Check your bank accounts, fellas. Some dyngus got my card number.

Roundybout

8 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Considering the timestamp above, I have to ask.  Do I haunt your dreams or something?

I am going on reverse schedule.  I have to start staying up @ night and sleep all day.

I post at all hours, sleep at all hours.  I am not on set schedule.  I will now be up until tomorrow night.

Don't assume... People live 24/7/365 lives.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

The other day, someone tried to use my debit card to buy 67 dollars of "Smart Mobile" phone credit. I wasn't charged, and my bank cancelled my card and sent a new one. Before I could get it, though, whomever got my number tried 14 more times to buy stuff. Rather than jewelry or real estate, they attempted to purchase:

- a nice new phone

-Lunch at Dominos

-200 dollars' worth of e-cig stuff

-two apps on the app store

-Atlanta Hawks tickets

I wasn't charged for any of this, I just was amused at the choice of stuff they tried to buy. Anyways, check your bank statements, guys. This seems to be going around. 

My credit card and debit card both got hacked within a week of each other.

One went to Domino's.  One went to Papa John's.

Here's the kicker .... both thieves were in Brooklyn.

Who the ***** goes to Brooklyn and gets Papa John's and/or Domino's?!?!?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/31/2018 at 4:28 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom had her credit card number stolen a few months ago.  The person bought a value meal at McDonalds in the Bronx before my mom realized and had her card deactivated.  Apparently, these thieves have “computers” that can read your credit/debit card numbers just by walking by you?  I never knew this...

I know a guy who thought he had his cards read twice at Kennedy Airport, just walking around.   I was going out of the country so he suggested I get small sleeves that hold your credit card that stop them from being read.   I picked mine up at the AAA when I was getting an international driving permit.  I also have one for my passport.

Years ago I had a $4000 ticket to Hong Kong charged on my AmEx card.  When I called them about the charge, they covered the entire loss but did not issue a new card, even though I asked for one.   About 3 years later I was hit with the same thing.   That time they sent me a new card. 

I don't believe in debit cards. 

I had my card skimmed (number stolen by a compromised terminal). It was my gas and grocery card, so I know it was skimmed at Aldi Maple Road.

The dude made a successful purchase at ***** on Transit Road. The card was then denied and shutdown at Walmart Batavia.

I was pretty impressed by the bank detected the fraudulent activity and shut it down so quick. I'm pissed the perp got a new pair of Nikes, which all us card holders end up paying for.

wife checks ours every other day.  She works at the bank so keeps a pretty good eye on things.  If a gas station or business looks sketchy I always use the credit card.   You can dispute those charges, but with the debit card, you have to fight to get your money back.   

On 10/31/2018 at 8:40 PM, Augie said:

Our Chase Visa got shut down at least once a year. Usually around the Holidays. Pretty inconvenient that time of year.  VERY rarely happens now with AMex, and we got a call recently about an attempted use at a gas station/convenience store near us minutes after the attempt. That COULD have been me, but it wasn’t. Charge refused, but (while I have a banking background) I have ZERO idea how they caught that. 

The CC companies have algorithms which help predict where you are likely to make purchases.  Things like gas stations people tend to go to the same few all the time.  If this was one you don't go to at all they probably noticed it and flagged it.  They can tell that when you are this particular area you tend to go to this particular gas station.  Or, conversely, if you always go to random ones with no pattern they can tell that as well and be more liberal with letting purchases go through unchecked. 

Say you make a "live" purchase in one part of town and then another live purchase is made a couple minutes later on the opposite side of town, they can tell that it would be impossible to drive that far and make two live purchases so close together time wise. 

I've done some work with some of these companies and how they protect against fraud.  It's pretty impressive actually, and the amount that they actually catch before you are even charged or know is actually quite a lot and it is pretty scary to think about..

Check your statements at least a few times a week, if not daily.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, Augie said:

No way I shut off pay at pump, it’s all I use. I don’t need the lines. It’s credit, not debit, so the rules favor ME. The bank gets stuck if it goes bad. Debit? Different story. YOU get screwed. It’s one reason I only use debit card at an ATM except under extraordinary circumstances. 

