Green Bay Wisconsin forecast

Ice bowl 67

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

we probably agree on a good number of things. 

part of being a good neighbor is telling you when your batshit crazy. i would hope that when i go off the rails (as we all do occasionally) someone has the gumption to tell me the same.

LoL... I just don't trust the Airlines over the people and a little BO.  But, I am not getting my face pushed to the jetway and cuffed either.  

Oh, you are off the rails in the other thread.  ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

In the end does it really matter.

Adapt and overcome.  Practice old-school conservatism, etc... 

I see no reason to engage on this subject any further. I don’t care what people do or don’t do with data. Like you said, adapt and overcome. Really no other decent choice to make. Although I love some of the geo-engineering theories and solutions being put forth.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

we probably agree on a good number of things. 

part of being a good neighbor is telling you when your batshit crazy. i would hope that when i go off the rails (as we all do occasionally) someone has the gumption to tell me the same.

what happened back when areas of the globe that were once arid are now are desert? did the people back then affect the earths climate or did the Earth just go through a period of change as it does periodically?

global warming really is a misnomer, climate change is probably closer to a truism.

Climate change works for me. I’m just alluding to the Arctic effect of the warmer temps that climate change is bringing. Arguing about whether it’s natural or that humans are contributing is a political distraction largely brought by industries that depend on contributing gases that add to the impact, whether largely, inconsequentially, or anywhere in between.

I don’t think there were any people around when those arid areas became deserts. The Sahara was an ocean over 7 million years ago. But that’s another discussion entirely. 

I appreciate the point about the naturally occurring geological changes the earth has gone through and continues to go through. It’s a young planet still evolving either slowly or through cataclysmic events. But we can’t act like humans and other carbon based life forms aren’t a part of that evolution, no matter how small or large a role we actively play or not. We are not on the sidelines simply observing nature, we are part of it. We have a tendency to think we’re separate somehow. A distinctly human ego trip.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Climate change works for me. I’m just alluding to the Arctic effect of the warmer temps that climate change is bringing. Arguing about whether it’s natural or that humans are contributing is a political distraction largely brought by industries that depend on contributing gases that add to the impact, whether largely, inconsequentially, or anywhere in between.

I don’t think there were any people around when those arid areas became deserts. The Sahara was an ocean over 7 million years ago. But that’s another discussion entirely. 

I appreciate the point about the naturally occurring geological changes the earth has gone through and continues to go through. It’s a young planet still evolving either slowly or through cataclysmic events. But we can’t act like humans and other carbon based life forms aren’t a part of that evolution, no matter how small or large a role we actively play or not. We are not on the sidelines simply observing nature, we are part of it. We have a tendency to think we’re separate somehow. A distinctly human ego trip.

i guess my contention is that the Earth itself is a larger driver of climate change than man is. 

i think (?) we both agree that the Jet Stream(s) are the main driver of weather patterns on a global scale. if we take a look at volcanic activity on the Earth, it is decidedly more active in recent years, which then begs to reason that the same thing is happening with these underwater vents. when you have landmass building on the ocean floor, it also stands to reason that your deep sea currents are moving due to said land mass evolving. 

methane is another gas that contributes to a warming effect. it is generally believed that the permafrost in the arctic contains much of this methane. couple this with a changing jet stream and one compounds the other. that being said, i think that there is  a good argument that there is currently the same amount of glacier coverage on both poles as there was at the turn of the 20th century.

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i guess my contention is that the Earth itself is a larger driver of climate change than man is. 

i think (?) we both agree that the Jet Stream(s) are the main driver of weather patterns on a global scale. if we take a look at volcanic activity on the Earth, it is decidedly more active in recent years, which then begs to reason that the same thing is happening with these underwater vents. when you have landmass building on the ocean floor, it also stands to reason that your deep sea currents are moving due to said land mass evolving. 

methane is another gas that contributes to a warming effect. it is generally believed that the permafrost in the arctic contains much of this methane. couple this with a changing jet stream and one compounds the other. that being said, i think that there is  a good argument that there is currently the same amount of glacier coverage on both poles as there was at the turn of the 20th century.

