Should kids get participation trophies for playing sports?

Another Fan

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

That's only a risk for children whose parents don't prepare them properly.  I've made my son well aware of the fact that life isn't always "fair."  Generally speaking, the problem (as you stated) is that some kids grow up with a sense of entitlement.  Those kids aren't being properly prepared for real life.

All of this boils down to parenting.

Great point!

On 1/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, That's No Moon said:

He also has a left taillight from a 2013 Mazda CX-9 on his shelf.  He won a tournament and played great all weekend.  After the final game, somebody busted our taillight for us. The one right next to the sticker with his name and number on it.  We assumed it wasn't accidental and made it another trophy for the weekend.

Way to turn lemons into lemonade.

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, LeGOATski said:

Participation trophies aren't the problem. It's not keeping the score that's the problem. We still tell our kids "your team won/lost" at the end of the game, if they can't tell already. Some of the kids still keep score during the game themselves.

The problem are the insane parents who berate coaches, kids and officials. Getting referees is increasingly difficult in all sports as people stop doing it because it's not worth the hassle. Getting coaches is almost as difficult. I am anti participation trophy in general because I think they are wasteful but the reason the participation trophies exist is not because the kids asked for them, it's because there is a loud segment of parents that demand them.

If you win something that's fine, celebrate that. If you didn't win find another way to celebrate your improvement. If you were there just for fun then none for this conversation matters to you because you had fun. I've coached quite a bit as an adult, some paid gigs some volunteer, and there were plenty of times I knew our team wasn't going to win much and resetting those expectations for everyone early on wasn't fun but it made everyone happier in the end. We probably aren't going to do X but you as an individual can do Y if you work hard. Achieve your goal, take that win for yourself, and try to enjoy playing because you want to play.

When I got my current job I killed the participation trophies. If a coach wants to buy them or the parents want to buy them that is their business but it doesn't come out of my budget. My budget pays to help you improve as a student athlete. If our team wins a championship I buy the banner for our gym out of my own pocket.

Edited by That's No Moon

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If you win something that's fine, celebrate that. If you didn't win find another way to celebrate your improvement. If you were there just for fun then none for this conversation matters to you because you had fun. I've coached quite a bit as an adult, some paid gigs some volunteer, and there were plenty of times I knew our team wasn't going to win much and resetting those expectations for everyone early on wasn't fun but it made everyone happier in the end. We probably aren't going to do X but you as an individual can do Y if you work hard. Achieve your goal, take that win for yourself, and try to enjoy playing because you want to play.

The participation trophies basically facilitate that. When we hand them out we say something about the player and their improvements.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

When I got my current job I killed the participation trophies. If a coach wants to buy them or the parents want to buy them that is their business but it doesn't come out of my budget. My budget pays to help you improve as a student athlete. If our team wins a championship I buy the banner for our gym out of my own pocket.

I wouldn't pay for participation trophies, either.

School gym? They wouldn't pay for the banner?

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The participation trophies basically facilitate that. When we hand them out we say something about the player and their improvements.

I wouldn't pay for participation trophies, either.

School gym? They wouldn't pay for the banner?

They would. I challenge the kids to make me pay for it. They've made me buy 5 in 4 years and we've come in second 4 more times.

If they are kids learning the game its just that. My little ones aren't quite old enough for "competitive" sports. However, they know when they win and lose. They dont usually know the numerical score but can always tell the result. When they ask me "Whats the score or Did we win?" I usually hit them back with "If you had fun then you won. Its about learning the game , making friends and having fun." As a parent that coaches I try to make things fun and encouraging while having kids giving each others high 5's and telling each other good job. I personally think that once you compete in sports where you actually have to get through a try out to make a team, thats when the trophies for just being there go. Give a metal for it or some other kind of recognition for their efforts.  Explain that if you really want the results you've got to have the hard work and a little bit of luck. Thats what makes it a game and games are supposed to be fun. It's really not hard to teach kids winning and losing without being a jerk.