Breaking News

A couple of resources I found to be enlightening:

A timeline of events: http://www.miami.edu/ethics2/schiavo/timeline.htm

A report given to Gov. Bush: http://jb-williams.com/ts-report-12-03.htm

Many tid-bits not discussed here or mis-stated:

-- Terri's parents petitioned to have Schiavo removed as guardian in 1993. The GAL's findings were that "His demanding concern for her well being and meticulous care by the nursing home earned him the characterization by the administrator as 'a nursing home administrator's nightmare'." (Hardly "ignoring her.").

--Many top doctors have reviewed the case. This isn't a "his word" vs. "their word" case. There has been no evidence that Terri has shown any neural activity beyond reflex response, and there's no evidence to suggest that any treatment can improve her condition.

--Terri's family encouraged Schiavo to move on and to date, this encouragement happening before the rift that started appearing after the lawsuit was settled.

--Pusuant to his request to have the feeding tube removed, a second GAL was appointed. It was this GAL who hinted that Schiavo might have financial motivations behind the move, but this GAL failed to note that Schiavo "had earlier, formally offered to divest himself entirely of his financial interest in the guardianship estate."

I think the concluding paragraph of the report says a lot:

"The Schindlers and the Schiavos are normal, decent people who have found themselves within the construct of an exceptional circumstance which none of them, indeed, few reasonable and normal people could have imagined. As a consequence of this circumstance, extensive urban mythology has created toxic clouds, causing the parties and others to behave in ways that may not, in the order of things, serve the best interests of the ward."

I readily suggest reading the report. It's long, but it details the scrutiny that this case has been under from the beginning. These aren't random decisions being made in this case...

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that Florida gets such a horrible rap from the rest of the country. It really shows how out of touch we can be sometimes. Remember Elain? Outside of Miami, everyone wanted to send him back. Now, only here in Tallahassee, and wherever Terri is located, are protesters fighting for her life. The rest of America sees what kind of life she's living, and wants her to rest peacefully.

Why is it that Florida gets such a horrible rap from the rest of the country. It really shows how out of touch we can be sometimes. Remember Elain? Outside of Miami, everyone wanted to send him back. Now, only here in Tallahassee, and wherever Terri is located, are protesters fighting for her life. The rest of America sees what kind of life she's living, and wants her to rest peacefully.

282206[/snapback]

Huh? PLENTY of folks outside of Fla. that felt that Elian Gonzales should have been granted asylum... :D

Huh? PLENTY of folks outside of Fla. that felt that Elian Gonzales should have been granted asylum... :D

282222[/snapback]

Really? you must be the first. Everyone else I've talked too thought we needed to send him back to avoid an international incident. I thought he belonged with his family, and that the Cuban community was playing it up much more than needed.

Really? you must be the first. Everyone else I've talked too thought we needed to send him back to avoid an international incident. I thought he belonged with his family, and that the Cuban community was playing it up much more than needed.

282232[/snapback]

Quite the contrary. It was a holty contested national issue.

I have a newspaper clipping photograph of Dalrymple holding Elian in his arms with one of Clinton's and Reno's storm troopers holding a sub-machine gun in their faces on the day of the capture.

The guy knows his wife is a vegtable and wants to move on.

282062[/snapback]

The guy DID move on. That's the point. He moved on. Twelve years later, he wants back in? Now why would that be? Because NOW he thinks he wife would want to die? He didn't think that way 12 years ago when he was banging the other chick...but NOW he wants a say?

I don't need to walk in his shoes to know they stink. He left when things were bad. Things are still bad, except now he wants her to die? And why is that again? Because now, after 12 years, it seems like the right thing to do?

Sounds to me like he's out of money and any guy who would leave his vegetable wife to start another family with another woman should get ZERO say in what happens to her.

The guy DID move on. That's the point. He moved on. Twelve years later, he wants back in? Now why would that be? Because NOW he thinks he wife would want to die? He didn't think that way 12 years ago when he was banging the other chick...but NOW he wants a say?

Sounds to me like he's out of money and any guy who would leave his vegetable wife to start another family with another woman should get ZERO say in what happens to her.

282260[/snapback]

First off, this has been going on in courts for 7 years, so it didnt just come up. And two, he stands to inherit zero money from this, so $$ is not his motive.

Yes he has moved, and has 2 kids with his new lover, but he is still married to Schiavo by his choice (he could get a divorce if he wanted, but doesnt)

Gotta get your facts straight if you're going to make an argument.

First off, this has been going on in courts for 7 years, so it didnt just come up. And two, he stands to inherit zero money from this, so $$ is not his motive.

Yes he has moved, and has 2 kids with his new lover, but he is still married to Schiavo by his choice (he could get a divorce if he wanted, but doesnt)

282268[/snapback]

Oh, and by the way, it was Terri's family who told him to "move on," even as they were getting along and providing cooperative care...

282268[/snapback]

Thank you!

People are trying to push their agenda by trying to make him look like a money grubbing a-hole...which he's not by reading the facts.

Thank you!

People are trying to push their agenda by trying to make him look like a money grubbing a-hole...which he's not by reading the facts.

282297[/snapback]

It's easy to make him out to be a villain, after all, he is trying to kill someone. Leave out the facts, and instant villain. Factor in the court costs, a 7 year battle, zero inheritance, and the fact the he visits her everyday... not so much of a villain.

Thank you!

282297[/snapback]

I'm just repeating what the media has to say.

But regardless, in my eyes, the dude split on his vegitative wife and started another family. If he was so concerned about the quality of his wife's life or death, why did he leave her? He wants the best of both worlds and he should not get them simply because he couldn't come up with a way to divorce or kill his wife.

Edit: You can't really, possibly think we 'have an agenda,' do you? You're still pissy over that cigarette law, aren't you... :D

I'm just repeating what the media has to say.

But regardless, in my eyes, the dude split on his vegitative wife and started another family. If he was so concerned about the quality of his wife's life or death, why did he leave her? He wants the best of both worlds and he should not get them simply because he couldn't come up with a way to divorce or kill his wife.

Edit: You can't really, possibly think we 'have an agenda,' do you? You're still pissy over that cigarette law, aren't you... :D

282308[/snapback]

LA, a bunch has been coming out recently. I thought he was the bad guy, but I've changed my mind.