Why the Bills Made a Mistake by Cutting Benjamin instead of Clay

dezertbill

Cutting Benjamin was the most logical move to my eyes.   He was targeted often, at least early and the season, and dropped a lot of passes.  That is very bad when you are talking about your #1 WR.  I don't think the dead cap money means much either way.

Clay was dependable once in a while and will be gone next season.

Sadly, both came to Buffalo with high expectations and disappointed severely.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:35 PM, dezertbill said:

They can't.  We only have $7.06 mil in cap space left after cutting Benjamin. Clay's dead cap is $13.5 million.    Emotions aside, the better biz decision was to cut Clay this year and let KB walk in FA.

I think you're misreading or misunderstanding the cap info on Spotrac or Overthecap.

Clay counts $9M against the cap this year, already included in our cap space calculation.  (Salaries are paid by game, but the cap calculation uses the whole season).

For this reason, our cap space was the same before and after cutting Benjamin, as his salary was already guaranteed but we owe him no bonuses that accelerate.

Cutting Clay would cost $4.5M additional, his amortized bonus and renegotiation bonus for next year as his salary is not guaranteed for next year.

There is no real reason they couldn't have cut them both if they wanted to.