Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

in 1968, Jane Asher publicly announces she is through with Paul

Paul goes back to his flat with 4 willing fans living there, or maybe this was Francie or Linda-time.

Francie was a great internet contributor in the late 1990s for her anecdotes and stuff from that era.

More work on Sexy Sadie today in 1968, things were getting uglier and uglier....

not sure what day the take of John calling the Maharishi a c-unit occurred, it was nice of Paul to interject they should maybe stick to the kinder version

Geoff Emerick's resignation kept going in to a second week, didn't fully return until April 1969, some spot work in between.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Work on Sexy Sadie and Yer Blues.

Yer Blues is probably the best song that many rock fans don't know but would admire by The Fab Four

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus album/TV special has this song on it. Credited to a made up band called "The Dirty Mac." It's really John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (on bass actually), and Mitch Mitchell. Probably the best version out there for obvious reasons. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

29 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus album/TV special has this song on it. Credited to a made up band called "The Dirty Mac." It's really John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (on bass actually), and Mitch Mitchell. Probably the best version out there for obvious reasons. 

Fully agreed, a privilege to see a non-hit performed live like that.

The third side of the White Album has been argued as the only time they were "really cool."

Heavy work in 1968 this day on What's the New Mary Jane, along with others in process

This would have been an awesome side 2 track to parallel Revolution 9 on side 4.

wonder if the producers and engineers had finally stopped worrying about John by this point and just shrugged and went with it

7 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for the link.   Doesn't appear to be in chronological order though.  For bit it felt like I was 16 again,

Saw a 14 minute jumble of takes 4 and 5 on YouTube as well. John filled up precious studio time with Rev 9 and all this over a few months on EMIs watch

nobody else could have done that, nobody else could have released that double album with all that (great) content as well

Just now, row_33 said:

Saw a 14 minute jumble of takes 4 and 5 on YouTube as well. John filled up precious studio time with Rev 9 and all this over a few months on EMIs watch

nobody else could have done that, nobody else could have released that double album with all that (great) content as well

Rev 9 is officially the only Beatles "song" that I cannot stand.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Rev 9 is officially the only Beatles "song" that I cannot stand.

I remember when I 3, in 1969, and listening to it with headphones and demanding it be replaced by  Bungalow Bill. My mother changed the record and made some comment about not having a clue what John thought he was trying to do.

Rev 9 is kinda tame compared to a lot of “classical composer music” from that era, sadly...

———- so who on earth set me up with the White Album on headphones when I was 3....

thanks!!!

I've fallen so in love with the song Penny Lane I had to look up the lyrics and then look up what they meant and other things about the song. It made it onto the list of Rolling Stones top 500, at 456, which seems fair enough to me. The references in the song are interesting. From Wiki: 

The mysterious lyrics "Four of fish and finger pies" are British slang. "A four of fish" refers to fourpennyworth of fish and chips, while "finger pie" is sexual slang of the time, apparently referring to intimate fondlings between teenagers in the shelter, which was a familiar meeting place. The combination of "fish and finger" also puns on fish fingers.[10] Ian Macdonald suggests an LSD influence, and that the lyrical imagery points to McCartney first taking LSD in late 1966. However, he also cites a different story, which dates McCartney's first LSD trip to 21 March 1967. Macdonald finishes with the comment: "Despite its seeming innocence, there are few more LSD-redolent phrases in the Beatles' output than the line ... in which the Nurse 'feels as if she's in a play' ... and 'is anyway'."[11]

And there's this: 

On 17 January 1967, trumpet player David Mason recorded the piccolo trumpet solo.[16] The solo, which was the result of a suggestion from McCartney after seeing a BBC performance of Johann Sebastian Bach's second Brandenburg Concerto,[17] is in a mock-Baroque style for which the piccolo trumpet (a small instrument built about one octave higher than the standard instrument) is particularly suited, having a clean and clear sound which penetrates well through thicker midrange textures.[18]According to lead sound engineer Geoff Emerick, Mason "nailed it" at some point during the recording; McCartney tried to get him to do another take but producer 

The trumpet sounds just like blue skies 

Everything I've read about Beatles songs with drug references, seem to be wrong. The songs the public guessed were drug references The LSD "Lucy Sky Diamonds" thing, seem to be false. Although the song writing definitely seems to have been influenced by it, not written directly about the drug. Everybody involved to this day holds to the story that it's Julian's drawing of his friend Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

On the contrary, a song like "Got To Get You Into My Life" which sounds like an innocent enough song about love for a woman, Paul has said is literally a love song to marijuana. 

