[Vague Title] The Sky Is Not Falling

You must new around here, otherwise you would know 2 things:

1. Sky is always falling after a bad game.  Nothing before it matters, nothing positive anyone ever believed matters anymore.  The only reality is the one lone game is now the absolute truth no matter what and we are the worst team in football.  Forget everything positive you have ever believed prior to that kickoff, its now erased forever because of a bad showing in the most recent game.
  2. We are being disrespected by the media if we are not anointed the next kings after a good game because clearly we are now the best team in football if the team shows well.  Doesn't matter the quality of opponent, doesn't matter who they were missing, doesn't matter how we have played before.  But we are now totally disrespected and the media hates us if we are not ranked in the top 10...and heaven forgive if we win a couple in a row and aren't in the top 5.  

17 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Ahh that GB game in 2014 was a thing of beauty! We just dominated a premier team with a great qb. Like all of us, I'm hoping we return to that level REAL fast.

AMMO huh? Well its good that you enjoy the work. I was in the AF in the ancient times, '68-'72. But looking back, I sure got a lot out of those 4 yrs. Didn't think much

about it during those years, but with age, comes A LOT of wisdom. Did a of of travelling on vacation time, Hawaii, Japan, So Cal, England & Holland. The 4 yrs helped

me to grow up, and I needed it.  Anyway, you made a great post about the current situation about our Bills. FWIW, any time you want to talk about the AF, you know

where you can find me. Good luck to you, sounds like you're doing really well, and lets hope the Bills get some of these wrinkles ironed out & win a lot of ball games.

Take care.

Thank you, I appreciate all of it! And here's to hoping we can get some of that 2014 magic back in this defense. 

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You must new around here, otherwise you would know 2 things:

1. Sky is always falling after a bad game.  Nothing before it matters, nothing positive anyone ever believed matters anymore.  The only reality is the one lone game is now the absolute truth no matter what and we are the worst team in football.  Forget everything positive you have ever believed prior to that kickoff, its now erased forever because of a bad showing in the most recent game.
  2. We are being disrespected by the media if we are not anointed the next kings after a good game because clearly we are now the best team in football if the team shows well.  Doesn't matter the quality of opponent, doesn't matter who they were missing, doesn't matter how we have played before.  But we are now totally disrespected and the media hates us if we are not ranked in the top 10...and heaven forgive if we win a couple in a row and aren't in the top 5.  

I was around the BBMB for years before that went down, and I've been lurking on here ever since, so I've seen what happens after a loss.  I understand your point though, there's always going to be a fallout after bad games among the fans. 

I only thought this post was necessary because I saw some things not being discussed by the media/fans that showed me we aren't necessarily the dumpster fire people think we will be. Now, we could be, who knows. For example, I saw a ton of criticism about the lack of defensive pressure, but nobody talking about how the playcalling was about as vanilla as you could get, and I expect we'll see much more thought involved involved in a real game. Just trying to get some positivity out there with all the Armageddon threads out there. 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:05 AM, SoTier said:

The sky isn't falling because it already fell ... when Eric Wood was forced into retirement by injury and the team was just fine with Richie Incognito retiring, too.   Then, in FA, they let Seantrel Henderson leave before they traded away proven LT Cordy Glenn.  Whatever could have been done to address the OL should have been done months ago in FA and the draft, but as numerous posters have noted, McDermott and Beane chose to go with bottom feeder FAs and a single, later round prospect in the draft.

There are virtually never starter caliber OLers available at the end of preseason.  A team might pick up a young OL prospect who can't make another team's final 53 but teams generally don't sacrifice starting OLers because of the cap so late in the game.  Quality OLers are just too valuable because a team without a decent OL is totally stymied on offense no matter what other stars a team may have on offense.  Most teams GMs/HCs understand this but apparently it's a lesson that McDermott and Beane still have to learn.

Every team only gets to keep 53 men on the roster.  Depending upon the depth at different positions, every team needs to cut a few players it would rather keep.

That will inevitably include some OLmen who can play - not superstars, no, but servicable guys.  Not just young prospects, but veterans who can play, but have been outplayed by young prospects.  Teams can't keep 10 OLmen on the roster even if they want to.   We picked up 2 guys off the scrap heap in 2011 (Urbik and Pears) and our line got better with them.  Not great, but no longer 100% jailbreak.

The questions are whether Beane's pro player scouting staff can identify these guys correctly, and whether Castillo and assistants can coach them up to learn our system quickly.  I do not know the answer to either question, but there isn't some "lesson Beane still has to learn" about OL availability.

20 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Almost every preseason there is a point where a group of fans collectively lose their minds over the Bills performance, then later realize by the end of the first half in game one of the regular season, that preseason doesn't really matter. 

For good or bad, this is true.  A dominating PS defense can look like crap in regular season and a porous D can look better, especially if a couple vets have been sitting it out.

7 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Thank you, I appreciate all of it! And here's to hoping we can get some of that 2014 magic back in this defense. 

I was around the BBMB for years before that went down, and I've been lurking on here ever since, so I've seen what happens after a loss.  I understand your point though, there's always going to be a fallout after bad games among the fans. 

I only thought this post was necessary because I saw some things not being discussed by the media/fans that showed me we aren't necessarily the dumpster fire people think we will be. Now, we could be, who knows. For example, I saw a ton of criticism about the lack of defensive pressure, but nobody talking about how the playcalling was about as vanilla as you could get, and I expect we'll see much more thought involved involved in a real game. Just trying to get some positivity out there with all the Armageddon threads out there. 

You're welcome, Cold Front. And amen to you about getting that 2014 mojo back!      Go Bills.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:43 AM, CodeMonkey said:

The last preseason game is to figure out which of the players on the bubble to keep, and which ones to get rid of.  Not much more.  If they haven't figured it out by now, they won't by week 1.  It's possible they do have it figured out but don't want to tip their hand, but we won't know until the ravens game.  

I'd rather our starters beat that Bengals ass. That means our "hypothesis" is right. Now all we know is **** all. Cool I hope the coordinators know more because their experiments haven't worked a damn

On 8/28/2018 at 11:20 PM, ColdFront_USAF said:

Yeah, I miss that defense. Was a blast watching them fluster and beat Aaron Rodgers. I'm an AMMO guy, I enjoy the work. I get to mess with bombs all day so it's not too bad. Oki is pretty nice too, jus hard to watch games. Monday's are long days. 

i was ammo too. spent most of my time at the home of the tbirds.