Do You Give any Credibility to the Late Night Talking Heads?

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Samantha Bee.  She is beyond horrid and her intentions are obvious even if she believes otherwise.

I saw one of her shows once by accident.   I'm not surprised no one mentioned her.   

• Like (+1) 1

John Oliver is the best example of what happened to these guys.  I thought his show was genuinely funny pre-Trump, even if his one-side takes were not always on point, he at least talked about a wide variety of issues from across the world, many of which were not overtly political.  Then, like the rest of the media moths drawn to the light, started obsessing over Trump during the campaign, morphed into full on Dem campaigning, and then was overwhelmed with TDS after the shocking election night results.   And now it's all anti-Trump, all the time.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

10 hours ago, stony said:

Laughing about titties and drinking beer is a bit different than Weinstein or Lauer raping ya, no?

Some feel that titty talk and drinking beer is not far removed from being raped.  Not me but I would imagine a considerable number of the me too movement.  Just trying to figure out the mental gymnastics they use to move a guy that they considered offensive over to the "at least he serves our purpose" column.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm surprised.  If there were late night comedy in the former Soviet Union she would be the very willing official state comedian.

Calling her a comedian is a stretch.   She's never made me laugh.   

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Calling her a comedian is a stretch.   She's never made me laugh.   

This would be in context of what the former Soviet Union was.  People appointed to positions solely due to their allegiance rather than any real ability.  

12 hours ago, stony said:

Laughing about titties and drinking beer is a bit different than Weinstein or Lauer raping ya, no?

Not really. Both subjugate women and promote the idea of assertive male dominance.

They're a part of #rapeculture and whatnot and if Jimmy Kimmel was voicing a different opinion than he would be facing a rapture. Similarly, Al Franken did little more than Kimmel has done and look how he is praised.  Similarly, Howard Stern gets vilified and he and Kimmel have the same background and beliefs.

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Not really. Both subjugate women and promote the idea of assertive male dominance.

They're a part of #rapeculture and whatnot and if Jimmy Kimmel was voicing a different opinion than he would be facing a rapture. Similarly, Al Franken did little more than Kimmel has done and look how he is praised.  Similarly, Howard Stern gets vilified and he and Kimmel have the same background and beliefs.

Al is being praised? 

people let powerful or cool people do whatever they want to them, see it every day in the big city, shake my head...

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Al is being praised? 

people let powerful or cool people do whatever they want to them, see it every day in the big city, shake my head...

Of course, they do.

But, Trump gets criticized for statements he has made about women when people like Kimmel get a pass for what they've said. Bigots making comments get away with it: Joss Wheaton, Samantha Bee, Kathy Griffin, etc.

Of course, turnabout is fair play: the Dixie Chicks got ruined over their gaffe (but they were already starting to lose steam and suck), Kathy Griffin got roasted, buut was long in the tooth and never had talent anyway.  Cher, the director dude from Guardians of the Galaxy, all these dudes get a pass.

Why is it we saw media rush to run all over statements made 10 years ago to fan flames today but won't touch an actual threat by an actual politician?  Schumer and Waters threatened the President Orange openly on TV, no less. Nothing was said.

I don't care what numbers say, people are tired of the hyperbole. 

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Of course, they do.

But, Trump gets criticized for statements he has made about women when people like Kimmel get a pass for what they've said. Bigots making comments get away with it: Joss Wheaton, Samantha Bee, Kathy Griffin, etc.

Of course, turnabout is fair play: the Dixie Chicks got ruined over their gaffe (but they were already starting to lose steam and suck), Kathy Griffin got roasted, buut was long in the tooth and never had talent anyway.  Cher, the director dude from Guardians of the Galaxy, all these dudes get a pass.

Why is it we saw media rush to run all over statements made 10 years ago to fan flames today but won't touch an actual threat by an actual politician?  Schumer and Waters threatened the President Orange openly on TV, no less. Nothing was said.

I don't care what numbers say, people are tired of the hyperbole. 

oh well, chose your amusement hills to die on carefully, especially as another decade is over....

used to like Jimmy a lot, not at all now.

for a long time the last 25 years, Conan was the ONLY one even remotely trying to be funny, and was to me

38 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

You're partly right on Franken, but he's not celebrated.  Maybe scapegoated.  Conversely, Stern seems to have graduated from the basement to the adult step pretty gracefully.  He's as mainstream as you can get.

14 minutes ago, stony said:

You're partly right on Franken, but he's not celebrated.  Maybe scapegoated.  Conversely, Stern seems to have graduated from the basement to the adult step pretty gracefully.  He's as mainstream as you can get.

the remaining fanbase is the only thing good about Stern any more

keep cashing those cheques everyone....

10 minutes ago, stony said:

Stern is unlistenable Currently, but he is getting his past whitewashed and he's not done anything nearly as gross as most of Hollywood who get forgiven.

54 minutes ago, stony said:

I’d say Al was martyred.  The left was crestfallen over him having to pay the same price they gleefully demand of others for the same offenses.

Edited by KD in CA

Just now, KD in CA said:

I’d say Al was martyred.  The left was crestfallen over him having to pay the same price they gleefully demanded of others for the same offenses.

This is true.  But, it was not without merit. The guy deserved to go for being a hypocrite. Just like the dude from Michigan whose name escape me, wanted his son to take his post but thankfully, that nepotism was avoided 

Some random opinions on the subject:

Dave Letterman wasn't all that funny but he was edgier than Johnny Carson or Dick Cavett and better at it than say Magic Johnson or Chevy Chase.  (God, were those acres wide tire fires.)

I never understood why Jon Stewart left the Daily Show or why Stephen Colbert thought playing himself would be funnier.  

Howard Stern's run ended twenty years ago before the internet desensitized his listening audience and before he had to be a dad to his growing teenage daughters.  It's hard to look them in the face after discussing Robin's chest for two hours.  He was at his best in the 90s when people still had an appetite for Morton Downey Jr. and Geraldo and before you could spend hours *seeing* what somebody like Stormy Daniels actually does for a living after he interviews her.  

The late night model took a hit when television producers tried turning it into a daytime model.  They replaced all the game shows with morning talk shows featuring celebrities that weren't all that endearing (Rosie O'Donnell, Martin Short) or complete nobodys (Wayne Brady). 

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Some random opinions on the subject:

Dave Letterman wasn't all that funny but he was edgier than Johnny Carson or Dick Cavett and better at it than say Magic Johnson or Chevy Chase.  (God, were those acres wide tire fires.)

I never understood why Jon Stewart left the Daily Show or why Stephen Colbert thought playing himself would be funnier.  

Howard Stern's run ended twenty years ago before the internet desensitized his listening audience and before he had to be a dad to his growing teenage daughters.  It's hard to look them in the face after discussing Robin's chest for two hours.  He was at his best in the 90s when people still had an appetite for Morton Downey Jr. and Geraldo and before you could spend hours *seeing* what somebody like Stormy Daniels actually does for a living after he interviews her.  

The late night model took a hit when television producers tried turning it into a daytime model.  They replaced all the game shows with morning talk shows featuring celebrities that weren't all that endearing (Rosie O'Donnell, Martin Short) or complete nobodys (Wayne Brady). 

CBS bucks > Comedy Central bucks.

Stewart was good.  I believe he said he was just burned out after a long run.