If you could go back in time to high school

Just Jack

Just now, row_33 said:

accounting studies are always good to fall back on when other paths fail

just do what interests you and hopefully you can make a living at it.

times are always hard when you don't have connections to get you a break in your job life, keep pushing

somehow i found a niche

My daughter is getting her Bachelors in accounting in December.   She is currently interning at a firm in South FL and doing very well.   Could not be more proud of her.   

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

accounting studies are always good to fall back on when other paths fail

just do what interests you and hopefully you can make a living at it.

times are always hard when you don't have connections to get you a break in your job life, keep pushing

somehow i found a niche

I always liked accounting but am too slow paced for the production that is sought in the cubicle farms that are accounting firms.  Maybe back in the days when you could make a go as a small time accountant in a small town.

9 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

My daughter is getting her Bachelors in accounting in December.   She is currently interning at a firm in South FL and doing very well.   Could not be more proud of her.   

I was always driven to numbers for math and science, i realized i wasn't going to crack the top GPAs in University science or engineering, so accounting it was.

Great to hear she is doing well, if you have a keen interest in the things nobody else wants to do you can dominate that strain.

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I always liked accounting but am too slow paced for the production that is sought in the cubicle farms that are accounting firms.  Maybe back in the days when you could make a go as a small time accountant in a small town.

the book What Color Is Your Parachute was helpful to me in 1991 when I came out of 3 years bedridden illness, into a recession, with no public job ads, no contacts and little hope

it probably has the same philosophy in 2018, things don't change and it was the best advice i ever obtained on entering the job market without a safety net

Just now, row_33 said:

I was always driven to numbers for math and science, i realized i wasn't going to crack the top GPAs in University science or engineering, so accounting it was.

Great to hear she is doing well, if you have a keen interest in the things nobody else wants to do you can dominate that strain.

She's into auditing right now.  She likes getting out of the office and meeting people.    The money will be right and she knows if this firm hires her full time she will have fantastic benefits, PTO, pay, 401k, etc.    She knows she will have the time and money to pursue her interests if she puts in the work now and if she wants to start family some day she'll have the means to do it.  

The future so in laws a good kid too.  I like him.   

28 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

She's into auditing right now.  She likes getting out of the office and meeting people.    The money will be right and she knows if this firm hires her full time she will have fantastic benefits, PTO, pay, 401k, etc.    She knows she will have the time and money to pursue her interests if she puts in the work now and if she wants to start family some day she'll have the means to do it.  

The future so in laws a good kid too.  I like him.   

very few accountants enjoy public audit, most partners hate it, most students flew immediately after getting their designation

i went to interviews back in the early 90s telling them i wanted to do public audits and they all said "nobody wants to do those..."  [what a bunch of losers...]

audit was a loss leader for decades until Enron, now it's a better field so an honest keen interest in it should be rewarded these days

So i went on informational interviews (as advised in the book noted earlier) and found the niche of forensic accounting and got hired pretty quick when my interest in data mining found a field that specialized in it, been working on the top cases in Toronto for 2 decades now, it's not filled with the perks of big-firm status but I never wanted that.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

So i went on informational interviews (as advised in the book noted earlier) and found the niche of forensic accounting and got hired pretty quick when my interest in data mining found a field that specialized in it, been working on the top cases in Toronto for 2 decades now, it's not filled with the perks of big-firm status but I never wanted that.

So you're Ben Affleck in The Accountant?  Cool!

17 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

So you're Ben Affleck in The Accountant?  Cool!

more like Zelig (Woody Allen's) or Forrest Gump, doing the grind-work for things with sometimes huge public and private consequence

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Koko78 said:

I don't know if I would change anything. Most of what got me to where I am was dumb luck and good timing (with a little bit of occasionally making it look like I put in hard work in between.) Change one little thing, and my life probably turns out vastly different - not necessarily to my benefit.

This is exactly how I feel about my life.  Dumb luck/good timing & on the rare occasion making it look like I was busting my hump when I was still putting in minimal effort) has somehow gotten me several promotions at work. 

I would be a bit more aggressive with the ladies looking back at it.  I also had a fear of rejection.  I had a decent time with the ladies in my younger day but could of had a lot more fun if I was a bit more aggressive.  My Spanish teacher in high school gave me hints that she was interested in me but I never pursued.   I still kick myself for that one. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, joesixpack said:

I’d have drank less and studied more. 

yeah over the course of my life I have spent most of my money on Women, booze & gambling; the rest I spent foolishly. 

10 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I never would have played football.

I would have still played, but I'd have gone down when I made that interception at South Lake instead of trying to score a TD and having my collar bone shattered my senior year.   

On 7/4/2018 at 7:39 AM, Golden Goat said:

I would have enjoyed the ride instead of obsessing over the destination.

These are words my wife needs to hear. Would you give her a quick text? 

2 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Augie, we went to the same High School.  I probably know your wife . . . .  (although you're not who i thought you were originally).  SJCI '82...

I was class of ‘77, and I met my wife after moving to Hilton Head, SC. But yes, SJCI. I’ll be back for the home opener this year, and hope SJCI has a home game that Saturday. I took both my sons to Bills home games when they turned 16, and the older caught a HS game as well. It was a hoot, but also a little disorienting! 

On 7/5/2018 at 5:44 AM, RochesterRob said:

Yep, odds are your life will turn out better with more college and a degree that is highly useful.  Used to be you could make a good living as a craftsman, etc. but it is so hard to find such a job that is more than a lot of hours with minimal pay in current times.  I wished that I was more serious about something such as law school in my youth but it seemed like a lot of investment just to come back home and do closings on real estate transfers.  

I think you can still do fine as a craftsman....but like most other things you need to actually be good at your craft.  And yes, like most other jobs you need to start at the bottom rung and work hard for crap pay for a while.  Years ago that was kind of understood as the path forward in many professions, but today too many people are either a) too lazy to work hard or b) think they are above such "unfairness".

The only place I've seen so far where you can walk in and demand your terms as an idiot right out of college, is  software developers.   

Oh, and it was NOT Irma from the food line that I married! 

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think you can still do fine as a craftsman....but like most other things you need to actually be good at your craft.  And yes, like most other jobs you need to start at the bottom rung and work hard for crap pay for a while.  Years ago that was kind of understood as the path forward in many professions, but today too many people are either a) too lazy to work hard or b) think they are above such "unfairness".

The only place I've seen so far where you can walk in and demand your terms as an idiot right out of college, is  software developers.   

From the people I’ve known, they are right out of college, but they didn’t even finish college. They pluck the best ones early! 

On 7/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, row_33 said:

depends....

some have zero strikes at the plate, some have a few, some have 123

partners at my accounting firms and rich clients waited patiently for their sons to finally wise up and get to law school when they were 30 years old

I heard recently the average age of entry into law school is very close to 30. It takes time to find what you want to do with your life. I’m STILL trying to figure it out! 

5 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Damn, we missed by one year  . . . i was a freshman with Joe Chaya across the street in '78...

The good news is, you’re not as old as I am. You are young compared to an old fart like me!

Irma? That’s another category....