McBeane's way of rebuilding makes no sense

Jerry Jabber

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If Josh Allen turns out to be a QB worthy of a top 10 pick, then the strategy worked. 

The ONLY team in recent memory that has the rest of the team SO bad a franchise QB can't save them is the Colts, but even THEY ended up in the playoffs and an AFC championship game with their franchise QBs.

Buccaneers

Titans although they did win a PO game last year.

Dolphins

Lions (what have they won?)

Denver (Paxton washed out so they went with FA QB)

Chargers (what have they won?)

Texans

Clowns

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

They decided that paying Sammy and Gilmore would not have created a core to build around, at a cost of 30 mil I agree. 

They absolutely created a talent void, I don’t think anyone is arguing that . What people are saying is that  it was better in the long run for them to do so. I agree with them. I am not a fan of the patching holes approach, I believe in the build around central players approach. 

Look ok at the talent that people are complaining we lost. Sammy, paid 16 mil and still not that good. Woods great 2nd or 3rd receiver. Darius lazy, overpaid, distraction. Tyrod, the epitome of meh. Gilmore overpaid and inconsistent. The list goes on. These guys would be improvements over the role players and back ups we have but they are not the core that you build a Super Bowl team around so I’m all for gaining assets to start over with.

complaining about not keeping talent also ignores the salary cap. Teams get in situations where they have to cut talent to get under the cap. The Seahawks did this just this year. You hope it comes after some success but if your plan flops you hit the same wall. When we brought in Rex the hope was to take out top 5 defense add in shady to make a top running attack and put a game manager in place at QB.  We acquired players to make that work adding in pieces that the plan required. But Rex flopped, the game manager and running attack were fine but the Defense didn’t do its job. The next year with Rex was the same and so him and the man that built the team with that plan were let go. The new GM came in he saw a plan that had not worked but the bills were still coming due, the players brought in to make it work cost more and more every year. Like a bussinuss he had two choices declare bankruptcy and start with a new plan from scratch or limp along with reorganization and hope you eventually get a plan that works. 

No no matter what you wanted to see those bills were going to come due, players would be lost. 

Lets see who has been to more SB Gilmore or anyone on the Bills?  

I understand what they did. I get what they did. What I dont get is how they use it as an excuse. They created the issue. I also dont get how fans give them a pass again they created the issue 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I want to give  Beane and McD a min of 5 years. Constant changing of systems keeps starting all over.

Losing Richie and Wood set the OL back big time. Daboll needs a game plan that will keep Allen in one piece or bring in another QB till the OL can pass protect.

51 minutes ago, Herb said:

We're definitely not rebuilding. This coaching staff is so clueless on the most important aspects of fielding a winning team.

Like drafting a potential long term QB.  Or a stud CB.  Or a stud MLB.  Will all these happen?  We'll see.

I believe you need to be strong up front.  I anticipate a lot of attention paid to both lines as they go forward.  I'll be disappointed if they don't do that.

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Matt Ryan has a history in the league.  Allen didn't.   That's a ridiculous comparison

Did he has a history in the league when he started Week 1 of his rookie year?

what about Darnold. No History in the league there. Outplayed by Bridgewater and held out camp started week 1 right?  

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Did he has a history in the league when he started Week 1 of his rookie year?

what about Darnold. No History in the league there. Outplayed by Bridgewater and held out camp started week 1 right?  

True.  You can make arguments both ways about starting a rookie QB.  Peterman had a strong off season and preseason but folds in real games apparently.  So Allen gets his shot.

10 hours ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Allen starting with the o-line we have (and had in the preseason) scares me.  If McBeane knew Allen would be starting at some point this season (let alone week two) he should have gotten him o-line help.  I’m not too sharp but it seems pretty basic.  And, let’s not even get started about the piss poor WRs.  I’m scared we’re going to ruin our franchise QB.  

You Dont RUIN QBs. 

They are going all in on the build around a young QB strategy, and they are doing it right IMO.  This year will be painful, but future years should reap benefits from this year's pain.  A lot of the future hinges on Josh of course.  

Here is a good read on how the Cowboys did it all wrong and have not been able to spend around Dak.... http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24653201/how-dallas-cowboys-wasting-dak-prescott-rookie-deal-salary-cap-nfl-2018  We do not want to be them!  

McBeane has been making moves that clearly line up with this strategy, we are essentially only starting year two.  Next year we should start to see evidence of the next phase- building out and spending around our developing young QB.  Those who say that coaching/management are clueless... I think it is just too early to say that.  

Patience...  If Allen works out, then I believe we will be contending for many years to come.  

I just find it hard to believe Terry and Kim signed off on a total "rip it down to the ground" rebuild plan.   By all counts they agreed to do that with the Sabres and it blew up.  The rebuild was so much harder than anticipated and the stain on the franchise and upset fanbase has been brutal.  They just can't get back to respectability let alone playoffs. Maybe this is the year, who knows.

As for the Bills, they had a playoff team...there's no way that Terry said, OK we finally have a team to be proud of, let's allow ourselves to have the least amount of talent in the league, trade the one proven QB, and be the laughingstock of the NFL.  No way would he agree to that.  Obviously they convinced him Peterman would be a good bridge and that has failed miserably.  and McBeane's defense after 1 game looks like a miserable failure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, Thurman#1 said:

His grade is an INC. And will be so for three or even four years.

Most people out in the "real world" don't get anywhere close to 3 or 4 years to "prove themselves." It's more like 3 or 4 months, if that.

Since professional sports is such a unique career field, I'd allow for more than the standard "3 to 4 months."  But 3 to 4 years!? Nah, no way.

7 hours ago, ALF said:

I want to give  Beane and McD a min of 5 years. Constant changing of systems keeps starting all over.

Losing Richie and Wood set the OL back big time. Daboll needs a game plan that will keep Allen in one piece or bring in another QB till the OL can pass protect.

There's a fine line between "giving them enough time" and going down with the ship. They need to be showing  decent progress in order to stay 5 years IMHO.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

I just find it hard to believe Terry and Kim signed off on a total "rip it down to the ground" rebuild plan.   By all counts they agreed to do that with the Sabres and it blew up.  The rebuild was so much harder than anticipated and the stain on the franchise and upset fanbase has been brutal.  They just can't get back to respectability let alone playoffs. Maybe this is the year, who knows.

As for the Bills, they had a playoff team...there's no way that Terry said, OK we finally have a team to be proud of, let's allow ourselves to have the least amount of talent in the league, trade the one proven QB, and be the laughingstock of the NFL.  No way would he agree to that.  Obviously they convinced him Peterman would be a good bridge and that has failed miserably.  and McBeane's defense after 1 game looks like a miserable failure.

One game.  When McD and Beane came in from all acocounts they told Terry they have a plan but it was going to require time.