March Movies: Captain Marvel, Dumbo, Hotel Mumbai & The Aftermath

Mark Vader

The Spring Season begins as the month of March arrives. Bigger titles will mean bigger numbers at the box office, as studios give audiences just a taste of what's to come in the more lucrative summer months.

Leading the way is the most powerful studio in the industry, Disney. As they have bookended the month with the next installment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and yet another live action take of one of their classic animated movies.

Disney & Marvel present, and Brie Larson stars as, "Captain Marvel". Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Also starring Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Jude Law, Annette Bening, Clark Gregg, Lashana Lynch, Djimon Honsou & Lee Pace.

Disney & director Tim Burton present, "Dumbo". A young elephant, whose oversized ears enable him to fly, helps save a struggling circus, but when the circus plans a new venture, Dumbo and his friends discover dark secrets beneath its shiny veneer. Starring Eva Green, Michael Keaton, Colin Farrell, Danny DeVito & Alan Arkin.

Dev Patel stars in, "Hotel Mumbai". The true story of the Taj Hotel terrorist attack in Mumbai. Hotel staff risk their lives to keep everyone safe as people make unthinkable sacrifices to protect themselves and their families. Also starring Armie Hammer, Nazanin Boniadi, Anupam Kher & Jason Issacs.

Keira Knightley stars in, "The Aftermath". Post World War II, a British colonel and his wife are assigned to live in Hamburg during the post-war reconstruction, but tensions arise with the German who previously owned the house. Also starring Alexander Skarsgard & Jason Clarke.

Matthew McConaughey stars in, "The Beach Bum". A rebellious stoner named Moondog lives life by his own rules. Also starring Snoop Dogg, Isla Fisher, Martin Lawrence, Jonah Hill & Zac Efron.

In "Us", A family's serenity turns to chaos when a group of doppelgängers begin to terrorize them. Starring Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, Anna Diop & Kara Hayward.

In "Captive State", Set in a Chicago neighborhood nearly a decade after an occupation by an extra-terrestrial force, Captive State explores the lives on both sides of the conflict - the collaborators and dissidents. Starring Vera Farmiga, Machine Gun Kelly, Kiki Layne & John Goodman.

"Wonder Park", tells the story of a magnificent amusement park where the imagination of a wildly creative girl named June comes alive. Starring the voices of Brianna Denski, Jennifer Garner, Kenan Thompson, Ken Hudson Campbell, Mila Kunis & Matthew Broderick.

In "Five Feet Apart", A pair of teenagers with life-threatening illnesses meet in a hospital and fall in love. Starring Haley Lu Richardson, Cole Sprouse, Claire Forlani, Moises Arias & Parminder Nagra.

Finally, in "A Madea Family Funeral", A joyous family reunion becomes a hilarious nightmare as Madea and the crew travel to backwoods Georgia, where they find themselves unexpectedly planning a funeral that might unveil unsavory family secrets. Starring Tyler Perry, Cassi Davis, Patrice Lovely & Mike Tyson.

Calendar with Trailers.

3/1

"A Madea Family Funeral":     https://www.madea.movie/

3/8

"Captain Marvel":     https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/

3/15

"Wonder Park":     https://www.paramount.com/movies/wonder-park

"Five Feet Apart":     https://www.fivefeetapartfilm.com/

"The Aftermath":     http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theaftermath/

"Captive State":     http://focusfeatures.com/captivestate

3/22

"Us":     https://www.usmovie.com/

"Hotel Mumbai":     https://bleeckerstreetmedia.com/hotelmumbai

3/29

"Dumbo":    https://movies.disney.com/dumbo-2019

"The Beach Bum":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi1896200729?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

That's all for now. I will post a few Independent Films later. Until then.....Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rico said:

Just saw Captain Marvel, awesome! I would not mess with her, not at all.

She is very powerful, and as good as Brie Larson was, there is something missing from this movie that is keeping it from being great.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. There have been better origin stories than this one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

She is very powerful, and as good as Brie Larson was, there is something missing from this movie that is keeping it from being great.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. There have been better origin stories than this one.

I had a lot of fun watching it & so did the opening night crowd. I don't judge these movies too hard, as long as I am entertained, I am happy. Just LOVED the soundtrack, especially from 2 of my 90's favs, Garbage and Hole, though I was not happy with the censored edit done to the one that blasted when the end credits started, friggin' Disney.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I had a lot of fun watching it & so did the opening night crowd. I don't judge these movies too hard, as long as I am entertained, I am happy. Just LOVED the soundtrack, especially from 2 of my 90's favs, Garbage and Hole, though I was not happy with the censored edit done to the one that blasted when the end credits started, friggin' Disney.

