Is it possible they told Josh Allen to dial it down?

Rebel101

I’m not a huge Allen fan and didn’t want us to draft him nor waste all our picks on 2 players but **** happens and we are here. He looked good in one game where the game plan was favorable to cover our weaknesses and also allowed him to highlight his strengths as a young QB but he almost killed himself numerous times and obviously this year isn’t about winning games. So is it possible that the coaching staff is just giving him different game plans and things to teach him and telling him not to get hurt and just learn what you can week to week get through the season and next year things will be different? But for coaches to do that McBeane must feel comfortable with their jobs for a few years at least definitely not the standard 3 and out. But maybe the owners have given them a time frame because they wanted to fix the cap space. I don’t know I’m just processing info because this team has looked crazy and hasn’t done 1 thing consistently and neither the offense or defense is playing with any fire besides in Minn so what the !@#$ could it possibly be

Edited by Rebel101

Minnesota was a product of Cousins fumbling, and getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties going our way to keep our offensive drives moving. When that happens, the other team is demoralized, and the Bills play inspired. The bills didn't get that this week, so they looked like they did against the Ravens and Chargers again....

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

Minnesota was a product of Cousins fumbling, and getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties going our way to keep our offensive drives moving. When that happens, the other team is demoralized, and the Bills play inspired. The bills didn't get that this week, so they looked like they did against the Ravens and Chargers again....

Those things definitely helped.

But Dabolls game plan was also night and day from last week.

It was fantastic against Minn, it was just plain disgusting against GB

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Those things definitely helped.

But Dabolls game plan was also night and day from last week.

It was fantastic against Minn, it was just plain disgusting against GB

OK, what was his game plan? What was his game plan for Minnesota?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

OK, what was his game plan? What was his game plan for Minnesota?

His game plan yesterday? You should probably ask him lol.

To me it appeared like he was trying to get the passing game going. Which makes no sense cause as we know Pettines pass defence is usually very good with his exotic blitzes, but his run defence usually suffers because of that. So throwing a lot into Green Bays strength with a rookie QB on the road while barely giving your best player the ball seems very idiotic to me.

Against Minnesota it was way more creative. More screens, motion, play actions. He kept Zimmer guessing all game. Yesterday was the same predicable play calling as Rico

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

You're correct about luck with the turnover ratio and key drive sustaining penalties.

But it has nothing whatsoever to do with demoralization and inspiration of players. 

A lot of thing went our way, by chance, in the Minnesota game, and they are looking like a team that is not nearly as good as some thought they would be this year.   That game is the aberration and it's easy to see why.

The norm is the other 3 games in which we have looked like a bottom 3 team, if not the worst in the league.

35 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

His game plan yesterday? You should probably ask him lol.

To me it appeared like he was trying to get the passing game going. Which makes no sense cause as we know Pettines pass defence is usually very good with his exotic blitzes, but his run defence usually suffers because of that. So throwing a lot into Green Bays strength with a rookie QB on the road while barely giving your best player the ball seems very idiotic to me.

Against Minnesota it was way more creative. More screens, motion, play actions. He kept Zimmer guessing all game. Yesterday was the same predicable play calling as Rico

That's just it, we don't know what the game was, teams do not make detailed game plans available for obvious reasons!

22 minutes ago, vorpma said:

That's just it, we don't know what the game was, teams do not make detailed game plans available for obvious reasons!

0 points. It’s fair for us fans to say his game plan sucked regardless of how many details we know. It clearly did not work in the slightest bit. 

What I do know were the details I listed above, and it’s even more ridiculous in hindsight to have not run the ball more as he basically fed Allen to The wolves 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

0 points. It’s fair for us fans to say his game plan sucked regardless of how many details we know. It clearly did not work in the slightest bit. 

What I do know were the details I listed above, and it’s even more ridiculous in hindsight to have not run the ball more as he basically fed Allen to The wolves 

You can have the greatest offensive game plan ever conceived, but if you don't block, receivers don't get open and can't catch, and you have a rookie QB facing Mike Pettine, what you think you know - well...; who knows maybe you are an OC waiting to explode on the NFL scene and can save the Bills! I'm sure your a genius!

No. They did not tell Allen to dial it down. Allen had a terrible game and we got beat because of better match-ups for Green Bay, and they had a superior defensive scheme. Pretty simple folks. 

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

...how does that show up one week and vanish the next?......any credence to the worn out cliche', "well they came out flat"?...........maybe "bad day at the office" works better.......

18 minutes ago, vorpma said:

You can have the greatest offensive game plan ever conceived, but if you don't block, receivers don't get open and can't catch, and you have a rookie QB facing Mike Pettine, what you think you know - well...; who knows maybe you are an OC waiting to explode on the NFL scene and can save the Bills! I'm sure your a genius!

Not sure why the attack at the end. Just my observation that he didn’t have a good game plan and you would think 0 points confirms that. Have a good day sir

Green Bay is the better team and they were at home and coming off a bad performance so this was going to be hard game to win.

We need to start better.  Daboll has to do a better job of helping Allen. 

Our OL is poor and we have nothing at WR so  compensate with quick throws out of spread formations to help Allen get rid of the ball faster and spread the defense to allow the running game a chance to get started.

The first series gave us a third and 1 run up the middle behind the fullback set the tone for Daboll's poor play calling.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think that during the week they worked with him on throwing the ball away.  Early in the game he had a really quick trigger throwing it away.  Not so much as the game progressed.

All part of his education, I suppose.  

13 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Not sure why the attack at the end. Just my observation that he didn’t have a good game plan and you would think 0 points confirms that. Have a good day sir

Not an attack, just some ribbing! Take it easy and have a good one!

Typically what you want to do with a rookie QB is run.

Typically what you want to do against a Pettine D is run.  

I really expected our backs to get more carries but Josh was slinging the ball all over the place.   It made me wonder if, as I joked in another thread, Daboll is looking at 2018 as the preseason for 2019.   His play-calling might be more about getting a hard look at Allen and giving him lots of opportunities than about winning this year.