Honestly WTF is up with all the Henry bashing

zevo

the guy gave us his all. He just wants to move on, and i cant blame him. Damn leave the guy alone. He has alot of heart for the game. I hope he does well where ever he ends. I'd like to see him turnaround Zona.

284045[/snapback]

Finally someone who agrees with me on Henry. Some team maybe Arizona will get a very good football player. A team player who is willing to sacrifice. Make the trade Tom. Oh I forgot TD knows what he's doing....can't you tell by his record in Buffalo he's always right.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oops, i was looking for some info on TH and accidentally walked into the travis henry circle jerk...

284531[/snapback]

:P

I think some here are waiting to help him carry his jock for him when he leaves buffalo... I mean, you have to remember, he played a season on a broken leg (the fact that it was non weight bearing and caused minimal pain can't take away from some heroic stories! haha)...

I wish all the best for Travis.... I heard in Arizona, the gas stations are well lit ...

oops, i was looking for some info on TH and accidentally walked into the travis henry circle jerk...

284531[/snapback]

That's disturbing, If you could never use that line again, that would be great, thanks.

Henry gave us stability at RB for the 02 and 03 seasons.  There were many times when he had me out of my seat cheerin at the Ralph.  He was tough as hell and gave it his all every game, there is no denying that. I appreciate Travis's hardwork, effort and the way he handled the whole situation last year.  He was and still is a very productive 2nd round draft pick and I wish the guy the best luck in w/e his future holds.

284087[/snapback]

Very well said. These are facts and not a "pitty party" :P

Just wait until McGahee contract is up and his agent ask for $7 mil a year...I'll bet he wouldn't sgn a team friendly (albeit stupid) deal like Henry did after rushing for 1400 yards 2 straight seasons; oh I forgot: Henry grew up a Buffalo Bills fan and his dream was to play for them; now it has become a nightmare!

Just wait until McGahee contract is up and his agent ask for $7 mil a year...I'll bet he wouldn't sgn a team friendly (albeit stupid) deal like Henry did after rushing for 1400 yards 2 straight seasons; oh I forgot: Henry grew up a Buffalo Bills fan and his dream was to play for them; now it has become a nightmare!

284549[/snapback]

Hey bluv, I heard if you hurry, there's an auction on eBay for a piece of gum chewed by Henry, collected from the players lot at the Ralph...

Besides the obviously "Sexual Misconduct" that he was convicted of with a 15 year old, he has a lot of warts.

I have always said he is a good stright ahead runner, however.

he is a poor blocker

cannot read blitzes

poor pass receiver

no ability to line up spread and catch downfield

is terrible at handling the ball

no break away speed

and this year he added tripping over yard lines to the list

basically he is a good one dimensional runner, and because of it limited our ability on the field to do anything out of the backfield to mix it up. Is it a wonder that we haven't thrown a screen pass since Thurman left?

Was Travis the best back we had during the Morris, Travis, etc... era, YES. That does not make him a good running back. He got 1300 yards just because teams teed off on the QB for those years and he lucked out with some opportunity because of the all out blitz. He also was the only running option, because as bad as he was the rest were horrendous, therefore he got 99% of the carries.

Again, none of that makes him a good back, just the best one we had.

I have been calling for years to replace him so we can make the running back position something to worry about, and not tell every team what play we are running based on personel on the field and formations. Hell I could correctly call the play from our formation 95% of the time. Other teams had to laugh at the limitations of our backfield.

284549[/snapback]

Doesn't McGahee's contract last another 3 years at least? At that point, we might be moving on to another RB considering the average career span for RBs in the NFL.

Henry signed the team friendly contract because he was broke.

I hope Henry goes some place and gains 1500 yards. He was a good back, but now it appears we have a better one. Every time Henry speaks to the media he simply removes all doubt that he isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

284549[/snapback]

Doesn't McGahee's contract last another 3 years at least? At that point, we might be moving on to another RB considering the average career span for RBs in the NFL.

284567[/snapback]

I believe it is a 7 year deal with the ability for him to earn top 5 money if he reaches a lot of the bonuses.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have to admit that Tuesday's tantrum-like rant kind of peed me off - it was rather unprofessional IMO, but all-in-all, TH gave his all over the past few seasons.  Unfortunately for him, that wasn't enough to keep him on the field ahead of WM.

