Have You Used ESPN+?

I have a friend that is fighting in the UFC event tomorrow and I would like to watch.  It is only being shown on ESPN+ apparently and so far it has been a pain in the ass trying to get this set up properly.  I signed up for the free 7 day trial and can view some of the content.  I will be looking to stream the event to my Vizio Smart TV and can usually simply stream from my phone or computer.  Before I invite friends over to watch, I would like to know if this is a reliable stream.   I am having issues with the ESPN+ login and updating settings and it just seems like a really poorly set up website.  Has anyone used ESPN+ successfully?  I hate ESPN and really wish there were other options for this event!

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

Thanks for the warning.  No, I haven’t used it, but was thinking of trying it out for tonight’s Cornell/Union hockey game.  But I have almost zero patience for difficult setups.

I use the watchespn app on my PS4 and my iphone, and I'm able to watch most games.  I get it for free through DirecTV.

5 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

I have a friend that is fighting in the UFC event tomorrow and I would like to watch.  It is only being shown on ESPN+ apparently and so far it has been a pain in the ass trying to get this set up properly.  I signed up for the free 7 day trial and can view some of the content.  I will be looking to stream the event to my Vizio Smart TV and can usually simply stream from my phone or computer.  Before I invite friends over to watch, I would like to know if this is a reliable stream.   I am having issues with the ESPN+ login and updating settings and it just seems like a really poorly set up website.  Has anyone used ESPN+ successfully?  I hate ESPN and really wish there were other options for this event!

It's been reliable thus far. We use it through our Firestick. 

Conversely, I'm amazed by how poorly BR Live has been rolled out.  I've had problems with it every time I've purchased an event. 

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Is ESPN plus the same as WatchESPN? If so I use it through my xbox to watch Miami Hurricane games on occasion. Sometimes the resolution sucks and the feed is choppy, but that may be due to my wifi.

Yes and no. Some games on WatchESPN require an ESPN+ subscription. And yes, the feed sometimes stalls and I have to constantly restart it. Annoying.

Supposedly I get a subscription to ESPN Insider with my + subscription, but I haven't tried it yet.

26 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I wish you would have told me that back in the fall...I knew I was doing something wrong.

I hope the UB is getting a cut from that subscription fee. I'm not wild about paying $5/mo, especially after giving me all those UB games for free the last few years. But I will only need to pay 6 months out of the year. They let you turn in on and off at will.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 2/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Is ESPN plus the same as WatchESPN?

No.  It is a separate subscription service.  Some games overlap with WatchESPN but others require an ESPN+ subscription

Disney, the parent company of ESPN, has been working on their own streaming service to compete with Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.  I suspect ESPN+ is the beta test for the sports section of their streaming service.  And quite possibly laying the foundation for ESPN's eventual divorce from traditional cable providers

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, /dev/null said:

No.  It is a separate subscription service.  Some games overlap with WatchESPN but others require an ESPN+ subscription

Disney, the parent company of ESPN, has been working on their own streaming service to compete with Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.  I suspect ESPN+ is the beta test for the sports section of their streaming service.  And quite possibly laying the foundation for ESPN's eventual divorce from traditional cable providers

Thank you for this clarification. Much appreciated as I was curious too but even a basic google search didn’t really help me with my question.