Thanksgiving and the SJW

Chef Jim

You all have probably seen this. SJW demanding retailers close on Thanksgiving to give their employees the day off with their families. Well if you don’t want to work holidays don’t go work in retail, hospitals or hospitality. And I imagine many of these workers are saying “STFU!!  I’m getting triple time today!”  

I have a friend who works at a hospital. When I mentioned this she said “Yup. Double time and a half!”   Interesting that the SJW’s don’t demand hospitals or hotels close on Thanksgiving. Why does retail get all the “love”?  Oh that’s right. Retail is full of “poor” people and people of color who are too stupid to think for themselves. 

It comes back to the question, "Should so many of our people be THAT desperate for a few extra dollars?" 

A popular position would be that if so many people ARE that desperate, then there is a serious problem with our society. 

I'm pretty sure white males everywhere are VERY scared of what mommy has cooking for them regarding the future of our country...

35883406_1717797744977569_61142116074562

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

For some reason I don't think you are joking.

No, not joking. I'm old enough to remember a time when stores being closed on Sunday was the norm, holidays were not even a question. And while I am sure Chef Jim is correct, many appreciate the chance to earn extra money, I would be willing to bet as many would prefer to be home with their families, but don't get to make that choice.

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It's good business to be open Thanksgiving

And if nobody was open on Thanksgiving, you could do the same business on Friday morning.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I have a friend who works at a hospital. When I mentioned this she said “Yup. Double time and a half!”   Interesting that the SJW’s don’t demand hospitals or hotels close on Thanksgiving. Why does retail get all the “love”?  Oh that’s right. Retail is full of “poor” people and people of color who are too stupid to think for themselves. 

Jim, you really can't see the difference between Wal-Mart/Target etc and the emergency room of a hospital? I will assume you framed this as an SJW issue, to make some other point. But it doesn't really have anything to do with social justice. Its just decency.

Edited by Buftex

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

No, not joking. I'm old enough to remember a time when stores being closed on Sunday was the norm, holidays were not even a question. And while I am sure Chef Jim is correct, many appreciate the chance to earn extra money, I would be willing to bet as many would prefer to be home with their families, but don't get to make that choice.

And if nobody was open on Thanksgiving, you could do the same business on Friday morning.

The party of 57 states and 364 days in a year has spoken.

14 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I assume everything is closed on Christmas, hence 363 days. Christmas and Thanksgiving, in retail, were always off-limits. I assume Christmas still is. 

What holidays off do we give the Jews and Muslims if we include Christmas? How about the Buddhists and Hindu? You open up a can of worms if the state decides what religions get to have a day off. Better to let the individual retailer decide.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Foxx chimes in from mount privilege.

I'll chime in from the top of that mount, too.  Because you know how I summitted that mount of privilege?  By working my ass off to get out of minimum-wage service jobs.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It's good business to be open Thanksgiving

I'd argue it is terrible business. Thanksgiving day used to be the #1 shopping day on the internet (by a lot), and then the hype was up for BF the next day.  Now? Not -so-much. And that has changed very quicky. So what has happened to make that change, hmmmm? 

I agree with the SJWs on this one. Close the damn stores on Thanksgiving day.  There are plenty of other days to shop (I'd argue Independence Day and Thanksgiving Day should be "all closed" over even Christmas).

As far as hospitals, emergency workers (including utlities, police, etc) I have members of my immediate family in those industries. The utilites are usually guys knocking one another out to get the double time plus holiday pay, and in the hospitals, it is a rotation. So you have off for A and C but not A, B, and C (unless you volunteer to work A, B, and C). For police, they know well in advance and can put in for days off (this I am certain varies by department - I only know what-is-what for a few cities based on the people who are police officers in my family).

I think it’s perfectly acceptable to say that it’s ridiculous that people want to be in line on thanksgiving to save $20 on crap they don’t need (I’ve never seen a Black Friday deal on food or shelter) but at the same time be fine with businesses doing what they do to earn extra profit (if not very tasteless). Their employees are there to help to that end, and if they don’t want to work thanksgiving then they should find a job that doesn’t require it.

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'll chime in from the top of that mount, too.  Because you know how I summitted that mount of privilege?  By working my ass off to get out of minimum-wage service jobs.

There there baby, I know you work harder than anyone else...everyone else had the same opportunities as you, but they just chose to be lazy sacks of *****...

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What holidays off do we give the Jews and Muslims if we include Christmas? How about the Buddhists and Hindu? You open up a can of worms if the state decides what religions get to have a day off. Better to let the individual retailer decide.

Umm...am I missing something? Do Target, Wal-Mart, etc open up on Christmas day now too? Whatever straw-man argument you are making, just for the sake of argument isn't really working. The "state" doesn't make these decisions, by the way...retailers make the call. 

23 minutes ago, Buftex said:

There there baby, I know you work harder than anyone else...everyone else had the same opportunities as you, but they just chose to be lazy sacks of *****...

They did.  The people I worked had the same opportunities I did, and they made choices.  Some of them are still stuck in minimum-wage jobs, or in jail, or homeless, or dead.  Others are successful engineers, opera singers, business owners, doctors...

Guess which ones made better choices?

19 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Umm...am I missing something? Do Target, Wal-Mart, etc open up on Christmas day now too? Whatever straw-man argument you are making, just for the sake of argument isn't really working. The "state" doesn't make these decisions, by the way...retailers make the call. 

Yes, they are open but usually reduced hours. Retailers make the call, as it should be. Who in your mind decides who makes keeping them open "off limits" if not the state?