Your Bills Fanhood

I was a Bears fan at 7 years old (1985).  The Fridge, McMahon, Superbowl shuffle were just so cool.  

1. How did you become a Bills fan? As i seriously started watching football in late 80's in CNY the Bills were on TV and I fell in love.
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? I love the fans and how the team embraces the fans.  
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?  I loved yelling "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

I was born in Rochester and slowly became a Bills fan by osmosis on Sunday afternoons.  What cemented it for me was when I was 10 my dad & a couple of the other fathers in our neighborhood took us kids on a road trip to see a game at the Rock Pile.  As a kid growing up in Rochester I thought of Buffalo as a far away place where you went on vacation to see the zoo or Niagara Falls!  Anyway the game we saw was against the Boston Patriots and even though OJ didn't play that day the Bills won the game and I was hooked. 

I attended a few more games during junior high & high school and have to admit that with the Bills being awful I also rooted for the KC Chiefs who won the Super Bowl in 1970.  But OJ's amazing 2000 yard season in 1974 brought me back into the fold and returned me to football monogamy. 

One game I remember while still in high school was a trip to Rich Stadium to watch the Bills play the Vikings.  It was a massive snow storm and I got to see a couple of NFL TD records set by OJ & Fran Tarkenton.  The Bills lost but what stuck in my mind was the constant barrage of snowballs that were flying out of the stands and crashing on top of the Vikings sideline.  I mean it was HUNDREDS of snow balls constantly falling among the Viking players & coaches.  We were seated in the open end zone high up and so our view of this snow ball Armageddon was surrealistic.   Even as a HS kid I knew it was wrong yet there was a certain beauty to it all as the snow balls rose up from the stands and then descended in a graceful arc to smash into the Vikings bench.  At that point a reality hit me as a Bills fan - win or lose, Bills games could still be a blast!

I guess my favorite memory was when the Bills ended the Miami winning streak at Rich Stadium on opening day of the 1980 season.  By that time I was in college at UB and as I recall the weather was beautiful with the sun out and it actually being hot.  As college students attending the game and taking full advantage of the tail gating the game was a blur but I do remember that the Bills kept turning the ball over as if some weird curse was in play.  Then they got 2 TD's in the 4th quarter to win and the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts.  I guess this is where the term PANDEMONIUM to describe a Bills game got started?  If not, it should have!  

And of course the super bowl run was amazing.  At the time it left a bitter taste in my mouth but over the years I've come to realize the greatness of the achievement.  No one will ever again go to 4 straight Super Bowls.  No one. 

On 10/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

With all the bickering going on about McBeane, Peterman, etc, TBD has been quite tense the last few days. More than usual I'd say. So I thought I'd start a thread to cool everybody down. Three questions.

1. How did you become a Bills fan?
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? 
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?

1. Step father was a Bills fan. First game I remember watching was the playoff game we lost to the Browns.

2. The tradition. No matter how the team plays they somehow garner new fans every year. We don't have to watch a Bills game just like we don't have to celebrate Christmas, right?

3. Listening to the play by play of the Greatest Comeback on my dad's stereo in the living room. "It's pandemonium!" I can still hear it like I just heard it yesterday.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

This is pathetic. So many good games over the years and the first guy to not be so trash and be just good enough to get us into the playoffs after a million years getting traded is your best memory??? Pathetic. 

I consider it to be Elite.

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

HA! I used to trade football cards with George in our basement. I always thought he had an advantage! This goes way back to when we lived in Oakbrook in Williamsville. 

If you want me to say hi, PM me your name he would know you as. He really is a terrific guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. At 15, my family Immigrated to U.S. from Korea and settled in Amherst.  Bills and Sabres were only news of the Town which I did not understand at first.

2. Loyal fans across the country.  Proud to wear team logo win or loss.  

3. I moved to NYC/Long Island, NY in 1996 after college.   I married in NYC and 2 boys were born.  I was so excited when two of my boys became BILLS fan, juggling between Giants.  Taking my boys to their first Bills game at Metlife stadium last year and experiencing HUGE away game tailgate with BILLS fan.  Trip to Buffalo this year, of course with two boys, to watch their first Sabres and BIlls game as a HOME TEAM.  Hugging and singing shout song after Hauschka's winning field goal.