Things you liked, didn't like and wonder about

Max Fischer

This game was a disaster but did have a few things I "liked" (or didn't hate):

• Josh Allen - With the game already over a lot of pressure was off.  However, it was still his first game and I thought he did well under the circumstances.  Not ready to say he is "ready" but I would feel comfortable starting him Game #2.  
  • The Punter - Other than THAT play and a shank that still went 35+ yards, this kid is a keeper. 
  • Tre Edmunds - Wow, I didn't expect him to do so well.  Yes, a few plays here and there didn't go well, but he's seems to have much more confidence than in the preseason. 
  • Milano - Same. They seemed to say, "Screw it, stop thinking and start hitting." 
  • Murphy - He runs hard, some nice returns. 
  • Croom - He seems to get open, hard to cover.  Unlike what's his name. 
  • Dawkins - Not a great game but solid.  I don't really care about the penalty. 

Didn't like - or more, disappointed. 

In particular: 

• OL - Much worse than I even imagined.  Not even sure where to begin.  
  • Inactives - Vontae is average but I don't understand how you sit him.  
  • Gaines - Holy crap he's terrible 
  • Star - Invisible
  • Benjamin - Dude plays small and like he doesn't care. 
  • Peterman - I didn't expect much but it's clear defenses don't fear him - at all.  

• Like (+1) 2

Edmunds for a 20 year old rookie MLB on the road against the Ravens played great. He missed some tackles he needs to make. He took himself out of a few. But he really played well overall. There was a stretch in the middle of the game when on four consecutive plays I think he had a sack, a pass defensed, a tackle for loss and a forced fumble. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Edmunds for a 20 year old rookie MLB on the road against the Ravens played great. He missed some tackles he needs to make. He took himself out of a few. But he really played well overall. There was a stretch in the middle of the game when on four consecutive plays I think he had a sack, a pass defensed, a tackle for loss and a forced fumble. 

Agreed. Very nice to see him make some splash plays; still needs to get more consistent of course. He’s the least of their worries.

The only positive I saw was Marcus Murphy. The guy should be pushing McCoy for carries at this point. He runs hard and doesn't take plays off. 

Edmunds was okay. He was out of position several times in coverage but is clearly a freak athlete. He needs a lot more experience. 

Allen didn't do it for me. He's got a huge arm, but when his first read isn't open and there's pressure he folds up and walked into at least 2 sacks. He's talented, but he's not ready for prime time. He's obviously going to play next week, but I expect the next two games to both be complete train wrecks. 

Everything else was a disaster. Offensive line can't block, McCoy looked completely disinterested, the defensive line was dominated and we still have zero pass rush, linebackers lack experience and our secondary can't cover for 4+ seconds. 

This is a terrible football team and we're going to be in serious contention for the #1 overall pick. I think we're starting at least 0-4 and it's hard to see more than 3 or 4 winnable games on the schedule. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, StrikeParry said:

I think you’re thinking of Taron. Who played well! And then got hurt.

That's probably right.  Really wishing EJ Gaines would have worked out.  Probably will need to address CB (again) in the offseason since neither Gaines or Davis appears to be the answer, at least at this early juncture.

Special Teams did well on returns and coverage.

Defense was actually better against the run early in the game.

Edmunds might be good.  

OL sucked.  As expected.Peterman was terrible.  As expected.

Secondary was terrible.  Receivers open all day long.

Allen throws well on the run.  I wonder what he could do if we had an NFL caliber OL.