Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

Now that Bell cannot play this year and it is a Phaedra Comm Plea that he won't play for Pitt, can teams try to sign him now for next year?  There has to be a loophole in there somewhere.  One of the owners could sign him to a $18 M contract to do promotional appearances which voids if he move away from that city before mid-September 2019.

Something weird like this could happen.  I say Redskins; and Snyder hires him as a Washington lobbyist for the team.

Agent's Take: What's Next for Le'Veon Bell and the Steelers, Including Seven Potential Suitors for the RB

The Le'Veon Bell saga has finally come to a close for the time being. As a franchise player with an unsigned tender, Bell had until 4 p.m. ET on the Tuesday after Week 10's games to reach an agreement with the Steelers. Bell missed this deadline when he didn't sign an NFL player contract Tuesday, so under NFL rules, he won't play football again until the 2019 season.

Bell kept practically everyone in the dark, including his Steelers teammates, about his plans for the season. He alluded to this outcome before the Steelers met the Jaguars in last season's AFC divisional playoffs. Bell indicated he would consider sitting out the season or retiring if given a second franchise tag.

It was widely assumed Bell would take the same approach with his $14.544 million franchise tag as last year after an agreement was unable to be reached prior to the mid-July deadline for franchise players to sign long-term deals. The three-time All-Pro didn't sign his franchise tender until Labor Day in 2017.

i've heard several podcasts of football minds saying they honestly don't know the loopholes of the CBA for the NFL, it's far more complex than the NBA, and nobody seems to have definitive answers as guests.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

good point, hopefully no one gives him what he wants, these players are getting out of control with their demands. This is a team sport and it's hard to have a good team if a few guys are hogging all the money.

their really needs to be a position cap so you are not spending 30 million a year on a QB.

These players get screwed over more than any other league financially and hazard their bodies more than any other league.

And bring in more money than any other league. I don't understand why we want them to keep getting walked all over. NBA's doing just fine with players running the league. They're happy. And don't tell me it's not a team sport lol. Tennis is not a team sport. Any sport with "teammates" is just as much a team sport as football.

The union sucks who TF agrees to a franchise tag?

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

21 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

These players get screwed over more than any other league financially and hazard their bodies more than any other league.

And bring in more money than any other league. I don't understand why we want them to keep getting walked all over. NBA's doing just fine with players running the league. They're happy. And don't tell me it's not a team sport lol. Tennis is not a team sport. Any sport with "teammates" is just as much a team sport as football.

the NBA has to declare an "amnesty" on contracts every few years because of the stupidity of the owners.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the NBA has to declare an "amnesty" on contracts every few years because of the stupidity of the owners.

That sucks for the player. Owners are probably ill advised to do it because players wouldn't want to go there. I think only 9 owners have used it? Like the Knicks should definitely amnesty Joakim Noah but are probably aware they're better off waiting him out and landing dat marquee FA for Madison Square Garden for Porzingod

25 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

That sucks for the player. Owners are probably ill advised to do it because players wouldn't want to go there. I think only 9 owners have used it? Like the Knicks should definitely amnesty Joakim Noah but are probably aware they're better off waiting him out and landing dat marquee FA for Madison Square Garden for Porzingod

not really, the players have gotten away with "murder on a scale of crime to humanity" with their contracts (so to speak) financially

On 11/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rex would know the feeling.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:46 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

the NFL is not free market capitalism. There is a cap and if you overlay a few guys the rest of your players are not going to be good enough to do any real winning. There is a reason Brady doesn't maximize his earnings , he wants to win and knows that money is needed elsewhere.

I call BS on this. The reason is he has a hot wife who earns around $40 mill a year( his family is more than fine). Plus a qb is wrapped in bubble wrap these days, so he knew he would play multiple years making great money. Not the same for RB who is top 5 in touches. RB's get beat to hell and QB's are coddled. Hit one and see what happens.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:20 AM, The Process said:

I'm not going to work Monday. I don't care that I accepted my salary a year ago. I want more. If I stay out till Thursday with no doctor's note I'll be fired. These spoiled rotten brats piss me off! 

Antonio Brown is making more than Bell, yet Bell touches the ball 3x more than Brown does. Against the defenses front 4, no less. Wr's can't be touched for fear of a fla, but RB's get pummeled. Yea, he's spoiled. 

On 11/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, ndirish1978 said:

He must have messed up thousands of people's fantasy football teams. As someone who no longer plays fantasy football, I find this hilarious.

In our league David Johnson went 1st overall.I took Kamira 2nd overall and Bell went  3rd. I was ridiculed for not taking him. I see how much he has touched the ball over the last few years and steered clear. 

Yes, Odds are Available for Le’Veon Bell’s Next Contract

According to Bovada.lv, the money line for a contract over four years is -165 (bet $165 to win $100), and for a contract under four years is +125 (bet $100 to win $125).

Take the under (but bet responsibly). Le’Veon Bell will have the leverage to demand a contract that lasts only as long as the full guarantee, similar to the three-year contract signed by quarterback Kirk Cousins in March.

