Greg Rosenthal QB Index

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Josh was hamstrung his rookie season by a) being the least pro-ready QB, b) having arguably the worst collection of talent around him, c) an inexperienced OC and d) no real QB mentor until midway through the season of the 5-1st round QBs.  And I'd still put him above at least 10 of the QBs mentioned on that list. 

Also don't forget he didn't come into camp getting starter reps.  IIRC he didn't even start getting much starter reps at all until towards the end of camp.  Guys like Mayfield and Darnold went in as starters and were treated as such.  That is not to say they did Allen wrong.  It was probably best for his development, I don't know.  It probably hampered his first few games at least.

Edited by Scott7975

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Also don't forget he didn't come into camp getting starter reps.  IIRC he didn't even start getting much starter reps at all until towards the end of camp.  Guys like Mayfield and Darnold went in as starters and were treated as such.  That is not to say they did Allen wrong.  It was probably best for his development, I don't know.  It probably hampered his first few games at least.

Darnold was the only rookie given starter's reps.  All the others had veterans playing/starting in front of them, at least on opening day.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:52 AM, CommonCents said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007337/article/qb-index-patrick-mahomes-leads-yearend-rankings

Allen at 32nd.

Scattershot accuracy

How could Jackson be higher than Allen as he runs and doesn’t pass well? I hope Josh stays motivated and crushes it next year. 

Jackson had a better comp %, better TD %, and lower INT %. Also 6-1 BTW. If he doesn't pass well, what the hell does that mean for Allen? I personally think they both have played well. 

Allen played in twice as many games and only had 800 more yards passing and 4 more passing TDs. I personally like Allen and his potential over Lamar but that statement is just plain incorrect. If Lamar played as much as Allen he was on pace to have better numbers pretty much everywhere. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Jackson had a better comp %, better TD %, and lower INT %. Also 6-1 BTW. If he doesn't pass well, what the hell does that mean for Allen? I personally think they both have played well. 

Allen played in twice as many games and only had 800 more yards passing and 4 more passing TDs. I personally like Allen and his potential over Lamar but that statement is just plain incorrect. If Lamar played as much as Allen he was on pace to have better numbers pretty much everywhere.

Not sure where you're getting your stats from, but Jackson started 7 games and threw sparingly in 4 others.  He averaged 159 yards passing in those 7 starts.  Josh started 11 games and averaged 182 yards passing a game.

As for TD's, Josh had 10 passing and 8 rushing in those 11 starts while Jackson had 5 passing and 5 rushing in his 7 starts.  The INT's were lower for Jackson and his completion rate was higher, but Jackson had a far better offense around him in terms of OL, receivers, and a running game (4.4 YPC versus 3.6 YPC if you remove what each QB provided).

And W-L is a team stat.

I could agree with this ranking if Allen’s good games and bad games were spread out all year long. The kid ended on high note, not just in the last game but in the last 6 games. Even in the Pats game he threw 3 good passes that should of been TDs. How do ya rate QBs (especially young ones) and not consider how they played as the season went on? 

Edited by BananaB