Darnold and Allen , offsets and no offsets

Just a question to those who know more about this than me.  Darnold is holding out because he  reportedly wants no offset language in his contract. Allen signed already, he accepted offset language in his contract. Obviously teams want offset provision, players (or agents) don't. Both Allen and Darnold have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton.  Is this a case of  the agent treating the two teams differently, or just Darnold being really stubborn?

4 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

Just a question to those who know more about this than me.  Darnold is holding out because he  reportedly wants no offset language in his contract. Allen signed already, he accepted offset language in his contract. Obviously teams want offset provision, players (or agents) don't. Both Allen and Darnold have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton.  Is this a case of  the agent treating the two teams differently, or just Darnold being really stubborn?

On the player. Both Allen and Mayfield told their agents they dont want to miss practice over this offset stuff. Darnold not so much willing to hold out over it. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

On the player. Both Allen and Mayfield told their agents they dont want to miss practice over this offset stuff. Darnold not so much willing to hold out over it. 

I wonder if it’s because Darnold knows he’s redshirting regardless behind Mccown? Mayfield is supposed redshirt too but it’s not his style to concede that esp to a guy like Tyrod. Bills were clear josh had a chance to win the job so he probably wanted to get in as soon as he could. Darnold seems to lack “fire” to me when I watch him play, jmo

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if it’s because Darnold knows he’s redshirting regardless behind Mccown? Mayfield is supposed redshirt too but it’s not his style to concede that esp to a guy like Tyrod. Bills were clear josh had a chance to win the job so he probably wanted to get in as soon as he could. Darnold seems to lack “fire” to me when I watch him play, jmo

Think it more has to to with past USC QB sucess (or lack there of). Also add into what Jets gave up to get him (think they have leverage). And add the inability of the hets to develop a QB. 

Either way Darnold only hurting himself over language thay is never going to actually be used. No team is gonna cut a QB taken in the top 5 before year 4. 

Jet fans blamin Sexton. However the Agent works for the player. Not the other way around. 

Edited by MAJBobby

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Allen said he told his camp that he didn’t want to miss any practice so do what you have to do. Mayfield said the same.

...guess I missed the memo.....his contract is 100% guaranteed.....if cut, offset lessens what Bflo has to pay if he signs somewhere....he STILL gets paid, so what am I missing??...

Offset language relates to what happens to a player’s salary if he’s cut during the first four years of his career, while he’s still playing on his rookie contract. For the top 15 to 20 picks in the draft, those four-year salaries will be fully guaranteed, even if a player is waived at some point during those four seasons. For example, if a player has $4MM in guaranteed money remaining on his contract and is cut, he’ll still be owed that $4MM.

However, if a team has written offset language into the contract, that club can save some money if and when the player signs with a new team. For example, if that player who had $4MM in guaranteed money left on his contract signs with a new club on a $1MM deal, his old team would only be on the hook for $3MM, with the new team making up the difference. If there’s no offset language on that first deal, the old team would continue to be on the hook for the full $4MM, and the player would simply earn an additional $1MM from his new club.

Although the negotiation of offset language might potentially delay a rookie’s signing, the offsets rarely come into play, since few top picks flame out badly enough that they’re released during their first four seasons. And even in those rare instances, if a player has performed poorly enough to be cut in his first few years, he likely won’t sign a lucrative deal elsewhere, so offset language wouldn’t help his old club recover more than perhaps the league minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

I think holding out for offsets when you are the 3rd overall pick is a little ridiculous...the chances of them cutting you before the end of your rookie contract as a QB especially are almost none.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Makes plenty of sense.  Why a player, any player, would care about offset language is beyond me.  Maybe someone out there can explain.  The only thing I  can fathom is they want to hamstring their original team if they are cut.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...guess I missed the memo.....his contract is 100% guaranteed.....if cut, offset lessens what Bflo has to pay if he signs somewhere....he STILL gets paid, so what am I missing??...

Offset language relates to what happens to a player’s salary if he’s cut during the first four years of his career, while he’s still playing on his rookie contract. For the top 15 to 20 picks in the draft, those four-year salaries will be fully guaranteed, even if a player is waived at some point during those four seasons. For example, if a player has $4MM in guaranteed money remaining on his contract and is cut, he’ll still be owed that $4MM.

However, if a team has written offset language into the contract, that club can save some money if and when the player signs with a new team. For example, if that player who had $4MM in guaranteed money left on his contract signs with a new club on a $1MM deal, his old team would only be on the hook for $3MM, with the new team making up the difference. If there’s no offset language on that first deal, the old team would continue to be on the hook for the full $4MM, and the player would simply earn an additional $1MM from his new club.

Although the negotiation of offset language might potentially delay a rookie’s signing, the offsets rarely come into play, since few top picks flame out badly enough that they’re released during their first four seasons. And even in those rare instances, if a player has performed poorly enough to be cut in his first few years, he likely won’t sign a lucrative deal elsewhere, so offset language wouldn’t help his old club recover more than perhaps the league minimum.

Offset language hurts the player ability to double dip. 

Using your example No offset and the player has 4M in guarantees when cut he gets that 4M Plus any other Guarantees in knew contract say another 2M. 

Offset language means That 4M in original Guarantees is offset by 2M. Meaning player gets only 4M. 

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Makes plenty of sense.  Why a player, any player, would care about offset language is beyond me.  Maybe someone out there can explain.  The only thing I  can fathom is they want to hamstring their original team if they are cut.

It hurts ability to Double Dip 

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Offset language hurts the player ability to double dip. 

Using your example No offset and the player has 4M in guarantees when cut he gets that 4M Plus any other Guarantees in knew contract say another 2M. 

Offset language means That 4M in original Guarantees is offset by 2M. Meaning player gets only 4M. 

It hurts ability to Double Dip 

...thanks for the explanation......pretty petty.......with the top 10 or so picks getting 100% guaranteed money, if they're THAT worried about getting cut early on and not being able to "double dip" they must really suck...AND..."double dipping" would be GRAND LARCENY for suckitude IMO......R U scared Sam??..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Wow.  I didn't know anything about this issue.   

The fact that Darnold actually cares about this says something about the guy.   That fact alone reflects a character issue that would put off McBeane.   They want guys who have complete confidence in themselves and who are willing to bet their futures on themselves.   That' one thing that I like about Tyrod.   He's all about "just give me a chance to play.  If you don't want to play me, I'll move on."   Tyrod left Baltimore to get to the place where he had the best opportunity to play, he renegotiated his contract twice to be sure he continued to have the best opportunity to play, and he embraced being traded because it gave him the best opportunity to play.   He makes good money compared to you and me, and he simply doesn't let the fact that he might get a better deal get in the way of playing football.  

Holding up his signing over this issue says that Darnold doesn't have complete confidence in himself, that he wants some protection on the downside if things don't go well.  And it says he cares about how much money he's going to get.   From a strictly personal, economic point of view, that makes perfectly a good sense.   From the team's perspective, it says Darnold has his eye on the wrong ball.   Football isn't number 1.  

It's why the Bills probably aren't interested in Dez Bryant, and probably aren't interested in Mack.  If you're not 100% about team football, they aren't interested.   And if you're holding out, or if you're a distraction in some other way, you aren't 100% about team football.   McBeane have been very clear - they want guys whose fundamental personality traits indicate that they're committed to the process.   That's one of the things they liked about Allen.   He's that kind of guy.   And that's why he's signed and Darnold isn't.   To the extent they think about it at all, Darnold not signing is something that reinforces their belief that they got the right guy.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think holding out for offsets when you are the 3rd overall pick is a little ridiculous...the chances of them cutting you before the end of your rookie contract as a QB especially are almost none.

So, what is the big hold up for the Jets, then? 

I see so many post saying it is pointless for Darnold to hold out, and nothing about how pointless it is for the Jets to be holding out... The sword cuts both ways, dudes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I see so many post saying it is pointless for Darnold to hold out, and nothing about how pointless it is for the Jets to be holding out... The sword cuts both ways, dudes.

...Jesus, if the SOLE purpose of holding out is to preserve his ability to "double dip", guy must fear being the NEXT "USC-Sanchez-Jesters" flop.......USC has churned out some beauties.....

Called Precident. Jets have a long standing policy of including offsets in all Rookie Deals. Not to mention No QB in this draft avoided offset language. So to pull the language sets a very dangerous precedent for Jets in future drafts. 

They have two QBs to go forward with right now. Only one being hurt is Darnold missing time

over language that will never be used or affect him. 

However the Precendent will affect the Jets for years to come. 

Culture.

The Jets are saying "this is the way we do things."  Darnold is saying "I don't want to do it your way.  I want to do it my way."

That's what I was saying about McBeane.   They're immediately turned off when the player's behavior says "I don't want to do it your way."   Just like Belichick is turned off.   McBeane's view, and Belichick's, and apparently the Jets', is that the players must do it their way on things that are of fundamental importance.   

The difference between the cultures is, I'm guessing, that the Bills knew what they were getting with Allen and the Jets, apparently, didn't know what they were getting with Darnold.  McBeane don't want a guy who puts himself ahead of the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  I didn't know anything about this issue.   

The fact that Darnold actually cares about this says something about the guy.   That fact alone reflects a character issue that would put off McBeane.   They want guys who have complete confidence in themselves and who are willing to bet their futures on themselves.   That' one thing that I like about Tyrod.   He's all about "just give me a chance to play.  If you don't want to play me, I'll move on."   Tyrod left Baltimore to get to the place where he had the best opportunity to play, he renegotiated his contract twice to be sure he continued to have the best opportunity to play, and he embraced being traded because it gave him the best opportunity to play.   He makes good money compared to you and me, and he simply doesn't let the fact that he might get a better deal get in the way of playing football.  

Holding up his signing over this issue says that Darnold doesn't have complete confidence in himself, that he wants some protection on the downside if things don't go well.  And it says he cares about how much money he's going to get.   From a strictly personal, economic point of view, that makes perfectly a good sense.   From the team's perspective, it says Darnold has his eye on the wrong ball.   Football isn't number 1.  

It's why the Bills probably aren't interested in Dez Bryant, and probably aren't interested in Mack.  If you're not 100% about team football, they aren't interested.   And if you're holding out, or if you're a distraction in some other way, you aren't 100% about team football.   McBeane have been very clear - they want guys whose fundamental personality traits indicate that they're committed to the process.   That's one of the things they liked about Allen.   He's that kind of guy.   And that's why he's signed and Darnold isn't.   To the extent they think about it at all, Darnold not signing is something that reinforces their belief that they got the right guy.  

While I agree with your thoughts on Allen's personality traits, and his willingness to sign with offsets, it should be noted that he waited until  after Mayfield also signed with offsets before he signed. Perhaps he wanted to see what mayfield did, perhaps mayfield's signing gave cover to Jimmy Sexton. In any event-good for Bills, bad for Jets. While I hate the expression, that's a win-win