Crime or Clemency

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Roman Catholics ARE Christians.  Listing them separately is redundant.

I think they mean Roman Catholics and Protestant Denominations Christians.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

What about Eastern Orthodox?

Eastern Orthodox Christianity predates Protestantism by about 500 years. Their core beliefs are similar to those of Catholicism. In fact, the creeds of the two denominations are nearly identical. However, there are key differences between Orthodox  Christianity and other Christian denominations.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Eastern Orthodox Christianity predates Protestantism by about 500 years. Their core beliefs are similar to those of Catholicism. In fact, the creeds of the two denominations are nearly identical. However, there are key differences between Orthodox  Christianity and other Christian denominations.

Thanks for the Wiki history lesson :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

I think they mean Roman Catholics and Protestant Denominations Christians.

That may be possible.  It doesn't change the fact that Roman Catholics are Christians.

14 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I've dealt with being the decisionmaker for my 33 year old wife's "existence". After a head-on accident she ended up  in the hospital in a coma. Eight days later I was awakened in the middle of the night after they had taken her off the respirator and she eventually couldn't breath on her own. They were hand respirating her and wanted to know if they should continue. After consulting with the neurosurgeon, the chaplain for the hospital and my wife's sister I had to let her go. It was, needless to say the most difficult decision of my life but also the easiest in retrospect. 

I'm now dealing with my elderly mother who has dementia but still is functional. She lost her husband (my father) of 73 years 3 months ago. I hang with her every chance I get. She has accepted her "plight" and frequently says something like "you expect me to remember that, that was more than 15 minutes ago", then she laughs. My 33 year old wife's life was over the minute her head hit the windshield. My mother still has "X" amount of time to share her joy and wisdom. BTW, she volunteers to talk and communicate with people in a rest home a couple of days of the week. We just have to remind her what two days of the week it is.

Thanks for sharing.  I thought you were older, fwiw

My mom is almost 92.  She can get around with a walker and  still has her faculties . Her memory is slowly going like asking me to do something several times in a few hours , but she can take care of herself.  When I had my stroke 4 years ago, she  paid to have ny brother and brother-in-law come out to California to bring me and my stuff back to Buffalo (I had no relatives in CA).  I recovered and have been taking care of her since like having to do the wash, clean the house, and shop for her.  She says she is sorry that  she has to rely on me for these things, but I tell her that I am happy to pay her back  for rescuing me from having to stay in a nursing home while I was rehabbing. I tell her she had to wipe my ass so many times when I was a baby and now it is my turn to help her out now.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Catholics are the original Protestants and Eastern Orthodoxy is the original Christian faith. Catholicism split away from the original teachings of the church and made it permanent when they dreamed up the Pope being infallible and having divine capabilities. Essentially this split was along the division of the eastern and western Roman empires. The western empire fell apart and the east endured in present day Istanbul. The Orthodox spiritual leader is the Patriarch who is simply considered "first among equals" as the Bishop of Constantinople. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Best of luck dealing with all this. My mom has parkinsons and is hardly able to talk. When Muhammad Ali died of Parkinson's mom told me that's how she would go, eventually unable to breathe. Says she does not want to be revived 

I consider my self lucky that Mom still has her brain. I would hate to have to deal with her going completely demented. 

Politics aside,  I'm really sorry to hear that about your mom. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Catholics are the original Protestants and Eastern Orthodoxy is the original Christian faith. Catholicism split away from the original teachings of the church and made it permanent when they dreamed up the Pope being infallible and having divine capabilities. Essentially this split was along the division of the eastern and western Roman empires. The western empire fell apart and the east endured in present day Istanbul. The Orthodox spiritual leader is the Patriarch who is simply considered "first among equals" as the Bishop of Constantinople. 

I may be showing my age here, but in the dark ages before Wiki this kind of stuff was considered history and actually taught in the public school system

21 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

I'm RC , have great respect for Eastern Orthodox. Now that I have more time will look into their history.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Thank you. I hesitated to share but thought that I had a little insight into the decision making involved in letting a loved one go.  

You had shared that sad time in your life with me a few years ago, and I haven't forgotten it. Trying to deal with that, especially with a young child to consider, is still something I believe to be beyond my ability to adequately handle.

I admire that kind of strength.

• Thank you (+1) 1