Bills Waive Punter Cory Carter with an Injured Designation

55 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Can't the Bills wait for him to clear waivers and then IR him?

31 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yes.

The common mistake is focusing on the "waived" part of the transaction and ignoring the "injured" part. Before explaining what waived/injured means, it's important to understand the difference between waiving a player and releasing a player.

When a non-vested player (someone with less than four years of experience) gets cut, he is subjected to waivers, which gives every team 24 hours to claim him. The player becomes a free agent if he is not claimed on waivers. When a vested veteran is cut (released) in the preseason, he can immediately sign with any team.

In regards to injuries, vested veterans can be put directly on injured reserve without being exposed to waivers. But up until rosters are cut down from 90 to 53 players on Sept. 2, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve.

This measure prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The common mistake is focusing on the "waived" part of the transaction and ignoring the "injured" part. Before explaining what waived/injured means, it's important to understand the difference between waiving a player and releasing a player.

When a non-vested player (someone with less than four years of experience) gets cut, he is subjected to waivers, which gives every team 24 hours to claim him. The player becomes a free agent if he is not claimed on waivers. When a vested veteran is cut (released) in the preseason, he can immediately sign with any team.

In regards to injuries, vested veterans can be put directly on injured reserve without being exposed to waivers. But up until rosters are cut down from 90 to 53 players on Sept. 2, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve.

This measure prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

I thought this is how it worked but I wasn't  100% sure and I didn't want to give out bad information. So I thank you.?

Edited by The Monk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Wish he hadn't gotten injured. He seemed like an intriguing prospect and was spoken well of in the Panthers' game.

Meanwhile this guy Tyler Davis is still on the roster as a placekicker.

I'm giving Davis the nickname "Trifecta" for managing to mis his only field goal attempt, his only extra point attempt, and his only kickoff attempt (kicked it out of bounds for a penalty.  That  was quite a feat.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm giving Davis the nickname "Trifecta" for managing to mis his only field goal attempt, his only extra point attempt, and his only kickoff attempt (kicked it out of bounds for a penalty.  That  was quite a feat.

It might be the only three "points" of his NFL career. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

24 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

"TD Burger Flipper" would work too...he just needs a move to the Washington, D.C. area.