innocent man set free, thanks in part to Golf Channel

Steve O

I have seen so many documentaries and read so many stories now, about innocent people doing jail time, that I am convinced this is fairly common throughout the country.

It stems from the fact that often, in a lot of areas, the people enforcing the law are dumb or lazy or both, and they are not necessarily looking to have justice done.  They are just looking to find a body to prosecute in a court room and then throw in jail so it looks like they are doing their job and the general citizenry can feel relaxed that justice was served. 

It's a big problem and would be viewed as a lot bigger, if the victims in this weren't almost always at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

So for the most part, no one really cares.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have seen so many documentaries and read so many stories now, about innocent people doing jail time, that I am convinced this is fairly common throughout the country.

It stems from the fact that often, in a lot of areas, the people enforcing the law are dumb or lazy or both, and they are not necessarily looking to have justice done.  They are just looking to find a body to prosecute in a court room and then throw in jail so it looks like they are doing their job and the general citizenry can feel relaxed that justice was served. 

It's a big problem and would be viewed as a lot bigger, if the victims in this weren't almost always at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

Probably not the best of taste but it made me think of this and laugh

Screen_Shot_2016-09-01_at_11.22.21_AM.0.

???

“The guys can’t understand,” Dixon told Golf Digest. “They always say I don’t need to be drawing this golf stuff. I know it makes no sense, but for some reason my spirit is attuned to this game.”

Clearly a man who has never played golf...

58 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This is the number one reason to repeal the death penalty.  You can bet hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people have been executed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is the number one reason to repeal the death penalty.  You can bet hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people have been executed.

That's probably a vast exaggeration.  But I'm sure there have been some.  I've always said it should be preponderance of the evidence for Civil, without a reasonable doubt for Criminal, and no f'n way it could be anything other than this person for Death.  It just needs to have a higher burden of proof in other words.

Edited by Mark80

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

That's probably a vast exaggeration.  But I'm sure they have been some.  I've always said it should be preponderance of the evidence for Civil, without a reasonable doubt for Criminal, and no f'n way it could be anything other than this person for Death.  It just needs to have a higher burden of proof in other words.

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'd take the under on that bet.

Don't be so sure. There's been a lot of sloppy and lazy police and prosecuturial work over time.  

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

That's probably a vast exaggeration.  But I'm sure they have been some.  I've always said it should be preponderance of the evidence for Civil, without a reasonable doubt for Criminal, and no f'n way it could be anything other than this person for Death.  It just needs to have a higher burden of proof in other words.

Agree with all your points Mark

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't care what career path you've chosen, this holds true:  10% of the people are very, very good at it.  10% are really, really bad at it.  80% are mediocre and just doing enough not to get noticed.

It's really sad when thing like this happen but it shouldn't be surprising.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't care what career path you've chosen, this holds true:  10% of the people are very, very good at it.  10% are really, really bad at it.  80% are mediocre and just doing enough not to get noticed.

It's really sad when thing like this happen but it shouldn't be surprising.

Yup.  This is good advice for the college grad lacking guidance thread.  If you can find your way into a group dominated by top 10% types, you’ll likely have a much better experience.

• Like (+1) 1