The opening with the Marvel Studios logo was a great moment.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/8/2019 at 11:48 PM, Mark Vader said:

The opening with the Marvel Studios logo was a great moment.

all things Stan Lee in that movie were amazing. I usually hate applause in movie theater, always seems a bit cheesey. But the applause in my theater for the marvel intro was great. 

As for thr movie, I’m with you on your other post. I enjoyed it, but I can’t quite put a finger on it, but something just felt off. The movie felt a bit different than most of the other marvel stuff.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Okay wtf is going on?

What's with all the crap that the Captain Marvel movie has been taking on?

I haven't even seen the movie yet, but it has the lowest audience ratings by Rotten Tomatoes for a Marvel movie in the Avengers cineverse EVER!!!  Lower than Thor: Ragnorok (which I couldn't stand) and the extremely forgettable Iron Man 2 & 3.

I know there's push back because, I guess, Brie Larson is viewed as some extreme feminist, but are there seriously this many Internet Trolls out there?  It's pretty irritating because usually I find the Audience scores more reflective of how good the movie is on Rotten Tomatoes than the Critic scores, but that 59% vs. 80% is clearly bullcrap.

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay wtf is going on?

What's with all the crap that the Captain Marvel movie has been taking on?

I haven't even seen the movie yet, but it has the lowest audience ratings by Rotten Tomatoes for a Marvel movie in the Avengers cineverse EVER!!!  Lower than Thor: Ragnorok (which I couldn't stand) and the extremely forgettable Iron Man 2 & 3.

I know there's push back because, I guess, Brie Larson is viewed as some extreme feminist, but are there seriously this many Internet Trolls out there?  It's pretty irritating because usually I find the Audience scores more reflective of how good the movie is on Rotten Tomatoes than the Critic scores, but that 59% vs. 80% is clearly bullcrap.

See the movie and decide for yourself.

I never look at a rotten tomatoes rating or review -- before or after seeing a movie.  That being said, maybe they're really only referring to the pace of the story, the plot, the acting, etc.

53 minutes ago, snafu said:

See the movie and decide for yourself.

I never look at a rotten tomatoes rating or review -- before or after seeing a movie.  That being said, maybe they're really only referring to the pace of the story, the plot, the acting, etc.

I will.  I'm in no rush... just gotta see it before Endgame.

As for the rotten tomatoes reviews, I used to look at those critic reviews and weigh them pretty heavily.

Over the years I've come to discover that the user reviews are the most accurate ratings in terms of how good a movie will be.

Just as a couple examples, The Hitman's Bodyguard currently sits at 42% critic's reviews (rotten) and 67% user reviews (fresh).  I remember going to see that movie in the first month it was out and the user reviews were in the 70% range, close to 80%.  

That movie was a blast.  Laugh out loud funny with great action.

The Greatest Showman currently sits at 56% critic's reviews (rotten) and 86% user reviews (fresh).  

That movie was also a blast... in a different way... and you've obviously gotta dig musicals.

Marvel's The Punisher on Netflix is another good example of wildly divergent opinions from critics vs. users... and another example of where I side with the users a lot more.

So I actually think those reviews are helpful, but mainly the user ratings.  That's why crap like this pisses off people who go to sites like that for a legitimate overall feeling of a movie from audiences:

https://news.avclub.com/the-morons-are-already-out-here-trying-to-tank-captain-1832753416

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I did today too.  Critics are wrong, it's no feminist manifesto, just a woman kicking ass.

I really liked it!

I saw it again, this time in 3D (1st time in Dolby Cinema). Still lots of fun, I put it near the top of the MCU. I still don't see anything feminist or SJW-ish about it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The second those rating started being mentioned in ads was the final nail in the coffin for them ha I guess any value. Studios can game the system in the opposite direction of what you’re seeing now. It’s just another system that’s in someone’s pocket. 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I will.  I'm in no rush... just gotta see it before Endgame.

I thnk that’s what’s going on with much of the audience for this movie. It was my only/main motivation. 

I honestly liked her character and didn’t get an overly feminist vibe at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/11/2019 at 5:43 PM, snafu said:

I thnk that’s what’s going on with much of the audience for this movie. It was my only/main motivation. 

I honestly liked her character and didn’t get an overly feminist vibe at all. 

Speaking of, here's the new End Game trailer from today: 

I saw Captain Marvel this weekend, thought it was a pretty good to middling Marvel offering. Enjoyed it.