB

On 3/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, billsfan28277 said:

Except that Beane would lose credibility with every team in the league and never get any favorable deal from anybody in the future.

Plus Beane and McDermott just seem too ethical to be playing ‘The Sting’, with the Steelers as Doyle Lonnegan.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

How would get learn team needs and draft info when discussing a 30 year old player trade? 

I'm pretty sure at this point you are trolling.

Because the Steelers disclosed that 8-10 teams were inquiring about AB...meaning 8-10 teams were willing to mortgage their future on a quitter with a bad hair lip. Air go, Beane solidified our position as the cap friendliest team in the NFL and all other teams are following suit. We were laughed at for cutting Sammy, Dareus, Glenn and letting Stephanie Gilmore walk. Beane created a model that all others are now trying to replicate (including the Steelers). The info he gleened from one simple phone call will pay huge dividends and the other teams are none the wiser. 

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Because the Steelers disclosed that 8-10 teams were inquiring about AB...meaning 8-10 teams were willing to mortgage their future on a quitter with a bad hair lip. Air go, Beane solidified our position as the cap friendliest team in the NFL and all other teams are following suit. We were laughed at for cutting Sammy, Dareus, Glenn and letting Stephanie Gilmore walk. Beane created a model that all others are now trying to replicate (including the Steelers). The info he gleened from one simple phone call will pay huge dividends and the other teams are none the wiser. 

Whatever man. I think Beane has done a good job, but these "genius" scenarios that you're dreaming up in your head are insane. He called about trading for him, couldn't get it done, and he's not any smarter or dumber for it. It's just the way the NFL works sometimes.

Plus, teams don't disclose their draft wants and  needs to each other and about each other when discussing a wide receiver trade. I'm sure everybody would have been interested at the right price but most teams were eliminated right off the bat because of how much he cost.

Do whatever you feel like you need to do to convince yourself that Beane is some next-level genius and everybody else is dumb.

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Right off the bat, let's all agree, Brandon Beane is a brilliant fella.  He never intended to acquire a quitter, headcase, me first WR like AB.  Here's how it went down:

1) The Steelers knew we are in need of a WR. They set a deadline for teams to make offers by Friday.

2) Beane calls Steelers on Tuesday to ask "What are you looking for as compensation for the "highly respected" AB. The Steelers make some outrageous demand (ex. a 1st rounder this year and second rounder next year)

3) Beane says "Hmmm, that sounds pretty reasonable. Let me check with my owner and coach, etc"  Beane hangs up the phone and laughs "This will be fun"

4) Steelers start talking to other teams but keep Beane in mind. They call Beane back "Have you thought any more about it?"  Beane "Yeah, sure...how about first this year and a fourth next  year?"  Steelers "How about a first and third this year?"  Beane "Let me call you back."  He starts laughing again. No intention of signing AB whatsoever, but knows other teams are now being waved away by Steelers because they are about to get a sweet deal from Bills.

5) As the other teams walk away from negotiating, the Steelers start to get nervous...they give info to LaConjecture and RapReport.

6) Beane is busy eating a cob salad when the phone rings. Steelers: "Are we doing this?"  Beane: "Who is this?"

7) Beane issues statement about what a great player AB is and, unfortunately, they were unable to get a deal done.

Steelers are now left in a bad negotiating position because they spurned several other suitors. AB's price went down all thanks to Brandon Beane and the greatest "catfish" technique we will ever see.

I feel like beane swung but knew it would be hard/ near impossible to pull off for a reasonable amount of money etc and just threw a deal out there just in case it worked out all the while knowing it probably wouldn't but hey I like that he threw an offer out there and it got the bills crazy attention right before free agency opens so you know we are going to get harassed by many agents because they know we are willing to make big moves and they know we have the money....all in all I just want them to get 2 more above average starters for theboline in free agency and draft a blue chip tackle or guard...to me with all the good wrs in this draft it isn't worth breaking the bank for anything other than o lineman 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so dumb, it’s genius.  We fake tried to trade for a nut job so all football fans could laugh at the Bills and the city of Buffalo while it only took a 3rd and a 5th to get the best receiver/ nut job.  Genius!

...and the Drew Rosenhaus set the record straight and soon people will just be laughing at the Raiders. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

...and the Drew Rosenhaus set the record straight and soon people will just be laughing at the Raiders. 

So true. Isn’t it funny how some on TBD automatically believe the sports media narrative (ESPN, Shlopp and Bullpuppy, etc) that Buffalo failed again...when, in reality, Buffalo wasn’t about to pay AB’s outrageous demands and basically said “Best of luck”. Beane is a smart cookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So true. Isn’t it funny how some on TBD automatically believe the sports media narrative (ESPN, Shlopp and Bullpuppy, etc) that Buffalo failed again...when, in reality, Buffalo wasn’t about to pay AB’s outrageous demands and basically said “Best of luck”. Beane is a smart cookie. 

I’d like to know who leaked it to cRapoport?