In Defense of McD: are the claims McDermott is building the roster actually substantiated?

Bing Bong

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Why not?  They totally crushed it  rebuilding the defense (esp. the defensive backfield) in one year.   Track record matters.   They did it on defense while getting rid of Dareus' cap-killer contract and losing Darby and Gilmore in FA.   McBeanes works for me.  Trust the process.  Offense is next. 

Eh... Beane wasn't here for Poyer, Hyde, or White... I don't think I can point to one good decision on offense, maybe Dawkins? Again, Beane wasn't here for that. They've shown nothing to lead me to believe they know what they're doing there.

I'm not sure what they've earned to say this stupid gibberish like trust the process.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Why not?  They totally crushed it  rebuilding the defense (esp. the defensive backfield) in one year.   Track record matters.   They did it on defense while getting rid of Dareus' cap-killer contract and losing Darby and Gilmore in FA.   McBeanes works for me.  Trust the process.  Offense is next. 

Get outta here with your optimistic views.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with a lot of your posts. I think you raise some great points. 

I am not a fan of McDermott. I own that. However, I try to give him credit where I feel it is due and admit when I'm wrong. 

I don't like that he made his way in the league through the defensive side of the ball. Yet it's really unfair to hold that against him, that's on ownership. So far, he's done a great job with the defense. 

The only part I disagree with, is that he's not valued more, his opinion on personnel decisions isn't more impactful than Beane's.

I don't know who gets to reccomend who their Boss is going to be. Even by professional sports standards, off the top of my head, I can only think of Kobe and LeBron. It's an NBA thing.

I understand your view that a coach and GM need to be on the same page. But I just find the whole thing backwards. It's just ownership. They're a disaster. McDermott got Beane the job, Beane should be responsible for evaluation of McDermott's performance. Can you envision a scenario where Beane fires McDermott? Then hires the next head coach? If Allen doesn't pan out, they're both gone. It's just a mess. How does Beane look sitting in the box next to Terry, and start whispering in his ear, Terry, McDermott has to go on a sunday.

You hire a GM, you let him hire the coach because you trust them, and then that individual is responsible for the coach's performance. 

What you don't do is hire a coach and place them above the GM twice in 3 years. They did that with Rex, and they did it with McDermott. They've always undercut GMs and made them look powerless as owners of the Bills. 

Cause we've both been outspoken against the hand grenade thrown at our roster called the process super early on lol. This is my concession speech for process lovers and haters.. now that people are jumping (or coming out of the woodwork) on the negative side.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we turned towards a win now mentality regime entirely.. but If we want a change and maintain some consistency, maybe fire the dude that's put this team on a firesale and not the dude that got us to the playoffs on Whaley scraps.

I wanted McDermott fired after the Chargers game last year, and with Peterman still on the roster he hasn't helped that cause.. but at least he's the one guy that's shown some sort of competence since we've decided to "rebuild" (code word: tank and pray on not screwing up literally starting from scratch)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'll give you Peterman, i'll give you that lol smh.. but to summarize, McDermott needs a Wade Phillips of the offense and a GM committed to building around his strengths and supporting his weaknesses.. and McDermott is chained to what he's been given. Mike Tomlin certainly enjoys having an outstanding offense right now.. and he has a phenomenal GM orchestrating that.

What OC is going to link up with a HC who is on his third OC in three years? Let's face it, soon McD will be out the door. Daboll isn't the guy to develop Allen and we won't have that guy until McD is gone. He had two chances and he squandered both of them. Allen will continue to struggle until Terrible Terry fires everybody.

9 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I am starting to find the criticisms of McDermott unfair. Probably not the best source but I see on the board a lot that McDermott is building this roster. 

Then what the hell is Beane doing or getting paid for? Who on Earth let's a former DC rookie HC do that? I just don't believe it (or want to). 

A coaches job is first and foremost to MOTIVATE. Was that not clearly the case last year? Tre White was dancing in between plays, Hyde running over after every great PBU to out of sheer pride for his unit. That's a confident team, a factor that makes middling teams push to the playoffs, Pete Carroll's young Seahawks to win it all.

Secondly he knows his craft, he helps find and employ a terrific defense. We hired a DC to be a HC. This is his job. 

So who's job is it to build the roster, select Coordinators, and support his head coach in his weaknesses? Look at the Rams, McVay doesn't have anything to do with the defense.. because the GM is aware he's an offensive mind, hired the best DC available and loaded McVay's shortcomings on the other side of the ball.

So why are we griping at having a defensive minded coach? He's not building a defense only team, he's part of the puzzle Beane is tasked with to create a complete team on both sides of the ball. Of course many DC's make great HC.. Look at Minnesota, look at Belicheck, look at Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin. Of course these guys have great offenses because MAYBE they have great GMs that are charged with personnell.

McBeane shouldn't be some multipersonality one person (unless it's Belicheck) of course they have a large input on the team but these guys don't need to be (and shouldn't be) glued at the hip. Our offensive shortcomings are the GM who is mortgaging the offense for next year anyway (whether I like it or not), saddled McD with a questionable OC's career resume and has generally done nothing to support a baby HC tasked with offensive responsibility for once.

I'll give you Peterman, i'll give you that lol smh.. but to summarize, McDermott needs a Wade Phillips of the offense and a GM committed to building around his strengths and supporting his weaknesses.. and McDermott is chained to what he's been given. Mike Tomlin certainly enjoys having an outstanding offense right now.. and he has a phenomenal GM orchestrating that.

If we're writing the book on anyone thus far it's Beane, and as he's really had about 2 years he may deserve some time, but he hasn't done HIS job. Personally I'd like to see McD unchained.. but we're saddled with Beane and let's see where that takes us. But I don't take this regime as one group.. we have a great HC and a GM committed to tanking. Whaley went through his HCs I wouldn't mind McD have a shot with a new GM if this regime doesn't pan out.

The Pegula's....McDermott was hired before the GM and probably approved  Beanes hiring

10 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I am starting to find the criticisms of McDermott unfair. Probably not the best source but I see on the board a lot that McDermott is building this roster. 

Then what the hell is Beane doing or getting paid for? Who on Earth let's a former DC rookie HC do that? I just don't believe it (or want to). 

A coaches job is first and foremost to MOTIVATE. Was that not clearly the case last year? Tre White was dancing in between plays, Hyde running over after every great PBU to out of sheer pride for his unit. That's a confident team, a factor that makes middling teams push to the playoffs, Pete Carroll's young Seahawks to win it all.

Secondly he knows his craft, he helps find and employ a terrific defense. We hired a DC to be a HC. This is his job. 

So who's job is it to build the roster, select Coordinators, and support his head coach in his weaknesses? Look at the Rams, McVay doesn't have anything to do with the defense.. because the GM is aware he's an offensive mind, hired the best DC available and loaded McVay's shortcomings on the other side of the ball.

So why are we griping at having a defensive minded coach? He's not building a defense only team, he's part of the puzzle Beane is tasked with to create a complete team on both sides of the ball. Of course many DC's make great HC.. Look at Minnesota, look at Belicheck, look at Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin. Of course these guys have great offenses because MAYBE they have great GMs that are charged with personnell.

McBeane shouldn't be some multipersonality one person (unless it's Belicheck) of course they have a large input on the team but these guys don't need to be (and shouldn't be) glued at the hip. Our offensive shortcomings are the GM who is mortgaging the offense for next year anyway (whether I like it or not), saddled McD with a questionable OC's career resume and has generally done nothing to support a baby HC tasked with offensive responsibility for once.

If we're writing the book on anyone thus far it's Beane, and as he's really had about 2 years he may deserve some time, but he hasn't done HIS job. Personally I'd like to see McD unchained.. but we're saddled with Beane and let's see where that takes us. But I don't take this regime as one group.. we have a great HC and a GM committed to tanking. Whaley went through his HCs I wouldn't mind McD have a shot with a new GM if this regime doesn't pan out.

According to Bills ownership, both Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane report directly to the Pegulas.

So technically, neither can be considered the others "boss" or on a higher level in the organization.  They are equals.

With that said, McDermott was the one specifically targeted and hired first by the Pegulas.  They later went after Beane and took him from Carolina, based on McDermott's recommendation (not the other way around).  McDermott also pretty much got to control the roster moves during 2017 offseason by himself - or at least with a lame-duck GM behind the scenes.  So it's easy to see why public perception has McDermott as the more powerful of the two.

In response to the rest of your post... there still seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding about what the Bills are trying to accomplish.

Some think Beane/McDermott are trying to build a defense-heavy team with a conservative offense.  They are not.  They just focused on rebuilding the defense first, and the offense will follow in 2019.  Some think Beane/McDermott are scrambling in a frustrated panic, wondering why they are 2-6 with a bad offense.  They are not.  They are perfectly aware how most of their resources were dedicated over the last two years, and knew how this season was going to turn out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, nucci said:

The Pegula's....McDermott was hired before the GM and probably approved  Beanes hiring

Yeah they were too undecisive with Whaley, wanted him out but had no football knowledge of who to go for. Likely got McDermott on Whaley's recommendation, then Beane on McDermott's.. so stupid haha. 

Regardless Beane should be hired to be McDermott's boss, if they didn't get that right after the screw ups that lead to all that.. then God help us with these owners lol.

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

According to Bills ownership, both Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane report directly to the Pegulas.

So technically, neither can be considered the others "boss" or on a higher level in the organization.  They are equals.

With that said, McDermott was the one specifically targeted and hired first by the Pegulas.  They later went after Beane and took him from Carolina, based on McDermott's recommendation (not the other way around).  McDermott also pretty much got to control the roster moves during 2017 offseason by himself - or at least with a lame-duck GM behind the scenes.  So it's easy to see why public perception has McDermott as the more powerful of the two.

In response to the rest of your post... there still seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding about what the Bills are trying to accomplish.

Some think Beane/McDermott are trying to build a defense-heavy team with a conservative offense.  They are not.  They just focused on rebuilding the defense first, and the offense will follow in 2019.  Some think Beane/McDermott are scrambling in a frustrated panic, wondering why they are 2-6 with a bad offense.  They are not.  They are perfectly aware how most of their resources were dedicated over the last two years, and knew how this season was going to turn out.

Yeah.. they sort of have our hand forced now by this point.. which is annoying. It's easy to tear down a roster (a rebuild of this magnitude is pretty rare.. like this isn't NFL normal). We can't change regimes because they did the easy part with a specific plan to finish out the hard part.. so we're stuck to "trust" (the process). We can't get rid of them. If this whole thing pans out, fantastic.. but it's pretty damn hard for even the best GMs. If it doesn't, then we are incredibly screwed. 

It's so damn risky. Just all felt reckless. Since they have monumental task in front of them now and are both in their first job. It's not like we hired the rebuild masters with a proven resume of creating a dynasty. That's what you get Bill Polian for if you're committing to a rebuild.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We are seeing McDermott "unchained".

Hence the reason Peterman started the season and still remains on the roster. 

Lol fair enough.. I keep saying "BESIDES PETERMAN... McDermott's doing XYZ" but it's such a black mark, and obvious McDermott choice.

Like I knew Peterman was the clear fallacy to my post

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That isn't much of a post. Ridiculous from the first minute. The first job is to motivate? Good grief, hire a cheerleader if that was the case. Players are pros, they're motivated. It's a part of the job but nowhere close to most important.

Beane isn't doing his job? Jeez. The most any Beane draftee has had is eight games of experience. And you want to judge him? Bizarre. Again, Beane has only had one draft. He's the one in charge of personnel acquisition, though he undoubtedly asks advice from McD.

As for Beane not working out, we should know by around 2022. Thinking you can judge by the personnel on the roster in the second year of a rebuild is pretty sad stuff.

You're post is just ridiculous from the get go. Players are motivated because they're pros? Good grief, hire Gregg Schiano if that is the case; look at how Randy Moss was ultra motivated in his Raiders years when nobody of the team gave a flying ****. 

Beane can't be judged? Jeez he's only made more horrible trades from day in his short tenure than most GMs do in their span with a team. Again, Beane has only had a little over a year and he's already made a plethora of moves like when he gave up a 3rd for Kelvin and drafted Phillip Gaines for his first confirmed bust with a chance for more, other than trading up for both his first round picks (which should be 100% hits in a tradeup)

As for knowing by 2022, thinking you can judge the opportunity cost vs reward over a 5 year period from first time GMs and coaches is pretty sad stuff.

Ludicrous that you just reversed a subjective opinion post to your own subjective opinions and regard your strategy as gospel while dismissing any other opinion on regime strategy.

Let's revisit in 2022.. until then give me any precedent for a team that's been in our situation in the last 10 years that really crushed it.

//pats self on back "touche PT5P you reworded his completely subjective opinions against him" "yeah I agree PT5P"

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah.. they sort of have our hand forced now by this point.. which is annoying. It's easy to tear down a roster (a rebuild of this magnitude is pretty rare.. like this isn't NFL normal). We can't change regimes because they did the easy part with a specific plan to finish out the hard part.. so we're stuck to "trust" (the process). We can't get rid of them. If this whole thing pans out, fantastic.. but it's pretty damn hard for even the best GMs. If it doesn't, then we are incredibly screwed. 

