The Term "Defending Champions"

Defending Champs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When does a team stop being defending champions?

• When they no longer have a chance to defend their title
    • When a new champion is crowned

The corner store by my work was selling specially marked Astros champion fountain drinks, that were cheaper. They stopped today, since their no longer the defending champs. But I got into a discussion with him, saying they stopped being defending champions last week when they were knocked out, and no longer had a chance to defend their title. 

a champion should stop when they are mathematically eliminated the next season?

the 1993 Blue Jays boasted about being defending champions in 1995 when the 1994 strike wiped out the World Series

not sure if the 1918 Toronto Arenas did this when the 1919 Stanley Cup was cancelled due to the influenza, but the word "influenza" was engraved on the Cup so maybe influenza was the defending champion in 1920?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The corner store by my work was selling specially marked Astros champion fountain drinks, that were cheaper. They stopped today, since their no longer the defending champs. But I got into a discussion with him, saying they stopped being defending champions last week when they were knocked out, and no longer had a chance to defend their title. 

How often did your mother drop you on your head?

defend

verb

de·fend | \di-ˈfend  \

Definition of defend 

transitive verb

1a: to drive danger or attack away from defend the castle from invaders

b(1): to maintain or support in the face of argument or hostile criticism defend a theorycouldn't defend their actions

(2): to prove (something, such as a doctoral thesis or dissertation) valid by answering questions in an oral exam preparing to defend her thesis

csports : to attempt to prevent an opponent from scoring at elects to defend the south goal

2archaic : PREVENT, FORBIDwhich God defend that I should wring from him— Shakespeare

3: to act as attorney for hired a lawyer to defend their son

4law : to deny or oppose the right of a plaintiff in regard to (a suit or a wrong charged) : CONTEST

5: to retain or seek to retain (something, such as a title or position) against a challenge in a contest they successfully defended their championship

Definition 5; "to retain a title against a challenge."

Any champion retains their title until a new one is crowned.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:53 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly. My mother never did. My father however, when I was five months old, legit dropped me on my head and I fractured my skull. 

Legit?

Is that by accident or on purpose?

Yeah... Don't let these Holy Roller Trollers both You.  You just keep starting legit threads and I will keep replying.  It drives the crazy.  Together We can wear them down.  You watch Cripple Creek, He's the quiet sneaky one.  I will go back for help!!!

Old men hate conversation (exception: @CountryCletus he's 30 years ahead of his time) You just keep on talking!

?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Interesting. 

Maybe each conference champion should have to play the defending champion one game before the world series. If they lose, they're out and the defending champion plays the world series again. That way they can keep defending their title in a more literal fashion.

I voted being eliminated. It says: "defending." Key word.  They are still the champs till new one wins.  But, they aren't defending & have a dog in hunt after being eliminated.

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Interesting. 

Maybe each conference champion should have to play the defending champion one game before the world series. If they lose, they're out and the defending champion plays the world series again. That way they can keep defending their title in a more literal fashion.

This ain't some 167 year old sailboat race.

That's bad enough, rigged enough.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Until there’s a NEW champion, it’s OK for the LAST team to bask in the glory, IMO. 

It was lame for the Blue Jays to claim it as they were nowhere near the playoffs in the 1994 strike season and were out of contention by May 1995 the next season

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

It was lame for the Blue Jays to claim it as they were nowhere near the playoffs in the 1994 strike season and were out of contention by May 1995 the next season

Well, special circumstances there....there ARE limits.