Breaking News

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See...this is what kills me:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21349374.htm

The Schindlers believe their daughter responds to them and her condition could improve with treatment. Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist, a surgeon and Senate majority leader, has viewed videotapes and agrees.

1) She hasn't improved in 15 Years with treatment!

2) Frist, you're a surgeon, not a neurologist!

From the article

"Their eyes are open and moving about during the periods of wakefulness that alternate with periods of sleep; there may be spontaneous movements of the arms and legs, and at times these patients appear to smile, grimace, laugh, utter guttural sounds, groan and moan, and manifest other facial expressions and sounds that appear to reflect cognitive functions and emotions, especially in the eyes of the family."

"Sadly, these actions often appear meaningful to hopeful families but are all automatic reflexes -- not movements with a purpose," it reads.

"There are no confirmed reports of anyone fully recovering from a permanent vegetative state lasting more than three months."

From the article

"Their eyes are open and moving about during the periods of wakefulness that alternate with periods of sleep; there may be spontaneous movements of the arms and legs, and at times these patients appear to smile, grimace, laugh, utter guttural sounds, groan and moan, and manifest other facial expressions and sounds that appear to reflect cognitive functions and emotions, especially in the eyes of the family."

"Sadly, these actions often appear meaningful to hopeful families but are all automatic reflexes -- not movements with a purpose," it reads.

"There are no confirmed reports of anyone fully recovering from a permanent vegetative state lasting more than three months."

282357[/snapback]

exactly, not to sound like an ass, but all the things she has done are things the body does automatically, and can be basically accomplished with the brainstem...

i believe in miracles, but its been 15 years for her, so c'mon, let her go on to a better place...

exactly, not to sound like an ass, but all the things she has done are things the body does automatically, and can be basically accomplished with the brainstem...

i believe in miracles, but its been 15 years for her, so c'mon, let her go on to a better place...

282372[/snapback]

Hawaii?

My understanding is that the "real" limit is 12 months (per some reading: http://www.transamericareinsurance.com/ass...ticle.asp?Id=58 ), but it is certainly less than 15 years.

Says a lot about the care she was given by the neglectful husband that she has lasted past the high end of 10 years of life that PVS patients are expected to survive.

Really? I think it's a pretty easy question. The crux of your argument is that this woman is unable to feed herself, therefore she should be allowed to starve to death. Well, retarded peopel can't feed themselves. So should families that have retarded individuals in the family tree be allowed to starve their retarded realatives to death?

Answer the question. Impart your wisdom upon us, the ignorami.  :D

281713[/snapback]

I never said she should be starved to death or shouldn't. IN case you missed it the first ten times I've posted about this topic, including the thread I started, I want the government out of a personal PRIVATE issue.

Me too. I'm amazed at how this issue is reversed. It doesn't make sense to me.

282209[/snapback]

It's not really reversed if you look at where the basis of the congress action lies. It is about right to life. If you are going to fight for a fetus then you have to fight for someone in her condition.

You mean when the Democrats tried to rewrite the Florida election laws on the fly and after the fact in an effort to steal the Presidency?

Yeah....a little.

281875[/snapback]

Not surprising in the least that you missed the connection between the Frist quote and the majority opinion of the Supreme court in Florida 2000, which once and for all destroyed the myth that conservatives are all for States rights by announcing that their reasoning was "limited only to the present circumstances."

Ah those whacky wingers and there abuses of rights, privacy and the Constitution.

If anyone's local turn on WBEN 930 AM right now and listen to Sandy Beach go off on Bush and the congress. For a hard core dyed in the wool conservative like Beach it is refreshing to hear him break from his usual bias.

282372[/snapback]

What eats at me is that for her to "get to a better place" as you say, the only legal avenue is to starve her to death.

I'm just repeating what the media has to say.

But regardless, in my eyes, the dude split on his vegitative wife and started another family. If he was so concerned about the quality of his wife's life or death, why did he leave her? He wants the best of both worlds and he should not get them simply because he couldn't come up with a way to divorce or kill his wife.

Edit: You can't really, possibly think we 'have an agenda,' do you? You're still pissy over that cigarette law, aren't you... :lol:

282308[/snapback]

And that's not like other people? Did Rudy G split on his breast cancer stricken wife? What about that scum-bag Switzer or was that Jimmy Johnson?

Let karma take over... It is a real b*tch! Why worry about the guy if he is being a scum-bag?

Again, my heart feels for Terry... My heart tells me she should live. When is it gonna be time to let it go? Just because somebody elses life is dead or in a vegataive state... Doesn't mean yours has to?

From what I heard is that the money is gone... He does want to move on and MAYBE really honor her wishes.

Who is paying for her care? Is the taxpayer picking up the tab? Are my health premiums gonna go up? Then why the contradictory republican stance? Like Losman-MaGahee-Evans pointed out... How to explain the right to terminate life (signed by Bush) for failure to pay?

Everybody wants the best of both words... Look inward LA, seems pretty apparent with every post you make!

:D

What eats at me is that for her to "get to a better place" as you say, the only legal avenue is to starve her to death.

282555[/snapback]

I agree.

It is truly sad.

There has got to be a better way to go? Yet, that leads down the assisted suicide route and opens up a whole 'nother can of worms?

Let's say this again:

"Removal of the feeding tube [for people in a PVS] results in a very peaceful death." -- Dr. Tim Johnson.

This is not like starvation for you or me. It will not physically hurt.

282607[/snapback]

Because Doctors are never wrong. :lol:

Because Doctors are never wrong.  :lol:

282609[/snapback]

I undersatnd your point. Yet, there has to be a time when you have to take their advice and trust what they are talking about. Without that, nothing would ever get done, problems wouldn't be solved and we wouldn't move on.

I understand that you AD probably would support the husband? If you don't, being such a practical person, don't you see this stalemate as being a roadblock to solving problems raised by people in these vegatative states with zero chance of recovery. Do you see the burden on an already burdened health care system.

Something has to be done... Keeping her alive is maintaining the staus quo.

Is there anywhere in this thread or elsewhere a statement of what it's cost to keep this poor soul "alive"?

I know that there was a malpractice settlement but after 15 years I'd suspect it's almost depleted. Or did the settlement include keeping her alive ad infinitem?