It's so damn risky. Just all felt reckless. Since they have monumental task in front of them now and are both in their first job. It's not like we hired the rebuild masters with a proven resume of creating a dynasty. That's what you get Bill Polian for if you're committing to a rebuild.

I really don't see why fans consider this "reckless" or "risky."

When Beane/McDermott started their tenure, this franchise hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years. 

Every General Manager and Head Coach that has walked into these doors KNEW the only answer to fixing the Buffalo Bills was getting a franchise quarterback.  Very few were willing to make the moves necessary to get one.  You just can't sit back and wait for someone to fall into your lap.

Marv Levy passed on QBs and never picked one before the 3rd Round.  Buddy Nix sat on his hands for three years before he was willing to draft one.  Doug Whaley took over and complained about being in "QB purgatory."  For all the crap Tom Donahoe gets from the fans - at least he tried to land us a quarterback.  He traded a 1st Round Pick for Drew Bledsoe.  A few years later, he traded into the 1st Round to get JP Losman.  At the same time, he DIDN'T pull the trigger to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger... and I'm sure it's something he will regret that move forever.

In just two offseasons, Beane/McDermott have built the defense back to where it was before Rex Ryan destroyed it.  They cleared out the bad contracts.  And most importantly, they drafted one of the top QB prospects available in the draft.  Because of limited resources, they have barely touched the offense... SO FAR.  But it's crystal clear that offense will be the primary focus in 2019.  It's maddening that fans can't see past 2018 and how we are playing on offense right now.  If Allen develops into a solid starter and they continue to draft well, by 2020 the Bills will be better than when Beane/McDermott originally took over.  Isn't that what we all want to see happen?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

When Beane/McDermott started their tenure, this franchise hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years. 

Every General Manager and Head Coach that has walked into these doors KNEW the only answer to fixing the Buffalo Bills was getting a franchise quarterback.  Very few were willing to make the moves necessary to get one.  You just can't sit back and wait for someone to fall into your lap.

Marv Levy passed on QBs and never picked one before the 3rd Round.  Buddy Nix sat on his hands for three years before he was willing to draft one.  Doug Whaley took over and complained about being in "QB purgatory."  For all the crap Tom Donahoe gets from the fans - at least he tried to land us a quarterback.  He traded a 1st Round Pick for Drew Bledsoe.  A few years later, he traded into the 1st Round to get JP Losman.  At the same time, he DIDN'T pull the trigger to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger... and I'm sure it's something he will regret that move forever.

In just two offseasons, Beane/McDermott have built the defense back to where it was before Rex Ryan destroyed it.  They cleared out the bad contracts.  And most importantly, they drafted one of the top QB prospects available in the draft.  Because of limited resources, they have barely touched the offense... SO FAR.  But it's crystal clear that offense will be the primary focus in 2019.  It's maddening that fans can't see past 2018 and how we are playing on offense right now.  If Allen develops into a solid starter and they continue to draft well, by 2020 the Bills will be better than when Beane/McDermott originally took over.  Isn't that what we all want to see happen?

They just gambled on a tear down rather than a compromise by hedging bets (dump some, keep others). I personally hated the Charles Clay contract and thought that was something that should go if we're so worried about cap. Don't know the dead cap but if dropping Clay to keep Woods was remotely an option, then I'd do that in a hot minute. that's my percieved risk. I totally agree with getting a QB btw, but what does that have to do with blowing up the roster

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

He tried..Pittsburgh said no and drafted Roethlisberger

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Who was responsible for trading McCarron and entering the season with Nasty Nate starting and JA as the only backup with a horrible o line?  That person or persons are doing a really bad job.

I was hoping for a laugh emoji on my post full of team trajectory charts reddog.. a lot of them (didn't work out, too much math nerd analogy in a football forum), not likes.. change it bud! 

11 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So who's job is it to build the roster, select Coordinators, and support his head coach in his weaknesses? Look at the Rams, McVay doesn't have anything to do with the defense..

Yeah, is that a fact? Anything

I think it's kind of foolish to assume that great coaches don't manage all phases of their team. 

Wade is a tremendous defensive coach, but I don't think he runs the show. 

If Mcdermott took that kind of attitude with the offense, it would be a major red flag. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Maybe not a fact. But just watch him on the ipad with Jared Goff during every defensive possession. The broadcast announcers comment on that quite regularly. that's all I'm coming from, he's for the most part thinking about the next offensive possession and making adjustments to it during every defensive possession. 

13 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yeah, is that a fact? Anything

I think it's kind of foolish to assume that great coaches don't manage all phases of their team. 

