What Should I Do With Old Sports Trading Cards?

BillyWhiteShows

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

The only ones that are going to be worth anything are the PSA (more reputable) or Beckett graded rookies / errors / rares.  Everything else is junk.  And if its from the 80s/90s it better be graded at least a 9 to be worth anything (most likely a 10).  Since it is expensive to get it graded I wouldn't even try with anything damaged on the corners, off center, or bad print quality.  Most likely, you are sitting on a bunch of junk that should be thrown away, burned, given to youngsters, because it ain't going to be worth squat.  Thats what happens when they print millions of copies of the exact same card.

Tough love 

• 2 weeks later...

Is my collection of all the Fran Mullins cards moving up in value?

he played on 3 teams

the 80 ChiSox with 70 wins

the 84 Giants with 66 wins

the 86 Tribe with 84

not often one looks on playing with the Tribe back then as the glory days

38 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I tried to cash in on Dahlin fever by putting all my old Ulf Dahlen hockey cards on Ebay.  Interest has been tepid but I think after he wins Rookie of the Year I'll be raking it in.

you get the right players in the offer and reply there?

On 2/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, Just Jack said:

If anyone has the Peerless Price Stadium Club #81 card and wants to sell, I'll give you 25 cents for each one, looks like this...

PPSC81.JPG

Jack is the guy munching Peerless' armpit not the one clapping like a girl.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, That's No Moon said:

The reason the old cards were valuable were because so many fewer were made and so many of those were destroyed either in bicycle spokes or by mother's cleaning attics.  The 80's and 90's they printed millions of cards and everybody kept them.  The only way those cards EVER get more value is if enough people Marie Kondo them.  It's not super likely.  I keep some of mine because I like them and they remind me of my childhood.  I have a handful that are decent cards and a couple boxes of commons.

Bottom line, if they don't give you any personal joy then you need to get rid of the commons because they will never bring you any financial gain.  The handful of keepers you have?  Nowadays even those aren't worth squat unless they've been graded.  So unless you are willing to pay to send those cards away for grading then don't bother keeping them either.

The top of the baseball card bubble 85'-89' was the beginning of the apocalypse for geeky collectors but a fun time for hustling.

Where do the places like "corporate dining" get all their props, etc... To decorate their establishments?  Maybe you can look into that?

Like the poster above mentioned.  Maybe you'd go into a TGIFridays and see them embedded in tables, etc...

They gotta buy all that old crap somewhere?  Is there a clearing house for this stuff?

I can sell them an old ski or two... Pair of boots they can bolt to the wall... LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois