The defense honestly has me more worried

I think we all expected the offense to struggle maybe not this much but still breaking in a new qb and 3 new starting olinemen...We are absolute garbage with essentially the same guys who where arguably better then the Jaguars defense we played in the playoffs last year...Might be time for McDermott to take over the defensive playcalling from Frazier 

• Like (+1) 1

They didn't fill EJ Gaines spot and it showed. It's almost that simple, they attacked phillip gaines all day. Last year with and without EJ Gaines splits should have told them something. I think we were like 8-2 with gaines and 1 and 5 without him.

Edited by BuffaloSol

I'm not as worried, they can be better then today and with some time it should improve.

No defence is going to do well when the offence doesn't get a 1st down until the 3rd quarter.

Plus, after a few weeks, people may change tehir mind on the Ravens offence and find out they are better then many thought they would be this year.

41 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

They didn't fill EJ Gaines spot and it showed. It's almost that simple, they attacked phillip gaines all day. Last year with and without EJ Gaines splits should have told them something. I think we were like 8-2 with gaines and 1 and 5 without him.

The reason they didn't resign him was you couldn't count on him staying healthy. The rest of the league thought the same thing and no one gave him a decent offer. The Browns finally signed him to a 1 year $4m deal, peanuts for a good player like that. And he immediately got injured. Was inactive today because of injury. Who knows if Davis will be healthy and or good. Philip Gaines was never really good and it showed today. Decent depth but not a starter. They tried with Davis. I'm unsure whether the teams' claims of him still being less than 100% was the reason he didn't play well in camp and was inactive today. Seemed a little fishy but may be true. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I think we all expected the offense to struggle maybe not this much but still breaking in a new qb and 3 new starting olinemen...We are absolute garbage with essentially the same guys who where arguably better then the Jaguars defense we played in the playoffs last year...Might be time for McDermott to take over the defensive playcalling from Frazier 

It’s, to quote a former poster here, “concerning.” But you’re right there is really only one unit on the defense (secondary) that is in any way, sort of, squared away. The D line is a mess. Hughes is not who he used to be. Star looks disinterested. Kyle is old. Shaq is nonexistent. LBs, Edmunds made some splash plays today and Milano played over his head but those two are gonna take a while to develop, if they ever do.

Said this in the zone defense thread but after that first drive, the D produced five three and outs in our next six defensive possessions. Unfortunately two of those three and outs resulted in FGs because we gave them the ball on our doorstep. The O did nothing to help the situation and left our D gassed by mid 2nd quarter. It's why we gave up that third TD to end the half IMO.

For whatever reason we couldn't get a red zone stop to save our lives even though we were great at it last year. Bet McD gets that fixed. Our offense is a much bigger concern IMO.

Edited by VW82