284076[/snapback]

I agree. He needs to STFU or he's going to blow this for everyone. I've always like him as a player and have never cared how learning impaired, or even dumb, he is...until it starts having an affect on the negotiating. TH's agent clearly has a payment due on a boat that he cannot afford, and is trying to accelerate the deal.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...and TH is stupid to let it happen.

Unfortunately, however, there will always be the holier-than-thou faction who take any chance they can get to pull a Barry Bonds and just let crap ooze from their brain and be critical of him as though they've never once appreciated him.

I particularly enjoy the folks who say he's a worthless creep and we should just dump him for a box of Oreos. Really. Very Barry Bonds-like.

It is common knowledge that running backs on average last 4-5 years as moderately or highly productive players. TH is on the absolute down side of his career.

Everytime TH carried the ball my first instinct was to think "hang on to it" and the second was "don't come up injured". It was never, "he can break this one for a touchdown".

TH is not irreplaceable. He was an "ok" back with as many risks as benefits.

We will be alright with out him if that is the direction the Bills take.

Besides the obviously "Sexual Misconduct" that he was convicted of with a 15 year old, he has a lot of warts.

I have always said he is a good stright ahead runner, however.

he is a poor blocker

cannot read blitzes

poor pass receiver

no ability to line up spread and catch downfield

is terrible at handling the ball

no break away speed

and this year he added tripping over yard lines to the list

basically he is a good one dimensional runner, and because of it limited our ability on the field to do anything out of the backfield to mix it up.  Is it a wonder that we haven't thrown a screen pass since Thurman left? 

284566[/snapback]

I would say that Drew Bledsoe's problem with short-pass touch is the main reason why we haven't thrown screens. McGahee is a better pass-catcher, but still... this has been a knock on Bledsoe for a long time. I do, though, think your criticisms of Henry are accurate and speak to why TH will never be a good back-up for us. While I think he will be a good starter somewhere, I believe a good bacl-up RB should also be a good third-down back. Henry's problems catching and blocking disqualify him from 3rd down duties.

I would say that Drew Bledsoe's problem with short-pass touch is the main reason why we haven't thrown screens. McGahee is a better pass-catcher, but still... this is has been a knock on Bledsoe for a long time. I do, though, think your criticisms of Henry are accurate and speak to why TH will never be a good back-up for us. While I think he will be a good starter somewhere, I believe a good bacl-up RB should also be a good third-down back. Henry's problems catching and blocking disqualify him from 3rd down duties.

284578[/snapback]

I agree on the Drew comment, it is true he struggle tacking stuff off on short passes. But, Drew wasn't here the first year, and I used to scream then that WTF aren't we running screens. Travis slid to the side and if the QB got it trouble took the little pitch. With all the bliztes he sure got a lot of pitches but he dropped plenty of them.

But think about it, can you find on film anywhere that Travis went in motion out to the flank and then was passed to? I can't. But when Willis wasin, that play occurred several times per game. Even with MM limiting the playbook for Drew, we had 10x more plays with Willis in there.

I would say that Drew Bledsoe's problem with short-pass touch is the main reason why we haven't thrown screens. McGahee is a better pass-catcher, but still... this has been a knock on Bledsoe for a long time. I do, though, think your criticisms of Henry are accurate and speak to why TH will never be a good back-up for us. While I think he will be a good starter somewhere, I believe a good bacl-up RB should also be a good third-down back. Henry's problems catching and blocking disqualify him from 3rd down duties.

284578[/snapback]

IMO, those things are mutually exclusive. And actually, there are a lot more backs in this league who are good 3rd down backs but lousy back-ups if asked to assume the starter role if your main guy goes down. A team always keeps three backs for just this reason. Henry may be a worse third down back than, say, Shaud Williams or Larry Centers, but a much better back-up than either of those two.

IMO, those things are mutually exclusive. And actually, there are a lot more backs in this league who are good 3rd down backs but lousy back-ups if asked to assume the starter role if your main guy goes down. A team always keeps three backs for just this reason. Henry may be a worse third down back than, say, Shaud Williams or Larry Centers, but a much better back-up than either of those two.

284611[/snapback]

I'll grant you that, but I think the ideal back-up can fill in both roles. For example, doesn't Kevin Faulk fill both for New England?

I'll grant you that, but I think the ideal back-up can fill in both roles. For example, doesn't Kevin Faulk fill both for New England?

284616[/snapback]

Well, no. IMO, he's a terrible back-up but a good third down guy. He can catch and can block but has never shown any abililty to carry and produce for full games.