Will we ever have an offense

Stroke 17

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Left tackle under a rookie contract + unexpected C retirement + LG in psycho ward + pre-existing salary cap hell = reporter's ability to imply stupidity/intent.

I'll blame McBeane if they don't address the OL heavily this offseason.  Until then, we'd have to also acknowledge the removal of Edmunds or at least Harry if we want more from the OL in 2018.  And even then I he cap number probably gets lower.

The salary cap he’ll you mention was created by BB and McD. 

On 10/1/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stroke 17 said:

Looking around the league yesterday there is no doubt the Bills have the worst offense in the entire country. Pee wee, high school ,college, powder puff......  Will we ever see an NFL offfense? Will we ever see a real NFL receiver?  The rules in the Nfl favor offenses and here in Buffalo the Bills can"t get a freakin field goal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Some point totals from yesterday, Houston 37, Colts 34, Bears 48, Bengals 37, Falcons 36, Pats 45, Browns 42, Raiders 45, Saints 33.  The team I root for 0, ZERO, NONE, ZILCH, NADA not a freakin point. Years ago John McKay coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs was asked about the EXECUTION of his offense, he said he was in favor of it. Thats how I feel about the Bills offense.

I want my ticket money back, I deserve at least half my money back as it seem that the Bills only field half a team.  That wide receiver bunch is a freakin joke, and the offensive  line is the punch line.

Thanks for letting me vent.  They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!

I'm hoping this team takes a Chicago Bears type of leap, the Bears last year remind me of the Bills this year, a rookie QB, the OL needed work, no WR and a decent run game, relying on the defense to win them games why the rookie QB progresses and he had many ups and downs last year much like the ride Allen was on before he was injured. Now the bears did some patch work on the OL, Signed WR Allen Robinson, traded for LB Khalil Mack and you can tell Trubisky is progressing in the right direction so if we continue to build around Josh and take care of the offense through the draft and FA I don't see why we can't start contending for the playoffs and beyond.

The Bills, who have been outscored 241-96 through nine games, need to rally in the second half to stay off the list of all-time ineptitude.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Around every corner lurks another statistic that tells the cringeworthy story of the Buffalo Bills' offense this season.

Football Outsiders metric, the Bills are on track to be the NFL's worst offense since at least 1986. They are the first team since the 1977 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Pro Football Reference, to have thrown as many or more interceptions returned for touchdowns as passing touchdowns through nine games.

Even relatively good news, such as Nathan Peterman's completing 31 passes in Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears, has come with bad news. No NFL quarterback since 1950 with at least 31 completions in a game has gained fewer yards than Peterman, with 189, did Sunday.

Fewest Points

The Bills have scored 96 points in nine games, putting them on pace for 171 points this season. Excluding strike years, here are the teams with the fewest points scored in a season since the NFL expanded to a 16-game schedule in 1978:

TEAM POINTS
1992 Seahawks 140
1991 Colts 143
2000 Browns 161
1998 Eagles 161
2006 Raiders 168
2009 Rams 175
1990 Patriots 181

Finally, it wouldn't be the weekly DVOA commentary in 2018 without a check-in on the fascinating black hole that is the Buffalo Bills offense. Last week, the Bills were the worst offense we had ever tracked through eight games. Somehow, they got even worse, dropping from -51.8% to -53.9%. And this was the week for the Bills to get out of last place in our historical tracking, because the 2005 49ers had a horrendous Week 10 loss to the Chicago Bears. That dropped them to -53.0% offensive DVOA (based on how DVOA works now, not how it worked when Football Outsiders was around in 2005). Before the 2018 Bills, San Francisco's -53.0% offensive DVOA in Week 10 of 2005 was the only time since 1986 any offense was below -50% after Week 6.

WORST OFFENSIVE DVOA
THROUGH 9 GAMES, 1986-2018
Year Team DVOA
2018 BUF -53.9%
2005 SF -53.0%
2002 HOU -47.0%
2010 CAR -45.9%
2013 JAX -44.5%
1992 SEA -44.3%
2007 SF -43.8%
1996 STL -43.0%
2009 OAK -42.7%
1992 IND -39.9%
2006 OAK -39.7%
2004 MIA -38.6%

The next week, the 49ers played the Seattle Seahawks and kept the game close, losing 27-25. That game raised their offensive DVOA to -46.2%. So if the Bills don't get their act together against the New York Jets this week, there's going to be a big gap between the 2018 Bills and every other bad offense in the 33-year history of DVOA ratings.

Remember my little stat about the Chiefs' offensive DVOA compared to single games for other teams? Well, we can tell the same story about the Bills. There are only 10 single games this year where other teams have offensive DVOA worse than what the Bills have for the entire season so far. The Bills have the two worst single games on offense (Week 1, a 47-3 loss to Baltimore, and Week 4, Green Bay's 22-0 shutout) and five of the worst 11.
At least the Bills have one excuse for looking so bad: they've played a very difficult schedule. Buffalo has played the third-most difficult schedule of opposing defenses this year, trailing just Tennessee and Arizona. This sounds like a great excuse until you realize which team has played the fourth-hardest schedule of opposing defenses.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:07 AM, Bangarang said:

Probably not. We hire HCs who think because it gets cold here in the winter our offense needs to be built around running the ball. 

The crazy part is that the template for something different has been around since Levy/Kelly here!! The Bills routinely brought out the ugly stick against whoever showed up at Rich Stadium back in the day, scoring 51 points against the Raiders here in January 91, and always bringing it against the ‘phins during the playoffs with 30+ points etc. Yes they could run the freaking ball with Thurman and that Oline, but they could also air it out just as easily, weather schmether! Bunch of stereotypical nonsense from people who don’t know that it actually gets colder/snowier in Kansas City than Buffalo on average during the course of a season. But yes, by all means let’s build a bully to play smash mouth run first and put our fans to sleep while we’re at it because the No Huddle K Gun never existed

43 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The crazy part is that the template for something different has been around since Levy/Kelly here!! The Bills routinely brought out the ugly stick against whoever showed up at Rich Stadium back in the day, scoring 51 points against the Raiders here in January 91, and always bringing it against the ‘phins during the playoffs with 30+ points etc. Yes they could run the freaking ball with Thurman and that Oline, but they could also air it out just as easily, weather schmether! Bunch of stereotypical nonsense from people who don’t know that it actually gets colder/snowier in Kansas City than Buffalo on average during the course of a season. But yes, by all means let’s build a bully to play smash mouth run first and put our fans to sleep while we’re at it because the No Huddle K Gun never existed

yup, leadership hires people who have never actually been to Buffalo and can only muster images of the blizzard of 77, so they come in with an unshakable notion that the only way to win in Buffalo is with a Neanderthal offense centered around 1 yard and a cloud of dust

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

yup, leadership hires people who have never actually been to Buffalo and can only muster images of the blizzard of 77, so they come in with an unshakable notion that the only way to win in Buffalo is with a Neanderthal offense centered around 1 yard and a cloud of dust

Or cloud of snow? because you know, no snow plows

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We can’t have an offense because it is a blizzard every day in Buffalo.  Run the ball and stop the run!!!

it would be my first question in interviewing perspective coaches, "What week of the NFL season do you think it generally starts to snow in Buffalo?" and if they answer anything lower than 15, push the eject button under the desk.  the second question would be "do you believe it's possible to throw a regulation football when it is below 32 degrees?"

Edited by dorquemada

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Build a new stadium, make it a dome or retractable and you'll never have to deal with this again. Only non-personnel move that will help us out here.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...