Jets released C - Spencer Long

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..great points and analysis....would Ford be on your radar?...............

Thanks! Love Dee Ford, but I think he gets the franchise tag this year. There are some question marks though. KC has been a 3-4 base for many years. With Spagnolo coming in and shifting to a 4-3, it will be interesting how they view Ford. He is considered a smaller defensive end, same size as Jerry Hughes, and while he plays a lot of the game with his hand in the dirt, the Chiefs need to determine if he can really be an every down base defensive end. 

I think there here is a chance they tag him and trade him, but I think it is more likely they tag him and see how he fits in their new defense for 1 year at least. 

In terms of edge defenders, I think the most likely guy to hit the market is Trey Flowers of the Pats and if he does, I assume he heads to Detroit or Miami. I think Clowney, Lawrence, and Ford get the tag. My favorite player out of the group is probably Frank Clark, but I think he goes back to the Seahawks. 

In all honesty, I think Beane will target at least two veteran offensive lineman and a tight end. I think the defensive is improved via the draft. But I like our defense overall, we just really need a 3 technique. Unless you love Sheldon Richardson or the Rams cut Michael Brockers, that player likely comes via the draft. 

12 minutes ago, WizdomCalling said:

Can still someone clarify if the bills can sign players that are released? Or do they have to wait until free agency?

Players who are released are available to be signed right away. We signed released players Chris Ivory and Vontae Davis before free agency last year. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WizdomCalling said:

Can still someone clarify if the bills can sign players that are released? Or do they have to wait until free agency?

A player released during season or after can be signed immediately. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017066/article/jets-release-center-spencer-long-after-just-one-season

We need all the linemen we can get. I am not sure if he is any good, I mean they did think he would be the next Nick Mangold so I guess that's something.

I'm sure Beane is doing his due diligence on this. What do you guys think?

What do I think?  The offseason is always way too long and starts way too early for us.