McBeane's Gambit

Batman1876

Just now, Fadingpain said:

A lot of that is from a bygone era, when Ralph Wilson owned the team.

You can't compare that to the Pegula era, at least as far as being cheap or not wanting to spend $$$ is concerned.

I absolutely can when the Bills have done the very same thing under the Pegulas as they did under Wilson.  Pegula bought the team in 2013.  All of the players on that list who were signed/drafted in and after 2011 were sent packing under Pegula's ownership ... and don't forget that Pegula was so impressed with Russ Brandon, the head honcho of the Bills since 2006,  that he gave him control of the Sabres as well.

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I absolutely can when the Bills have done the very same thing under the Pegulas as they did under Wilson.  Pegula bought the team in 2013.  All of the players on that list who were signed/drafted in and after 2011 were sent packing under Pegula's ownership ... and don't forget that Pegula was so impressed with Russ Brandon, the head honcho of the Bills since 2006,  that he gave him control of the Sabres as well.

So you disagree with the McBeane approach. That’s a reasonable opinion. I’m curious if you keep all the guys they inherited how do you build for the future? Or do you think they had a championship roster that just needed to be used better. 

Edited by Batman1876

5 hours ago, donbb said:

Are we going to trust the regime that has signed FA duds such as Bodine, Star, Murphy, Davis, Gaines, Newhouse, and Kerley to spend all that FA money? That's a scary thought to me. 

The sad part is that they thought they could "coach them up" and maximize the value if they bought into "the process." It's a risk that doesn't look to pay off at this point. Maybe Murphy, Gaines, and Kerley pay off sometime this year. Star and Newhouse won't pay off. Bodine could if they move Groy to G and Ducasse to the bench. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The other thing that people seem to be overlooking is the roster/cap situation of the team that Beane inherited.  They were very top heavy as Whaley heavily invested a lot of money in starters, and never had to pay a QB a big contract.  As a result guys like Marcel Dareus, Cordy Glenn, Jerry Hughes, and Charles Clay all had huge deals.  Behind them was very little depth.  The "win now" mentality of Whaley would go on to hurt this team.  Rather than try to emulate his cap strategy, Beane had different ideas.  I give him credit.  The Bills needed to fumigate the stink left from Whaley and Buddance Nix

The Bills still aren't paying a QB a big contract due to the rookie wage scale, there is less depth than before, and we don't have starting caliber players.  This notion that Beane inherited cap hell and had NO other choice but to blow the whole thing up simply is not true.

You do realize that we will need to field a roster at some point and Beane will have to pay some star players, right? Hopefully they'll be star talent and not just some guys named Star.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The Bills still aren't paying a QB a big contract due to the rookie wage scale, there is less depth than before, and we don't have starting caliber players.  This notion that Beane inherited cap hell and had NO other choice but to blow the whole thing up simply is not true.

You do realize that we will need to field a roster at some point and Beane will have to pay some star players, right? Hopefully they'll be star talent and not just some guys named Star.

Right...absolutely.  But for you to say that the team was not “top heavy” under Whaley is just not accurate.  Because it was.  The problem was the top guys weren’t players that Beane and McDermott thought were worthy of that type of investment.  Either way the jury is still out.  

16 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

So you disagree with the McBeane approach. That’s a reasonable opinion. I’m curious if you keep all the guys they inherited how do you build for the future? Or do you think they had a championship roster that just needed to be used better. 

If you have a house that needs a new roof and a new front porch but is otherwise sound, do you tear it down or do you fix what needs fixing because your budget is limited?  Apparently, McDermott and Beane would tear down the house and live in an old RV in the driveway while waiting to win the lottery after spending the repair budget on the RV and lottery tix.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yet just about EVERY team those guys went to were contending for the Super Bowl. 

Strange. A Super Bowl contending team thought those guys were good enough to trade for, but McBeane seem to think they are smarter than everyone else didn't want to deal with them. 

The jury isn't out. 

Rrrrrrright because those players singlehandedly made a difference.  It had nothing to do with the players around them?

More romanticizing about the the past.  Some Bills fans are very good at it - ScottLaw is one of the best 

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If you have a house that needs a new roof and a new front porch but is otherwise sound, do you tear it down or do you fix what needs fixing because your budget is limited?  Apparently, McDermott and Beane would tear down the house and live in an old RV in the driveway while waiting to win the lottery after spending the repair budget on the RV and lottery tix.

Nice try.  It’s more complicated than that.  Some Bills fans love drama....and romanticizing the past 

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Why are we making excuses for the guys that turned us into the worst team in the league. 

Well, it’s not like they broke the longest playoff drought in professional sports or anything....

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It wasn’t the roof or porch that needed replaced it was the foundation. If you build on a faulty foundation you waste your efforts. But I mean specifically what would you have preferred they did?

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Why are we making excuses for the guys that turned us into the worst team in the league. 

What excuse is being made?

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yet just about EVERY team those guys went to were contending for the Super Bowl. 

Strange. A Super Bowl contending team thought those guys were good enough to trade for, but McBeane seem to think they are smarter than everyone else didn't want to deal with them. 

The jury isn't out. 

