1993 Bills - only team to beat last 3 SB champs?

Dan Darragh

3 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

No chance they beat that Redskins team 40 out of 50 games.   

Redskins cakewalk 1 million out of 1 million "replays"

17 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I remember arguing with a friend that the Bills going to 4 straight SB's was an amazing achievement.  He countered that it wasn't such a big deal because they played in the weaker AFC. 

That bothered me so I did a little research and proved my friend wrong and showed just how WEIRD those Bills SB teams were.  The bottom line is that had the Bills played in the NFC they still might have gone to 4 straight SB's and lost every one of them to an AFC team - my proof:

During the 4 years the Bills went to the SB their inter-conference record against the NFC was an astonishing 14 - 2!  And this included beating a lot of NFC playoff teams!  This also included beating, ON THE ROAD, two teams (Giants & Cowboys) that would go on and beat them that year in the SB! 

Looking even closer the two losses were season ending games in which Buffalo HAD ALREADY clinched the home field advantage throughout the playoffs!  The Bills rested many of their starters in what were to Buffalo, meaningless games. 

The ONLY plausible explanation for the Bills SB losses is that someone put a hex on them. 

a little research like

THE NFC WON 13 STRAIGHT SBs IN A ROW, MANY OF THEM TOTAL CAKEWALK STEAMROLLS???????????????

and the bookend wins by the Raiders and Broncos were considered upsets as well

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

a little research like

THE NFC WON 13 STRAIGHT SBs IN A ROW, MANY OF THEM TOTAL CAKEWALK STEAMROLLS???????????????

I need to take some Advil after that...my electronic ears are ringing 33! ;) Just think, the Bills' blowout SB loss in XXVII wasn't even the worst of the bunch during that run--the '89 49ers handling the Elway Broncos 55-10 comes to mind...for this list of the worst all time losses, we only made it to #4, lol:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/biggest-super-bowl-blowouts-nfl-history.html/

On 1/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, Livinginthepast said:

As much as I loved that team, the players, the comeback and all the other great games and entertainment they gave me in those years, I cannot forgive them for losing those 4 SBs. The lack of poise, preparedness, discipline and clutch they showed in those games will forever haunt me. They should have won EVERY one of those SB games and they just choked as a unit (coaches and players) in all of them.

As for the Op's question. He's probably right about the Bills having that honour. No other team has made it to 4 in a row so beating the previous 3 winners in the season after the SB loss #3 would only be possible for them. I do remember that game in Dallas in 1993 when they beat the Cowboys 13-10 in a defensive struggle. In some ways I felt vindicated after all my Bills hating friends said they weren't in the same league as the Cowboys after the SB destruction. Then again it was like salt in the wound! The Bills could do it against a great team, just not when the pressure was maxed and it mattered!

If I recall correctly,  Emmit Smith sat out the first two games and the Cowboys started 0-2.    That helped a lot. 

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

a little research like

While the NFC SB streak versus the AFC at that time is interesting IMO it is not very relevant to the question of the Buffalo Bills 4 straight SB losses.  My point was that it didn't matter whether the AFC was strong or weak during this time as the Bills were loaded with future HOF players and would have been an elite team in the NFC during that 4 year stretch.  

I again point to the fact that during those 4 years the Bills/NFC regular season record, which equaled a full season of play, was 14 - 2.  This included beating a number of NFC playoff/SB teams.  In fact it's not hard to project that had the Bills actually needed to win those 2 season ending losses against NFC teams they might have gone 16 - 0 during that period!  Remember how in one of those losses the bills SECOND TEAM lost in OT to a Detroit squad that needed to win the game to make the playoffs. 

In fact given the Bills record against NFC teams during their SB run I believe they may have gone to at least 3 SB's in a row (1990, 1991, 1992 seasons).  How effective do you think Dallas & Washington would have been playing at Rich Stadium in January for the NFC championship game? 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Success said:

I don’t agree that they should have won all 4.  They absolutely should have won the first, and that likely would have led to a win against the Redskins.  It was too much in their head “not to be the Broncos” at that point, and they were way too tight for that game.

But those Cowboys teams were just better.  Bills should be 2-2, imo.

I agree the Cowboys were probably better but they hadn't yet evolved into the swaggering powerhouse that they would become. I just watched that first SB game vs the Cowboys. It really is grim watching but I still believe the Bills and Cowboys really weren't that far apart. The Bills unfortunately play probably one of their worst games ever in this SB.  5 turnovers in the first half. Kelly threw 3 really bad INTs, one from the 5 yard line was an absolute killer.  Thurman Thomas with a game breaking fumble, and a series of other gifts to the Cowboys.  Kelly's injury obviously finished any chance they had but the whole team had played an absolutely embarrassing game by that time. 

The sad fact of the game is that the Bills looked completely unprepared for anything Dallas did, like they hadn't watched any game film. The Bills game plan on both sides of the ball showed no sophistication whatsoever. By the time the Bills got to the 3rd quarter they were still in it but they had lost all hope and they just resorted to the "here we go again" loser mentality. Watching that game now I cannot help but think that it might have helped to have hired a sports psychologist to work with the team even after the first SB but esp after the Redskins one. Or even right before this game.  Anything to try to break the mental barrier of losing the big one. Maybe they didn't do such things back then?   I also think that they should have abandoned their no huddle game plan as it had really been exposed by that time and good teams knew how to beat it.

Despite all this I still think that much of what occurred was really freakish. This game should have been a lot closer and if the Bills had done a better job in preparation and strategy they could have won it.

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

We actually won the first half scoring battle in Super Bowl 25 (12-10) & 28 (13-6).

Unfortunately we were (7-10) & (0-24), 

That's the crazy part (one of them), we actually usually looked competent coming out of the gate--even in SB27, we did some things that made me think this was going to be the one during the 1st quarter before the wheels came off. Josh has his work cut out for him, but I have faith that we have the right guys in place in building a solid foundation for a springboard back to playoff glory.