The NFL Has Terminated Down Judge Hugo Cruz from Referee Carl Cheffers' Crew

Football Zebras exclusive

In a stunning move, the NFL has fired down judge Hugo Cruz, number 94, effective immediately, which has been confirmed by 7 sources who have firsthand knowledge of the situation.

This is the first time in the Super Bowl era that the NFL has fired an official in the middle of the regular season. Previously, the NFL has suspended officials for major mistakes and, if warranted, dropped the official in the offseason. Others had their fate sealed early in the season, but completed the rest of the year, as had happened to a rookie official who fell asleep during a preseason clinic. (He never saw a second season.)

The NFL Referees Association has not responded to our requests for comment, and an NFL spokesman declined to comment.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The NFL Has Terminated Down Judge Hugo Cruz from Referee Carl Cheffers' Crew

I'm curious if this was due to personal transgression, or if it's just the NFL making a marketing move to the fans saying that they do care about the quality of refereeing in the league. I can't imagine it would actually be due to his game calls, otherwise why him over any other ref?

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

I'm curious if this was due to personal transgression, or if it's just the NFL making a marketing move to the fans saying that they do care about the quality of refereeing in the league. I can't imagine it would actually be due to his game calls, otherwise why him over any other ref?

It has to be due to something off the field right??  I can't imagine they'd fire a guy for missing a call...unless he's missed a bunch.  I did see that he blew a false start call on the Chargers a few weeks ago and the play ended up being a TD.

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

4 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

It has to be due to something off the field right??  I can't imagine they'd fire a guy for missing a call...unless he's missed a bunch.  I did see that he blew a false start call on the Chargers a few weeks ago and the play ended up being a TD.

The article in the OP states the reasons why. 

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

.......should we bring 'em in?..............

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't view the article - likely on my end, but this was what led me to believe they didn't provide a public reason from the post itself, "The NFL Referees Association has not responded to our requests for comment, and an NFL spokesman declined to comment."

Edited by ctk232

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm at work and the link was getting blocked.  Now I realize it was trying to take me to twitter, not to the actual story so that's why. 

Just in case anyone else had that problem as well, here's the link outside of Twitter. 

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/10/nfl-fires-down-judge-hugo-cruz/

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Can't view the article - likely on my end, but this was what led me to believe they didn't provide a public reason, "The NFL Referees Association has not responded to our requests for comment, and an NFL spokesman declined to comment."

One of the sources confirmed that Cruz was not “maintaining a very high level of performance over a sustained period,” while another told Football Zebras in March that Cruz’s future with the league was already in jeopardy. This is partially borne out by his lack of postseason assignments for the two seasons he would have qualified for, not counting assignment as an alternate last season. Another oddity that our sources could not find a reason for was that Cruz was assigned to a different crew for 3 of the 6 regular season games he has worked this year. He was assigned to Brad Allen’s crew in Week 6 when a crucial missed false start call should have nullified a Chargers touchdown (or, more accurately, the play would have been shut down long before that).

Even though the miscall was very significant, no call on its own would prompt a firing. Basic human resources training would tell you that there is a document trail of transgressions that will make the case. It is, apparently, the last straw for senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron. Cruz was off last week, so the Week 6 Chargers-Browns game was his last.

As surprising as a midseason firing is, any firing for that matter is a rare occurrence. Although there are cases of officials seemingly coerced into retirement, mostly to manage turnover, there have been very few outright terminations. In the last 10 years, one official was dismissed for an undisclosed off-field issue, and another was dismissed due to performance following a crucial error in the season finale. That’s it. Notably, the NFL attempted to terminate 8 officials due to performance issues in 2003; the NFLRA was able to successfully get most of them rehired or assigned to the replay booth.

But one source said, as surprising as the move is, when an official does not perform well “there are consequences, which can include termination of employment.”
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

One of the sources confirmed that Cruz was not “maintaining a very high level of performance over a sustained period,” while another told Football Zebras in March that Cruz’s future with the league was already in jeopardy. This is partially borne out by his lack of postseason assignments for the two seasons he would have qualified for, not counting assignment as an alternate last season. Another oddity that our sources could not find a reason for was that Cruz was assigned to a different crew for 3 of the 6 regular season games he has worked this year. He was assigned to Brad Allen’s crew in Week 6 when a crucial missed false start call should have nullified a Chargers touchdown (or, more accurately, the play would have been shut down long before that).

Even though the miscall was very significant, no call on its own would prompt a firing. Basic human resources training would tell you that there is a document trail of transgressions that will make the case. It is, apparently, the last straw for senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron. Cruz was off last week, so the Week 6 Chargers-Browns game was his last.

As surprising as a midseason firing is, any firing for that matter is a rare occurrence. Although there are cases of officials seemingly coerced into retirement, mostly to manage turnover, there have been very few outright terminations. In the last 10 years, one official was dismissed for an undisclosed off-field issue, and another was dismissed due to performance following a crucial error in the season finale. That’s it. Notably, the NFL attempted to terminate 8 officials due to performance issues in 2003; the NFLRA was able to successfully get most of them rehired or assigned to the replay booth.

But one source said, as surprising as the move is, when an official does not perform well “there are consequences, which can include termination of employment.”

Sorry - not trying to be lazy, appreciate the follow up

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thank you very much!  The links aren't working for me either.

• Like (+1) 1