Carbonated Beverages

Carbonated Beverages  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use as a blanket term for sweetened carbonated beverages?

2. 2. Where did you grow up?

On 7/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Growing up it was pop. Now that I live away it's soda, or just the name of whatever...Coke, Pepsi, Moxie, etc.

Same here - called it pop growing up in WNY but everyone in Texas says soda. I avoid saying either by being brand-specific.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:08 AM, Wayne Cubed said:

Originally from Rochester... it's always been Pop, hell that's what Wegmans used to call it. I believe Soda Pop is a Syracuse thing.

That's because Syracuse is the dividing line.  To the east - Soda, to the west - Pop

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

....but I thought every carbonated beverage in Texas was referred to as Coke...??

Everyone in Atlanta would like that to be true, but it lacks in efficiency. Even Coca Cola needs you to narrow that down! “Bubble please!” 

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

....but I thought every carbonated beverage in Texas was referred to as Coke...??

No, all I've ever heard around here is "soda".  I used to hear "coke" all the time in southern Virginia though.

23 hours ago, Azalin said:

Same here - called it pop growing up in WNY but everyone in Texas says soda. I avoid saying either by being brand-specific.

Not me..

I'm a native Texan.

I call it by it's name.

If I want a Coke I say Coke.

If I want a Dr Pepper I say Dr Pepper.

And etc.

35 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Not me..

I'm a native Texan.

I call it by it's name.

If I want a Coke I say Coke.

If I want a Dr Pepper I say Dr Pepper.

And etc.

Fair enough, I'm busted.  :beer:

More accurately, I should have said that I've never heard anyone in Texas  refer to soft drinks in general as "coke", but if a generic term is ever used, it's "soda" and not "pop" or "coke".

On 7/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Root Beer is known more as "root beer" than it's specific product name.

I never hear someone say "Yeah, give me an A&W" like they do with a Coke or Pepsi.  They just say root beer.

What ever happened to root beers brother, birch beer?   Something I haven't thought about in 50 years.