The Rams chose not to keep Sammy

The Jags and Eagles were making championship pushes so hoped the players would help. Neither will be on their rosters next year.

The bengals and Browns are not Super Bowl contenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Well, it’s not like they broke the longest playoff drought in professional sports or anything....

McDermott did. He's a great coach most weeks. Can we stop combining the 2? McD apparently drafted Tre got Poyer and Hyde. Beane just obliterated that. I was ecstatic to have a playoff team going into the next year until we just had a nightmare of an off-season. Beane's like "CAN'T BUILD OFF A PLAYOFF TEAM I'M NOT DONE WRECKING THIS ROSTER WITH MY GUYS." and whoever the hell is in love with Peterman might be the dumbest personnell guy in the league.. I'm longing for Tuel for Christ sake

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

"Murph" was possibly the worst pickup of all. Good ole "Murph" strikes me as the kind of guy who'd like to have a beer with the opposing QB after the game to chat about interest rates. If you're not sure about the QB situation, you damn well better have edge rushers because no defense can excel without them. Gotta be a top priority going forward.

MY EXTREME bad - thot we were talking Murphy the RB not Murphy the DE.....in that case I digress, based on one game he DID not look good at all.  Murph the RB looked good to me but obviously I wasn't clued into the right Murph to which statement I replied too, My bad.  I DO stand corrected.  I still stand by my original statement - one game doesn't define a team.

Sage words told to me awhile back;

You are never as bad as you look in a beatdown or

As good as you look in a Blowout......

@Hapless Bills Fan - I do stand corrected......

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The entire league is laughing at the Bills.

Peterman as starter is incredible. No other team would even attempt to do it. It is really saying something.

I want to see how bad this can really get while people are still grasping for reasons to like the new GM.

6 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

@Hapless Bills FanMY EXTREME bad - thot we were talking Murphy the RB not Murphy the DE.....in that case I digress, based on one game he DID not look good at all.  Murph the RB looked good to me but obviously I wasn't clued into the right Murph to which statement I replied too, My bad.  I DO stand corrected.  I still stand by my original statement - one game doesn't define a team.

No worries, I went back and looked and it wasn't at all clear which Murphy was being discussed.

You're correct that Murphy RB was a rare bright spot in yesterday's debacle.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No worries, I went back and looked and it wasn't at all clear which Murphy was being discussed.

You're correct that Murphy RB was a rare bright spot in yesterday's debacle.

Murphy and Edmunds. Only guys that showed up to play

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly - we all's need to take a REAL deep breath and realize it was one game.....this crap keeps happening in the next 2-4 weeks then we can all collectively jump off and go over the Falls.....I am not expecting miracles cuz I never expected this team to do well any ways.  If you did you are delusional!!!  And in DENIAL!

Look at the O-Line = CRAPOLA - how?  Wood injury and Richie taking a ride on the crazy train.....whatta ya gonna do?  Teller hopefully will shore up some of the mess - sooner rather than later I hope.

The WR's - again = CRAPOLA - how?  KB - tho he didn't show ANYTHING on Sunday is the only legit player who "hopefully" has something to play for....leading to.......

The QB's - a BIG HOT STEAMING pile of dog do!  Allen is in no way ready for the NFL, Peterman is in some high level meeting and will NEVER translate to the NFL....heck EJ is looking good right now and HE SUX!!!!

The D - wow that was painful to watch....hopefully they turn that train wreck around....

Bottom line - even if you didn't want to admit it - the Bills DO sux the big one, they ARE quite aways from being good and I for one am thinking they are on the right path, eventually....stop living in the past peeps - the past is just that, the past.  Right now all ya can hope for in the future......#1 2019 pick?  Ladies and Genitals - I present the Buffalo Bills.  get used to it - it is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG season ahead.

16 hours ago, donbb said:

Are we going to trust the regime that has signed FA duds such as Bodine, Star, Murphy, Davis, Gaines, Newhouse, and Kerley to spend all that FA money? That's a scary thought to me. 

BINGO!

And here's the rub and the flaw in the nicely laid out strategy by the OP! Trust is 'Show Me' earned by now at OBD! No sane Bills' fan should have ANY confidence in any overall plan, until they see- yes the GM and management can actually assess talent and make the correct choices, when called upon.

We need to see, based on the body of real life, year to year evidence, that this is Billy Beane at the helm- not Mr. Bean!

13 hours ago, Kwai San said:

MY EXTREME bad - thot we were talking Murphy the RB not Murphy the DE.....in that case I digress, based on one game he DID not look good at all.  Murph the RB looked good to me but obviously I wasn't clued into the right Murph to which statement I replied too, My bad.  I DO stand corrected.  I still stand by my original statement - one game doesn't define a team.

Sage words told to me awhile back;

You are never as bad as you look in a beatdown or

As good as you look in a Blowout......

@Hapless Bills Fan - I do stand corrected......

The misunderstanding was on my end. I'm partial to defensive ends and probably a little obsessed with the TRENT signing. Just awful IMO.

Mike looks like a nice player. Pretty sad that he may be the best offseason acquisition, but I digress.

• Like (+1) 1