How far do we let The Dude's Racism Go?

I'm all for free speech and I can easily ignore him.

But these are private forums so free speech doesn't necessarily exist here.

I get the argument that stupidity is fun to play with once in a while, but I just can't see the fun in egging on racism.

We seem to enjoy discussing racism or mistaken racism in society, how about here in our own forum?

12 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

I get the argument that stupidity is fun to play with once in a while, but I just can't see the fun in egging on racism.

We seem to enjoy discussing racism or mistaken racism in society, how about here in our own forum?

I just ignore him but I don’t think a ban is out of order.

19 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Just block  (ignore) him. Hover over his avatar and click ignore.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I know my options, but are we willing to discuss whether or not The Dude is racist and what if anything we should do about it?

We've discussed many situations about racism, how about the 1 right in front of us?

Edited by Joe Miner

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Or click his avatar multiple times and pretend your punching him in the face.

I'm torn on the subject.  I'm not one to clutch at pearls and silence asshats because they're asshats - quite the contrary.  I'm not a liberal who has to be protected from even the least unlikely form of hurt feelings, and do believe that people shouldn't be silenced - asshats in particular, since I believe their asshattery should be on display for all to see, so people know to avoid them.  Buggery***** behavior such as his only thrives in the shadows, so by all means let him put it on display, so everyone understands what a shitbird he is.

Plus...he's the quintessential ignored teenager acting out for attention.  Banning him is giving him exactly what he wants - recognition for his bad behavior - and encourages him.  

And then there's the observation I've made before: all his angry shitposting becomes evidence in his criminal trial when he finally snaps, beats his wife, and shoots up a Sikh gurdwara in the mistaken belief that "they're towelheads, and Islam must be destroyed."

But on the other hand, I certainly understand the desire to have him banned - I'm certainly sick of his *****.  And I doubt SDS wants his virulent racism associated with the site, despite the future evidentiary value (or even because of it - though his vitriol doesn't rise to the level of actionable now, it will certainly look bad in retrospect after he snaps and kills several people.  Bad enough to the point of civil liability, I'd think.)

Hell, that last point alone - SDS could be civilly liable for not doing anything after The_Dude snaps - is more than enough to ban him, I'd think.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Dinguses need to reference why their making such assertions. It is a lot to come here to try and silence someone without referencing why. That makes me wonder if you belong here.

Haven't read his posts, have you?

I don't blame you - they're awful.  But really, his posting history is available, and not subtle.  I shudder to think of the PMs some people must receive.

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Dinguses need to reference why their making such assertions. It is a lot to come here to try and silence someone without referencing why. That makes me wonder if you belong here.

Nice.

If you haven't read his posts on these forums do your own homework Sue before you jump in to the conversation.

And never did I say we should silence him. This is a failing attempt to elicit a discussion on what if anything we should be saying or doing.  But good job reading.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Haven't read his posts, have you?

I don't blame you - they're awful.  But really, his posting history is available, and not subtle.  I shudder to think of the PMs some people must receive.

Still, cite what you're alleging. Blanket crap like this is lazy and below standards.

Just now, Joe Miner said:

Nice.

If you haven't read his posts on these forums do your own homework Sue before you jump in to the conversation.

And never did I say we should silence him. This is a failing attempt to elicit a discussion on what if anything we should be saying or doing.  But good job reading.

Honestly...despite the sarcastic nature of what I wrote above, the more I think about it the more I wonder if SDS is open to any future civil liability having The_Dude on the board.  

Nice.

Lazy post.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Or click his avatar multiple times and pretend your punching him in the face.

I'm torn on the subject.  I'm not one to clutch at pearls and silence asshats because they're asshats - quite the contrary.  I'm not a liberal who has to be protected from even the least unlikely form of hurt feelings, and do believe that people shouldn't be silenced - asshats in particular, since I believe their asshattery should be on display for all to see, so people know to avoid them.  Buggery***** behavior such as his only thrives in the shadows, so by all means let him put it on display, so everyone understands what a shitbird he is.