You only get screwed with Debit cards if you were negligent in giving out your information.  Otherwise, they have the same protections as credit cards do.  That is a common misconception though.  Basically, you would have to tell someone in public your card number and pin number out loud, someone hears it and steals it, then you could be held responsible.  Or leaving it in an ATM after you use it and the next person coming by and taking money out with it.  That sort of card negligence.

Edited by Mark80

35 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

The CC companies have algorithms which help predict where you are likely to make purchases.  Things like gas stations people tend to go to the same few all the time.  If this was one you don't go to at all they probably noticed it and flagged it.  They can tell that when you are this particular area you tend to go to this particular gas station.  Or, conversely, if you always go to random ones with no pattern they can tell that as well and be more liberal with letting purchases go through unchecked. 

Say you make a "live" purchase in one part of town and then another live purchase is made a couple minutes later on the opposite side of town, they can tell that it would be impossible to drive that far and make two live purchases so close together time wise. 

I've done some work with some of these companies and how they protect against fraud.  It's pretty impressive actually, and the amount that they actually catch before you are even charged or know is actually quite a lot and it is pretty scary to think about..

Check your statements at least a few times a week, if not daily.

You only get screwed with Debit cards if you were negligent in giving out your information.  Otherwise, they have the same protections as credit cards do.  That is a common misconception though.  Basically, you would have to tell someone in public your card number and pin number out loud, someone hears it and steals it, then you could be held responsible.  Or leaving it in an ATM after you use it and the next person coming by and taking money out with it.  That sort of card negligence.

I’ve got a couple decades of banking experience, but I just checked with a buddy who is the CEO of a bank. Credit is in fact better in terms of consumer protection. I post this not to call you out, but to let anyone reading be aware of the potential downside of debit cards. I try not to use mine, though he admits he uses his a lot because he hates credit so much. As he says “the immediate credit of a few hundred dollars while being investigated is the same but after that credit is much more inclined to credit back all while they look further into it or just take the charge off.”   

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve got a couple decades of banking experience, but I just checked with a buddy who is the CEO of a bank. Credit is in fact better in terms of consumer protection. I post this not to call you out, but to let anyone reading be aware of the potential downside of debit cards. I try not to use mine, though he admits he uses his a lot because he hates credit so much. As he says “the immediate credit of a few hundred dollars while being investigated is the same but after that credit is much more inclined to credit back all while they look further into it or just take the charge off.”   

I know this is a relatively new perspective on the Debit cards and just a couple years ago I would agree with you completly.  I'm not sure if my information is law yet (i'm guessing no since you have way more experience and a CEO would certainly be on top if it if it were), or the way just certain institutions handle them as a matter of policy.  But my info comes from working with one of the 3 major credit reporting services whose B2B portfolio of services is full of fraud / risk protection applications and platforms, and they say that debit cards do offer those protections now, pretty much the same as CCs.  They industry is aware of the big problem they have with fraud and they are making it as easy as possible to protect and re-imburse / rectify fraudulent activities in order to not the Fed all over them for not protecting their customers from known issues.  It may be a little more tedious for that re-imbursement since it is cash that is already gone basically, but they will, for the most part, make you whole. 

Edited by Mark80

36 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I know this is a relatively new perspective on the Debit cards and just a couple years ago I would agree with you completly.  I'm not sure if my information is law yet (i'm guessing no since you have way more experience and a CEO would certainly be on top if it if it were), or the way just certain institutions handle them as a matter of policy.  But my info comes from working with one of the 3 major credit reporting services whose B2B portfolio of services is full of fraud / risk protection applications and platforms, and they say that debit cards do offer those protections now, pretty much the same as CCs.  They industry is aware of the big problem they have with fraud and they are making it as easy as possible to protect and re-imburse / rectify fraudulent activities in order to not the Fed all over them for not protecting their customers from known issues.  It may be a little more tedious for that re-imbursement since it is cash that is already gone basically, but they will, for the most part, make you whole. 

I don’t doubt at all that that is pretty accurate. They did have at least a perception problem for a while. I’ve been out of it for some time, which is why I checked with my buddy. I’m sure the laws have changed since my time (where bank liability was limited to $50). Anyway, good info. Thanks.