I actually like Daboll!

On 10/25/2018 at 1:02 AM, Estelle Getty said:

The man is atleast attempting to run a real NFL offense. Very rarely do you see the run, run, pass combo we have come so accustom to over the last few years. Gone are the days of draw up the middle out of the shotgun for 1 yard over and over. 

The only issue is he is trying to run a modern day NFL offense with Junior College talent.  I think his stubbornness will pay off in the long run by helping to weed out the players who can’t hack it in a real offense. Much like we saw a defensive overhaul this year I would expect the same on offense next year.  

I have confidence that McBeane have the ability to figure it out, as they did on defense.  As far as McDermott, let’s not forget he got us to the playoffs with a joke of a roster last year.  This year any educated fan could see we were not built to win although there was always the outside chance much like last year.     

I agree. He has been doing a great job.

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

He just got here. Gone through 3 QBs and a Peterman already. Hard to  develop some consistency in pla calling and adjustments for just that reason.
 Once they get the QB situation better settled ( next season ) i will be better qualified to judge Brian as long term answer.

Heck we hated Frazier there for awhile didn't we ?

This.

...one thing C.Biscuit97 (like the reference to one of my favorite Bills linebackers) said that struck me was "Averaging 14.6 points in a league that wants you to score". I know that the league has made rules that lean towards offensive play success, but why do the refs throw so many freaking flags that kill drives and sap momentum. Especially when my Bills play...seems like they should have banana clips for all the flags they throw.

The Bills offense alone has been assessed 355 penalty yards on offense... runs counter to the "wants you to score" theory. By comparison the oft-scoring Rams in their new NFL-highly-coveted LA market have been assessed 163 yards.

Just say'n

12 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Game planning I have zero issues with Daboll.

Game management is where he falls off a cliff.

I like the way he designs plays and is creative, but when it comes to calling them in a game, he doesn't know the proper time for plays to happen. 

You bring up a very interesting observation.  Thanks.

The jury is still out on Daboll. Hopefully the next 5 games will give us a better picture, now that things have settled down a bit.

The talent-level is a major factor, of course, but what really makes it hard to assess Daboll is the lack of continuity at the QB spot.

Game 1: Peterman/Allen

Games 2-5: Allen

Game 6: Allen/Peterman

Games 7-8: Anderson

Game 9: Anderson/Peterman

Game 10: Peterman

Game 11: Barkley

Game 12: Allen

Offense is about consistency and reps, knowing what the guy next to you is going to do. That is so important on the Offensive line (the Wood and Incognito retirements

really affected that, along with the ever-changing QB) and its also important in the timing between a QB and WR. It's hard to build an offense and keep improving when you have to cater to a different QBs strengths and weaknesses every other week. And those QBs have had very little time working with the WRs and O-line and in some cases, have only had the playbook for a week or two. It's hard to build a comfort level in that situation, which is what you need to have to run a good offense.

Plus, Daboll runs a NE-style, match-up offense. That means a big playbook, so you can pull different things out each week to attack each opponent in their area of weakness. If they were repping the same plays over and over each week, the learning curve wouldn't be as steep. In the deeper playbook, as the season wears on (or if you have run the system for multiple years), you will have started running plays and schemes over at that point and getting better at it because it isn't stuff you haven't repped much before. You've now run these plays in games. I think it is just a system that takes longer to master or at least get competent at and the instability at the QB spot has just delayed progress that much further.

So, I'm not sure yet if Daboll is the right guy for the job or not (I was pretty down on him just a few weeks ago), but it looks like things may be trending up, so...

Why I would like Daboll back next year:

1. Continuity for Josh 

2. He's a hometown guy and Bills fan (he wants to be here and succeed here)

3. The last couple of games he has come out of the booth and been on the sidelines and on Sunday against the Jaguars, there was one point where the camera caught

him encouraging/firing up the defense. The defense, not his offense. Loved that.

4. Next year through the draft and FA money, there will be a big influx of offensive talent. He deserves a chance to show what he can do with that.

5. He'll know his players better, have an offseason to tweak things, and his players will have a better comprehension of his playbook.

Then we can make a true assessment. Is Josh progressing, have the new players integrated into the team/system, are we scoring more, etc. And if I were McDermott, I would do one thing, I would give Daboll full authority to release and then hire any offensive coaches he chooses to in the offseason. Daboll inherited a lot of his offensive staff. I would let him bring in any of his own guys over the offseason. Guys that he feels would teach his system better and/or teach fundamentals the way he wants them taught (I'm looking at you Juan Castillo). Let him stand or fall on his own decisions.

Edited by folz