Rebuilding your offense from the inside out

WideNine

Basically there are some options in free agency and that is where the line should be built.

At center there are three starters: Paradis, Mitch Morse and Nick Easton. 

Centers:

Paradis is has been talked about a lot on here and is a very good player. I do not think he leaves Denver. If he does, I see his most likely landing spot to the Jets. 

Morse is the guy I really like. He's started a lot of games for Kansas City and he's been hurt a bit this year. His replacements were okay, so maybe KC feels like they can let him walk. But he is an excellent player and has that KC connection. 

The other guy is Easton, a Harvard alum who can play center and guard. He's been out all year from neck surgery (herniated disc). He could come cheaper and his injury isn't the career threatening type. 

At guard you you have a few choices like Quinton Spain, Mark Glowinski, AJ Cann amongst others. Any of them would be massive upgrades at the guard spot. 

At right tackle I am eyeing two guys. 

Daryl Williams has the Carolina connection and has missed he entire season with a knee injury. He is massive and has graded out very well early in his career. Massive upgrade. 

The other guy guy who is a bit under the radar is Josh Wells of Jacksonville. He has played a lot of left and right tackle over the past couple of years because of the various injuries in Jacksonville. He's been injured himself this year as well. But the guy has a lot of game experience and I think deserves a shot to start at right tackle somewhere. 

In a perfect world you get a center, guard and tackle in free agency and that allows you to truly go BPA in ten draft regardless of need and position. With our cap space it is certainly doable. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Glad your not in charge of anything!  You let  second year #2 pick go who was never expected to be a #1 WR go because he can't preform as the #1 guy (since they don't have anyone else) and a backup TE who's looked decent.  While I don't agree I can at least understand the  desire to prematurely release Jones, but really can't figure out what Croom has done wrong.  

So tell me who are the two TE's you plan to sign that will be an immediate marked improvement from Clay and Croom?   And how will their salaries compare?

You can't figure out what Croom has done wrong? For a team with horrid offensive talent Croom has done absolutely nothing to stand out. He is the worst blocking TE in the NFL, runs horrid routes, his hand are below average and I think he has ball security issues. TE's that convert from WR to TE rarely work out, if we relese him right now he has a small chance of being on another teams PS. Look up his numbers on this season and prepare to be blown away.

8 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You can't figure out what Croom has done wrong? For a team with horrid offensive talent Croom has done absolutely nothing to stand out. He is the worst blocking TE in the NFL, runs horrid routes, his hand are below average and I think he has ball security issues. TE's that convert from WR to TE rarely work out, if we relese him right now he has a small chance of being on another teams PS. Look up his numbers on this season and prepare to be blown away.

I looked up his numbers, compared to all ROOKIE TE's he'd be ranked 7th in receptions and 8th in yards out of 15 rookie TE's  Considering how weak the Bill's WR are makes those numbers even a bit more impressive.  And BTW there's only 8 2nd year TE's with better numbers and he'd rank 5th compared to 3rd year players.  Compared to all TE's this season would rank him 44th

As far as him not being picked up by another team , Nick Oleary's  three year totals with Buffalo are a little worse even than Croom's and he was not a good blocker either.  But in spite of that not only was he picked up to someone's PS, he was signed active by Miami.  So really doubt he wouldn't be signed by another team.

Sorry he's not Gronk in his prime, so apparently based on your evaluation, anything less he needs to be cut.

So you never did answer what two TE's would you replace him with that have better numbers?   Based on the numbers, the only way you'd even come close to coming out ahead would be to sign the #1 TE off two teams and once you sign that first guy why would another #1 TE want to come here to be the #2 guy?  And OBW there's only about 5 free agent TE's out there that are even worth talking about, and two of them were on IR this year.

Maybe the person who needs to look up his numbers is you

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, mjt328 said:

Great O-Lines don't last long, mostly because teams don't prioritize drafting that position high or keeping those players in free agency.

There is a lot of pressure to draft/keep the STAR running backs and receivers, when it's usually much smarter to spend that money on the O-Line.

You watch what happens if Beane/McDermott focus on repairing the O-Line first this offseason, and don't go after a #1 receiver.  Fans are going to pitch a fit.

You really think so?

On 12/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, pop gun said:

What's funny as I see draft Oline, TE, WR or get Oline FA, Cook TE Oakland, FA WR. There is too many holes to fill in one off season to get Allen the proper help he needs.

This team needs 5-8 new and better starting offensive personnel. No way they get that many starting people. So then were looking at 2019 as a 7-9 8-8, another no playoff waste year, defense is a year older and maybe 2020 is a target year. Lets say 8-8 9-7 and squeak in or not so realistically were looking at 2021 when enough pieces are collected to actually be a good team and make a playoff run. By then defensive guys are leaving and the defense now has holes and isn't overly good, it's slightly below average so 2022 is the new target to be good and the cycle goes on and on because McClown was given too much slack, tore it all down without having to do so and didn't have a clue how to rebuild it and isn't a very good coach on top of that. Yay, can't wait for 2023 and a new coach!

wow....well really....merry christmas anyway.....

Center should be this team's top priority in the draft after BPA in round 1.  

If I had my way all 5 of the current starters would be backups to an entire new starting 5......that wont and obviously cant happen; that's just how terrible I think this group is.  

I like Teller tho.  

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Only problem I see with this is “the best blocking/receiving TE”. This cat is almost non-existent. You’re either one or the other. The ‘best’ at both translates to a jag. Clay would be this. With TE’s, you pick your poison while telling the defense what your intent is..

We MAY have answered our WR dilemma -at least we’re much better than the start of the season, so I agree it’s not essential we spend big buck$ there. We could really use a strong pass rusher which should be available with our 1st Pick. So yes, spend the big FA dollar$ on OL!! 

Iowa TE Hockenson is a dual threat. I can see him as a late first rounder when its all said and done.