I agree. 

But does that mean our contribution is so insignificant that it is simply not worth trying to mitigate our contributions? Why exacerbate the problem if we have a choice? 

I ask this rhetorically as I’m not seeking to discuss the politics involved. 

I’ll just leave by saying we have a custodial responsibility to this planet and the future generations yet to arrive to inhabit it. We either care about protecting it for them or not. 

Cold weather in Wisconsin? You dont say

Will it be hot in the desert too and will WNY see lake effect snow? Lol

Global warming doesnt mean there will be no more cold. It is believed that it will just lead to harsher conditions and more extreme weather. Colder snaps in winter, hotter periods in the summer. More storms, etc.

As for global warming and climate change, theres no denying that it's a thing, there are facts proving it. But the debate about it is whether it's because of humans, or just a natural cycle of the Earth (or a bit of both). Remember when we were all destroying the planet and the irreparable 'ozone layer' with our pollution? 

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I agree. 

But does that mean our contribution is so insignificant that it is simply not worth trying to mitigate our contributions? Why exacerbate the problem if we have a choice? 

I ask this rhetorically as I’m not seeking to discuss the politics involved. 

I’ll just leave by saying we have a custodial responsibility to this planet and the future generations yet to arrive to inhabit it. We either care about protecting it for them or not. 

sure. and i will leave it with my opinion that we have so little empirical data to make the necessary calculations, that coming to a sound conclusion is currently impossible at best.

myself, I am pretty green, but that is my choice, not one that has been foisted upon me.  i employ solar panels along with the latest in house and home green energy. my largest carbon footprint by far is my truck but that is not so far off the path that other drivers employ outside of electric cars. due to my chosen profession, i need a truck. i also go to extremes in recycling, not because of a belief in climate change, i just think it is the right thing to do.

Edited by Foxx

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In WNY, they close schools because of snow. In the Midwest, they close schools because of the bitter cold. The first time it happened after we moved here, they said, "Exposed flesh will freeze in less than a minute." Yeah, you don't want kids standing at the bus stop in those temperatures. Heck, that's not even enough time to get from the parking lot to the building.

So much for the assless chaps on casual Friday.

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In WNY, they close schools because of snow. In the Midwest, they close schools because of the bitter cold. The first time it happened after we moved here, they said, "Exposed flesh will freeze in less than a minute." Yeah, you don't want kids standing at the bus stop in those temperatures. Heck, that's not even enough time to get from the parking lot to the building.

Buffalo schools actually closed last Tuesday due to the frigid temps rather than snow. 

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

sure. and i will leave it with my opinion that we have so little empirical data to make the necessary calculations, that coming to a sound conclusion is currently impossible at best.

myself, I am pretty green, but that is my choice, not one that has been foisted upon me.  i employ solar panels along with the latest in house and home green energy. my largest carbon footprint by far is my truck but that is not so far off the path that other drivers employ outside of electric cars. due to my chosen profession, i need a truck. i also go to extremes in recycling, not because of a belief in climate change, i just think it is the right thing to do.

It's funny cause we are all told how it's so important to recycle, but do you know what happens to your recyclables after they are taken? Many places throw a bunch of it out or arent recycling certain things because it's too expensive to do, or because theres such an abundance of the material right now they dont need more. Plastics are one of them

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny cause we are all told how it's so important to recycle, but do you know what happens to your recyclables after they are taken? Many places throw a bunch of it out or arent recycling certain things because it's too expensive to do, or because theres such an abundance of the material right now they dont need more. Plastics are one of them

i actually meant scrap recycling. due to my chosen profession, i accumulate discarded building materials. i am so anal that i save all the old nails, screws staples and throw them into a bucket. i don't get enough to make it worth the effort but do it regardless. now copper piping copper wire and aluminum is well worth it, but i actually do it to try and be a responsible human being.

i do know about the recycling. a awhile back my good friend from Billrica, MA. used to work at the newly built Raytheon recycling center here down on Lexington Ave.(?) at that point the profit margin was marginal. regardless, i think that perhaps if companies are going to sell things in those containers they should be responsible for the incurred cost of recycling them. our oceans certainly don't need any more of that crap thrown into it. that said, this is a slippery slope. i am against mandating most anything because i don't believe that is a proper freedom, i just wish that people/companies were more socially responsible.

