Week 2: Chargers Game Preparation - Beautiful Day for Football!

26CornerBlitz

No Nathan Peterman? No problem, as Chargers prepare for rookie Josh Allen

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- After recording five interceptions against Nathan Peterman last year, you could understand why the Los Angeles Chargers' defense looked forward to another opportunity to face the University of Pittsburgh product, right?

Wrong, according to Chargers linebacker Denzel Perryman.

"It doesn't matter who they've got back there," Perryman said of the Buffalo Bills. "It's another week, another team. I get to redeem myself from last week and try to go 1-0 this week."

Instead, the Chargers have to contain an athletic quarterback with mobility in rookie first-round draft pick Josh Allen, who is making his first NFL start. Bills head coach Sean McDermott announced this week that Allen will get the nod over Peterman.

Four early working theories heading into Week 2

It's not too early to say that ... the Bills royally messed up their quarterback room

On Sept. 1, the Bills traded AJ McCarron to the Raiders. The move happened on the same day the Raiders sent Khalil Mack to the Bears, so a relatively minor transaction involving a backup quarterback barely moved the needle. But even in the moment, it seemed like a curious move by the Bills. Buffalo had signed McCarron in March and drafted Josh Allen a month later. The generally-held understanding was that Allen was a raw prospect who would greatly benefit from a redshirt year -- or something close to it. With McCarron and Nathan Peterman on the roster, Buffalo would be able to protect and groom their prized first-round pick during his rookie season.

But the decision to trade McCarron changed the dynamic. Suddenly, there was a lot of pressure on Nathan Peterman to be competent ... and Nathan Peterman had already showed signs that competency wasn't really his thing. Sure enough, Peterman cratered against the Ravens last Sunday. (Going forward, a 0.0 passer rating will be called a Peterman.) After the 47-3 loss, coach Sean McDermott -- clearly backed into a corner -- announced that Allen would start in Week 2 against the Chargers. So much for the rookie cocoon of security. McDermott told the media this week he'd go to his grave feeling it was the right decision to start Peterman. But can he say the same about trading McCarron, the team's only other safety net to protect the kid? None of this feels like it will end well.

Three Matchups to Watch on Defense: Bills vs. Chargers

After looking at the three top matchups to watch on the offensive side of the ball, it’s time to consider the challenges the Bills will face on defense. The Chargers are coming into town with a potent offense featuring a handful of really talented players. Here are my choices for the three most important matchups to keep an eye on:

CB Tre’Davious White vs. WR Keenan Allen
Bills LBs vs. Chargers RBs
Bills DL vs Chargers OL

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Chargers: Preview and predictions

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Whether he’s ready or not, Josh Allen’s NFL career begins in earnest Sunday afternoon at sold-out New Era Field.

Bills coach Sean McDermott made the obvious decision this week to bench Nathan Peterman in favor of the No. 7 overall draft pick, and while it’s not ideal given that Allen probably isn’t going to be fully functional at this stage, it’s — as McDermott said over and over and over again — the “right move.”

Here’s my preview of the game:

Three ...

1. Can the Bills get their running game established?
2. Will Allen be overwhelmed by the moment?
3. Is the Bills defense as porous as it looked in Baltimore?

MY PICK: Chargers 24, Bills 10.

Around the NFL: Bills-Chargers game predictions

DnJ1nWEVAAEon9W.jpg

Top 5 reasons to get excited for Buffalo's home opener

DnJjiizU4AA450_.jpg

5. Back by popular demand
It’s happening, Bills fans. SJ13 is coming home. 

4. Hometown Heroes Ceremony
3. Familiar foe, fresh faces
2. Edmunds earning his stripes
1. One Heart. Beat Louder.

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Why do I get the feeling that the Bills are going to start Allen, only to revert to a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" strategy? 

Because that is who their coach is. Innovation by going back to 1960s football

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Sad 1

Joe B: 5 things to watch for in Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Chargers (9/15/18)

(WKBW) - After a lackluster debut to the 2018 regular season, the Buffalo Bills will return to the field on Sunday for their first home game -- and a pretty significant one at that. When the Bills line up against the Los Angeles Chargers, it will be the first start for the rookie quarterback and seventh-overall selection Josh Allen.

Now with the 47-3 debacle in Baltimore in their past, what might we see in the Bills' upcoming matchup with the Chargers?

Five things to watch for:

1) Josh Allen's debut
2) Kerley's gone, now what?
3) Key to Bills pass rush vs. Chargers: attack the guards
4) Cornerback shakeup?
5) A good Dawkins gauge

Injury Report

Buffalo
OUT: DE Shaq Lawson (hamstring), CB Taron Johnson (shoulder)
QUESTIONABLE: WR Ray-Ray McCloud (knee)

L.A. Chargers
OUT: T Joe Barksdale (knee), DE Joey Bosa (foot), CB Craig Mager (hamstring)
QUESTIONABLE: WR Travis Benjamin (foot)

Prediction: Chargers over Bills
- While I think that the Bills are going to show up a lot more than they did in Week One -- and really, how couldn't they with how poorly they showed in Baltimore -- I cannot pick the Bills to win until they show legitimate improvement in several areas. The offense needs to show some signs of life, in which Josh Allen could provide a spark, and the pass rush needs to show that they can get to the quarterback. As for this matchup, I think Phillip Rivers still has a lot of game to him, and Keenan Allen has all the potential to dominate the game. Playing at home will undoubtedly be a benefit for the Bills on Sunday, but the Chargers are still an incredibly talented group that has the potential to win this game by double digits.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 2: Chargers Game Preparation - Beautiful Day for Football!