The over/under for the contract has been pegged at $64.5 million. Again, take the under; Bell should be able to negotiate a three-year, fully-guaranteed deal in the range of $54 million to $60 million.

With the Jets expected to be interested in Bell, and given that the Jets were willing to give Cousins a three-year, fully-guaranteed deal, a three-year fully-guaranteed deal for Bell could be coming.

16 hours ago, Dopey said:

Antonio Brown is making more than Bell, yet Bell touches the ball 3x more than Brown does. Against the defenses front 4, no less. Wr's can't be touched for fear of a fla, but RB's get pummeled. Yea, he's spoiled. 

In our league David Johnson went 1st overall.I took Kamira 2nd overall and Bell went  3rd. I was ridiculed for not taking him. I see how much he has touched the ball over the last few years and steered clear. 

That's dopey logic......

Don't Judge Le'Veon Yet: How Bell Could Change Old NFL Thinking

Dan Graziano, ESPN Staff Writer

Think what you will about Le'Veon Bell's decision to sit out the season in pursuit of free-agent riches, but the key word there is "think."

It's tempting right now to retreat to your corner and settle into some insta-conclusion supported by decades of old, established NFL thinking: Bell's crazy. He overplayed his hand. He'll never get what he's looking for. He quit on his team. The Steelers are doing just fine without him. It's silly to pay running backs.

The facts are that this thing isn't over yet, that we can't see the future, and that no final conclusions about Bell's gambit can be made until March, when we find out what kind of free-agent contract he ends up getting. If he gets a Todd Gurley-style megadeal, then this was all worth it. But if he has to take a one-year, "prove-it" deal because not enough teams are interested, then this was a huge mistake. We don't and can't know the outcome yet.

On November 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The players loved the franchise tag when it came out.

Bell is getting "walked all over".....by getting large offers (reportedly of 70 million/5 years, 45 million/3 years) and turning them down?  Because he wants to be "made happy and satisfied"?  

Here is a multiply suspended, high milage RB who simply thinks he is worth as much as the highest paid RB in the league.  His current team disagrees.  In the NFL, he has to know how this works---especially for RBs.

The ones who are getting walked over are, I'd say at least 40 of the other 42 guys on the Steelers roster (most of all, the guy who has easily replaced Bell) who are playing for a much smaller fraction of the cap than Bell wants for himself, when it can persuasively argued that he's not worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bell is getting "walked all over".....by getting large offers (reportedly of 70 million/5 years, 45 million/3 years) and turning them down?  Because he wants to be "made happy and satisfied"?  

Here is a multiply suspended, high milage RB who simply thinks he is worth as much as the highest paid RB in the league.  His current team disagrees.  In the NFL, he has to know how this works---especially for RBs.

The ones who are getting walked over are, I'd say at least 40 of the other 42 guys on the Steelers roster (most of all, the guy who has easily replaced Bell) who are playing for a much smaller fraction of the cap than Bell wants for himself, when it can persuasively argued that he's not worth it.

...nicely done my friend.....why not "take what you can while you can get it"?.........remember Shaun Alexander at the top of his game landing a huge (at that time) extension, only to go down hill thereafter?.....could that have been somewhat the initial wake up call about RB mega extensions (sure others have happened)?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nicely done my friend.....why not "take what you can while you can get it"?.........remember Shaun Alexander at the top of his game landing a huge (at that time) extension, only to go down hill thereafter?.....could that have been somewhat the initial wake up call about RB mega extensions (sure others have happened)?...........

Yes.. The market sets the price for all players new contracts.  No different for Bell.   Why would anyone argue his case is special?  He is exercising all of his rights to accept deals, turn them down, sign contracts or not.

I really don't get how he is being screwed over here.

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm talking about all the NFL players. But Bell can do whatever he wants. No one's "winning". Sucks for the Steelers not having RB depth and another weapon given Connor was in concussion protocol. Sucks Bell has to sit out a year without pay. I think both sides were too petty as I see former NFL players baffled at the situation. They can't fathom resenting teammates over money, they're all in it together: co-workers.

Doesn't happen in other leagues. Imagine the top basketball or baseball players sitting out a year over a contract. They get shipped out via trade or cut.. but they can always play every year when healthy.

Bell's not playing behind this offensive line that keeps making backhanded comments towards him. Screw that haha that's a runningback's nightmare if you have any suspicion your OL aren't trying to protect you.

Look at what Jimmy Butler was able to do in the NBA. We can argue till the cows go home who is in the right.. Steelers/Timberwolves? Bell/Butler? At the end of the day one league allowed that top player to play and the other doesn't... And it didn't make any difference to the teams they both lost a player. But Butler gets to get out and Bell has to stay?? WHY did the Steelers hang on to him? Simply because they could. That's really bizarre man.

I don't think the players foresaw how the franchise tag would be used: to hold up stars from hitting a proper free agency market rather than to give middling players more money in a season than they might get in their whole careers.