Plus...he's the quintessential ignored teenager acting out for attention.  Banning him is giving him exactly what he wants - recognition for his bad behavior - and encourages him.  

And then there's the observation I've made before: all his angry shitposting becomes evidence in his criminal trial when he finally snaps, beats his wife, and shoots up a Sikh gurdwara in the mistaken belief that "they're towelheads, and Islam must be destroyed."

But on the other hand, I certainly understand the desire to have him banned - I'm certainly sick of his *****.  And I doubt SDS wants his virulent racism associated with the site, despite the future evidentiary value (or even because of it - though his vitriol doesn't rise to the level of actionable now, it will certainly look bad in retrospect after he snaps and kills several people.  Bad enough to the point of civil liability, I'd think.)

Hell, that last point alone - SDS could be civilly liable for not doing anything after The_Dude snaps - is more than enough to ban him, I'd think.  

Thanks for choosing to discuss.

Just now, Paulus said:

Still, cite what you're alleging. Blanket crap like this is lazy and below standards.

Blanket crap is pretty much the standard here.  

Blanket crap the specifics of which you can find yourself in about five minutes is well above the standard.

Thanks for choosing to discuss.

It's pretty sad that my profane and obvious sarcasm and belittlement passes as discussion here.

Still...as I wrote that, I did start to seriously wonder about liability issues.  We're not responsible for his thoughts, or his posts, or his future actions...but how much will we be perceived to be responsible for his future actions if his posts come to light?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The Dude is not the person with the darkest background here, as most of us know. 

This is is an accepting place. 

That's cute

47 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Nope. Ignore him for now, as I do.  Unless he goes to the next level of starting a million threads constantly and bumping old posts it's easy to ignore him

Besides he'd just be back as someone else like the rest of the trolls.  I myself used to go by the moniker "ajzepp" 

I

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Honestly...despite the sarcastic nature of what I wrote above, the more I think about it the more I wonder if SDS is open to any future civil liability having The_Dude on the board.  

I tend to feel I'm pretty tolerant of what most people consider racist, as I try to separate ignorance and stupidity from actual racism.

But some of his posts the last few days are beyond ignorant and plain #######  comments. 

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's cute

Nope. Ignore him for now, as I do.  Unless he goes to the next level of starting a million threads constantly and bumping old posts it's easy to ignore him

Besides he'd just be back as someone else like the rest of the trolls.  I myself used to go by the moniker "ajzepp" 

And I guess that is the question.

We can all choose to ignore him and his racism. 

Is that the best choice?  I agree sometimes it is.  Are we sure this is one of those times?

3 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

I

I tend to feel I'm pretty tolerant of what most people consider racist, as I try to separate ignorance and stupidity from actual racism.

But some of his posts the last few days are beyond ignorant and plain #######  comments. 

And I guess that is the question.

We can all choose to ignore him and his racism. 

Is that the best choice?  I agree sometimes it is.  Are we sure this is one of those times?

He's going to be his shitastic self regardless and he would just come back reincarnated as somebody else potentially with a new stick that we'd have to go through and figure out who the hell is this dumbass...

Unfortunately the world is full of people we're not going to agree with and they're going to keep coming around at times we do not enjoy. The best we can do is just simply ignore him

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Blanket crap is pretty much the standard here.  

Blanket crap the specifics of which you can find yourself in about five minutes is well above the standard.

It's pretty sad that my profane and obvious sarcasm and belittlement passes as discussion here.

Still...as I wrote that, I did start to seriously wonder about liability issues.  We're not responsible for his thoughts, or his posts, or his future actions...but how much will we be perceived to be responsible for his future actions if his posts come to light?

giphy.webp

18 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's cute

I always thought you used to be Dog14787.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

I

You haven't been around much then, recently.  He's been pretty tame the last few days.

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

giphy.webp

Now who's being lazy?