Bruschi may sit out 05 season

Couple of comments on this article. Would love to see how the Pats react if he sits out the season. Article stated if they out him on PUP list, still owe him his salary. Think they better be real delicate how they handle this. Cut him like they did Milloy or Law, and I ffinally think the players will say screw this take one for the team thing.

Other interesting point is the ability for a player to retire and still get his whole bonus. After Deion getting $9M upfont and playing only a year, and then the Ricky thing, I would think that teams would start to include as standard language in a contract that if you retire voluntarily, you owe back the amount of prorated bonus that you have not earned over the course of the contract.

Who else here can see big Mike Williams, after his issues last year, collecting his three bonus for this year and just saying the hell with football, I'm not mentally into it anymore. Not saying this will happen, only that it could. Lotta nut cases on a football team.

That would be a serious blow to the Pats. As much as I hate the Pats I would hate to see it. Bruschi seems like a great guy, great father, and hes a great player. Get well Ted and do what you feel is right

Couple of comments on this article. Would love to see how the Pats react if he sits out the season. Article stated if they out him on PUP list, still owe him his salary. Think they better be real delicate how they handle this. Cut him like they did Milloy or Law, and I ffinally think the players will say screw this take one for the team thing.

284165[/snapback]

Somehow I get the feeling they will do just that, and release him right out. He won't retire right away, cause he might get better and play in the future, but I dont think the Pats team mentality would carry this, unless this happened to Brady.

A few things for consideration here; While this may indeed be true its too early to speculate.

1. Ron Borges is notorious in this region for his hatred of Belichick and the Pats and writes many of these articles more wishing or hoping it come true than anything.

2. Brad Blank is Ron Borges' agent. You think the Globe would have mentioned that.

As always, consider the source is all I'm sayin'.

That's the best news I heard all off-season. :P

284274[/snapback]

Dude that was cold, mean, and very insensitive of you. That comment is going to make you a lot of enemies...

I'm glad you said it before I did. 0:)

Dude that was cold, mean, and very insensitive of you. That comment is going to make you a lot of enemies...

I'm glad you said it before I did.  :P

284282[/snapback]

I THINK I have a bunch of enemies here anyways 0:)

Besides, I do hope the guy is all right, and with that being said, "take the year off Tedy, we will miss you". (wink, wink)

I THINK I have a bunch of enemies here anyways :P

284292[/snapback]

Why? Is that by choice? There are some people who just want to stir the pot in an attempt to "get a rep". Is that what you're looking to do? Personally, I have no problem with your posts.

Why?  Is that by choice?  There are some people who just want to stir the pot in an attempt to "get a rep".  Is that what you're looking to do?  Personally, I have no problem with your posts.

284296[/snapback]

Thanks, buddy :P

Honestly, I dunno how people feel.

As far as me trying to get a rep, that's not a motive. I just like talking about the Bills and OT posts on TSW. You guys make me laugh 0:) and make me cry :doh:

Other interesting point is the ability for a player to retire and still get his whole bonus. After Deion getting $9M upfont and playing only a year, and then the Ricky thing, I would think that teams would start to include as standard language in a contract that if you retire voluntarily, you owe back the amount of prorated bonus that you have not earned over the course of the contract.

Who else here can see big Mike Williams, after his issues last year, collecting his three bonus for this year and just saying the hell with football, I'm not mentally into it anymore. Not saying this will happen, only that it could. Lotta nut cases on a football team.

284165[/snapback]

You think that Bruschi doesn't wish he held out for more money or went to a team willing to pay him his going rate right about now? All these Patriot players will soon come to realize that their earning power has a very small window to it and actually demand market price like all our players and the rest of the NFL players demand. I don't know what made them drink the coolaid, and it was great that they did it for Kraft and the fans, but now look at Bruschi. This guy did not make a lot of money and he was perhaps the best linebacker in the NFL the last three years. He was by far the biggest playmaker.

this attitude will come up and bite the patsies in the a$$...lets see how this unfolds...if they screw him over i can see lots of playes sayin :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: new england i am going to make some money...

as for tedy, i hope ya get better soon...

The mind boggling thing that caught my eye was the salary that Brusci is set to earn: $850K for the heart and soul of their defense, and possibly their team? That's a better deal than THen would have been, even if WM never set foot on the field.

Just watch the Patsie force him to retire to get out of paying that next to nothing amount, instead of placing him on PUP and giving him a thank you for this year.

The mind boggling thing that caught my eye was the salary that Brusci is set to earn:  $850K for the heart and soul of their defense, and possibly their team?  That's a better deal than THen would have been, even if WM never set foot on the field. 

Just watch the Patsie force him to retire to get out of paying that next to nothing amount, instead of placing him on PUP and giving him a thank you for this year.

284383[/snapback]

I too am curious to see how "Team Unity" treats it's greatest defensive player. We'll see how quick Belichick flushes Bruschi down the toilet when his cap money is needed elsewhere. Tedy may be wishing he hired an agent earlier.

PTR

The mind boggling thing that caught my eye was the salary that Brusci is set to earn:  $850K for the heart and soul of their defense, and possibly their team?  That's a better deal than THen would have been, even if WM never set foot on the field. 

284383[/snapback]

$850K? He needs to fire his agent.

Do you think the Pats' front office hypnotizes their players at the negotiating table? Seriously, "Now at the count of three, I will snap my finger and you won't care about money. 1, 2, 3" Snap. "$850K, that sounds fair, I'll take it".

You think that Bruschi doesn't wish he held out for more money or went to a team willing to pay him his going rate right about now? All these Patriot players will soon come to realize that their earning power has a very small window to it and actually demand market price like all our players and the rest of the NFL players demand. I don't know what made them drink the coolaid, and it was great that they did it for Kraft and the fans, but now look at Bruschi. This guy did not make a lot of money and he was perhaps the best linebacker in the NFL the last three years. He was by far the biggest playmaker.

284303[/snapback]

Best post I've read in this thread.

284303[/snapback]

You're kidding, right?

95% of NFL contracts never see the numbers that get published in large headlines in the paper. "BRUSCHI SIGNS 7 YEAR, $50 MILLION CONTRACT" would have ensured that he'd be cut after year 3, 4, 5, whatever it was (See Bledsoe, Drew and in the future, Milloy, Lawyer). He "didn't make a lot of money"?? Check the numbers. Bruschi pocketed over $2m last year. His bonus was also over $2m. I think that might qualify as a 'lot of money'. Take into account he's with the model franchise in pro sports, he makes countless more in endorsements in the Boston area, and the fact that he might just enjoy playing where he plays and enjoys living where he lives, and I'm sure he's much happier with his situation than a guy like Takeo Spikes might be in his.

Just sayin'.

You're kidding, right?

95% of NFL contracts never see the numbers that get published in large headlines in the paper.  "BRUSCHI SIGNS 7 YEAR, $50 MILLION CONTRACT" would have ensured that he'd be cut after year 3, 4, 5, whatever it was (See Bledsoe, Drew and in the future, Milloy, Lawyer).  He "didn't make a lot of money"??  Check the numbers.  Bruschi pocketed over $2m last year.  His bonus was also over $2m.  I think that might qualify as a 'lot of money'.  Take into account he's with the model franchise in pro sports, he makes countless more in endorsements in the Boston area, and the fact that he might just enjoy playing where he plays and enjoys living where he lives, and I'm sure he's much happier with his situation than a guy like Takeo Spikes might be in his.

Just sayin'.

284660[/snapback]

Good explanation, but what's with the dig at Spikes?

You were so close.