18 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

This Wednesday's high will be -9 below zero and a low of 18 below. The night before will be 22 below, can you say Ouch!

My sister lives in Appleton and I follow her weather this time of year. I asked her why they are retired and still live there. She gave me an answer. Not a good answer (in my mind!), but an answer. Atlanta is too far north for me. I’m a wuss. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

My sister lives in Appleton and I follow her weather this time of year. I asked her why they are retired and still live there. She gave me an answer. Not a good answer (in my mind!), but an answer. Atlanta is too far north for me. I’m a wuss. 

I like the change of seasons, the snow.  Just not too much to keep you always shoveling.

I just wish it would stay 15° from Thanksgiving to Easter... Then go right to spring.  Snow, stay frozen..  Mud, the up and down sucks.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I like the change of seasons, the snow.  Just not too much to keep you always shoveling.

I just wish it would stay 15° from Thanksgiving to Easter... Then go right to spring.  Snow, stay frozen..  Mud, the up and down sucks.

I actually LOVE snow, but a week of it is plenty for me...then a nice plane ride home.  ?

My sister (tall, skinny, never smoked, walked the dog several miles/day) had quadruple bypass surgery 3-4 years ago. Ever since she is almost always cold. I was not aware that this was a thing, but it is for her. If you START cold, 15 below is cruel and unusual. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I actually LOVE snow, but a week of it is plenty for me...then a nice plane ride home.  ?

My sister (tall, skinny, never smoked, walked the dog several miles/day) had quadruple bypass surgery 3-4 years ago. Ever since she is almost always cold. I was not aware that this was a thing, but it is for her. If you START cold, 15 below is cruel and unusual. 

Cold tolerance is acquired.  I just wore a hoodie to work today and it was -4°, 12° now.  I am so screwed if i break down.  I should probably throw a coat in my truck.  I do have work gloves, hat, blanket, and chocolate bars... Probably should throw a sleeping bag too.

But... Most important, got a phone to call my wife!  LoL... She has heated seats and steering wheel! ?

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cold tolerance is acquired.  I just wore a hoodie to work today and it was -4°, 12° now.  I am so screwed if i break down.  I should probably throw a coat in my truck.  I do have work gloves, hat, blanket, and chocolate bars... Probably should throw a sleeping bag too.

But... Most important, got a phone to call my wife!  LoL... She has heated seats and steering wheel! ?

I acquired cold tolerance growing up in WNY. I gave it to Goodwill when I moved to Florida. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

i actually meant scrap recycling. due to my chosen profession, i accumulate discarded building materials. i am so anal that i save all the old nails, screws staples and throw them into a bucket. i don't get enough to make it worth the effort but do it regardless. now copper piping copper wire and aluminum is well worth it, but i actually do it to try and be a responsible human being.

i do know about the recycling. a awhile back my good friend from Billrica, MA. used to work at the newly built Raytheon recycling center here down on Lexington Ave.(?) at that point the profit margin was marginal. regardless, i think that perhaps if companies are going to sell things in those containers they should be responsible for the incurred cost of recycling them. our oceans certainly don't need any more of that crap thrown into it. that said, this is a slippery slope. i am against mandating most anything because i don't believe that is a proper freedom, i just wish that people/companies were more socially responsible.

I'm the same way with scrap metal. If I have something metal, even small pieces of pipe, wire or nails i throw them in a bucket in my garage until i have a bunch of things to scrap. I wont take anything metal to the dump, i refuse to pay to throw it away when someone will pay me for it.

As for the other stuff, many places today have charges or fees added on to them that's supposed to be to help cover the future recycling cost. We have an electronic recycling charge on any electronics you buy. Basically they just pass the buck onto the consumer. Then the place recycling it will make a buck off it too.

• Like (+1) 1