Wade is a tremendous defensive coach, but I don't think he runs the show. 

If Mcdermott took that kind of attitude with the offense, it would be a major red flag. 

^ meant to loop you here

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Helped how? He looked the worst of the 3 QBs in the preseason by a lot.

These are the kind of decisions you reach when you base it all on 3 meaningless pre season games and disregArd past performance. Like 2TDs and 6 picks vs 6Tds and 2 picks. Or one guy in  playoff game threw a pick 6 and had a penalty on him vs the guy thAt brought his team from 2 TDs down late only to be blown by the D getting 30 yard in penalties setting up opponents for game winning FG.

Besides in PS the team scored the most points and AJ was in. 

We have not seen then last of AJ. I suspect he will pLAy better than Nasty Nate has this year.  

17 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Maybe not a fact. But just watch him on the ipad with Jared Goff during every defensive possession. The broadcast announcers comment on that quite regularly. that's all I'm coming from, he's for the most part thinking about the next offensive possession and making adjustments to it during every defensive possession. 

^ meant to loop you here

I hear you. During the game, he may not be involved as much as he is in the offense, but I'd bet he is a big part of their defensive gameplan during the week. 

I just don't see how any coach can effectively ignore one side of the ball. It's like those old Buddy Ryan tales of how he hated offense and got bored whenever they had to practice. No matter, it's not like they gave up 104 sacks in a season. 

They've said it before, Beane has the final call on personnel decisions, just like any GM in football.

And yesterday, McDermott was asked about the trade deadline and he said, "Brandon handles those calls" or something to that effect. I'm sure McDermott is in the loop on personnel stuff but Beane is charge of all that.

Both guys have said they report to the Pegulas directly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can't please everyone lmao. I criticize Beane, defend McDermott, I get "FAX" that Beane is McDermott's puppet. 

Criticize McDermott and not Beane I get the likely "FAX" that our GM is being a GM

I admit we're stuck with Beane's vision given he tore the house down, he's the only one to repair it, I get "FAX" that his purposeful tank is indicative that he sucks.

I recommend we rid Beane, and I get the likely "FAX" that he's clearly tanking (loser)

I SOLD MY SOUL FOR DEFENDING THE DAMN COACH THAT STARTED PETERMAN THAT BEGAN MY DOWNWARD SPIRAL OF RAGE. GIVE ME THE UPVOTES WHEN I PANDER TO YOU. Hot takes from now on. Only. Hot. Takes.

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I hear you. During the game, he may not be involved as much as he is in the offense, but I'd bet he is a big part of their defensive gameplan during the week. 

I just don't see how any coach can effectively ignore one side of the ball. It's like those old Buddy Ryan tales of how he hated offense and got bored whenever they had to practice. No matter, it's not like they gave up 104 sacks in a season. 

I don't think he does.. maybe I worded it poorly but my broader point was that he's given the best coordinator possible (something quite necessary for a young OC prodigy turned HC as he discusses and learns from an all time great)

McDermott is given Daboll (another Beane move that makes McDermott look horrible as a young DC prodigy turned HC as he discusses how easy Daboll had it at Alabama. I'm sure McDermott is really learning the X's and O's).. "ya see Sean.. here's some tape on when I ran my best offense, ranked #18.. not to toot my own horn! Watch and learn. Now here's some tape on Alabama. Notice how the Offensive line pancakes the entire Kentucky Defensive line as they charge forward.. and this is key.. the pancake the LBs. Once there you have 7 defenders on the field pancaked and 10 blockers on the remaining 4. That's the kind of offense I can impart to you. Now we just need to get our hands on 5 Joe Thomas's and you can run this genuis offense. It's all in my resume.. just sit back and relax Sean"

//McDermott slowly realizing his GM tanking is not very good for his career.

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The only part I disagree with, is that he's not valued more, his opinion on personnel decisions isn't more impactful than Beane's.

Oh Ol Dirty B I'm saying the exact opposite! I'm challenging people to substantiate the claims that he's the one responsible for this **** roster. Beane is, and Beane sucks.

Regardless in my last reply to your post here and openly admitted to pandering to be a bit more likeable to all factions. But it's Beane or bust.. until 2022. Until then, I'll sure be eating my words in 5 years you just wait!

But I can't even pander enough to compromise some of my opinions to be open to finding positives in this regime while still giving my concerns (that they're forcing us into a 5 year commitment after doing the easy part of a roster tear down and telling us to "trust" them to build it back up their way).. like tearing down a roster is indicative the master plan is working because we know they can build a contender. We just know! and trust lol.