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Everything I've read about Beatles songs with drug references, seem to be wrong. The songs the public guessed were drug references The LSD "Lucy Sky Diamonds" thing, seem to be false. Although the song writing definitely seems to have been influenced by it, not written directly about the drug. Everybody involved to this day holds to the story that it's Julian's drawing of his friend Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

On the contrary, a song like "Got To Get You Into My Life" which sounds like an innocent enough song about love for a woman, Paul has said is literally a love song to marijuana. 

I will never believe that Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds was not named after LSD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone else here into Beatles covers? I actually own this Lp, the kind of music you play when people at the beach start getting a little too close to your area. Believe its from 68'... on Capitol records:

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I will never believe that Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds was not named after LSD.

of course it was

users always pretended they never had a clue what people were talking about....

part of the fun game of it all

----------------------------------

50 years ago today, Ringo quit the Beatles for a few weeks

hanging around with this bunch sucked so bad that he quit

Paul then shrugged it off and fumbled all over the drums for the first two songs on the White Album before realizing he better get the real drummer back...

---------------------------

finally enjoying the first volume of Lewisohn's proposed complete trilogy of their history, up to the recording of the PPM album

please tell it 100% factual with no scrubbing up or disrepect to them, we can take it

volume 2 due in 2020.

this and Caro's final installment of his great bio on LBJ,  from his 1964 election to death, are two things i'm impatiently waiting on....

On 6/18/2018 at 12:15 PM, dhg said:

I am going to divert off the list. Some of the earlier Capitol releases were different then the UK releases. I love them all, but the album I wore out playing was Beatles '65.

TheBeatlesBeatles65reissuecover.jpg

I just listed to this while cutting the grass the other day.  Great album.  And as I was listening to this I thought it could be my favorite. '65 was a pretty good year for music.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beatles 65 was one time the US butchering was better than the UK release of Beatles for Sale

US fans didn’t mind buying 45s and the same songs on the LP that same month 

Edited by row_33

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

---------------------------

finally enjoying the first volume of Lewisohn's proposed complete trilogy of their history, up to the recording of the PPM album

please tell it 100% factual with no scrubbing up or disrepect to them, we can take it

volume 2 due in 2020.

this and Caro's final installment of his great bio on LBJ,  from his 1964 election to death, are two things i'm impatiently waiting on....

I did a search on Lewisohn, which then linked to the Amazon.   They had a few pages of Vol 1 you could read.  Very interesting.  They also had a intro on the English money system.   I never realized Lbs, Shillings and Pence were not based on the decimal system at one time.  That alone was a good read.

Lewisohn was the first to put out the studio recording details day by day, a great rare book until it was mass published after a few years.

Agreed about the English money system, even as an accountant I laughed and learned half the facts.

i hope the next volume gives us something of the truth between the scrubbed approved bios and John’s scornful post-breakup interview with Rolling Stone and Goldman’s probably often factual but bitter and negative bio on John.

1968... today was the release of the 45s Hey Jude/Revolution and Those Were the Days (Mary Hopkins) on Apple

good choices... both hitting at worst #2 in the US and UK for the next few months

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, row_33 said:

1968... today was the release of the 45s Hey Jude/Revolution and Those Were the Days (Mary Hopkins) on Apple

good choices... both hitting at worst #2 in the US and UK for the next few months

I "don't think" I have that one anymore but It is possible... for sure still have the first JT on Apple though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, T&C said:

I "don't think" I have that one anymore but It is possible... for sure still have the first JT on Apple though.

used to have all the Apple 45s for the group and solo efforts up through 1976

friend had The Pope Smokes Dope Album, another Apple classic

Just found out yesterday there's a bootleg of a cocaine fueled jam session from '74 with John, Paul, Nilson, Bobby Keys (Stones sax player), ans Stevie effin Wonder. Went home and looked it up. Kinda disappointing actually. Still cool to listen to. But its just a bunch of guys screwing around. Not sure how I didn't know about it until just now.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Just found out yesterday there's a bootleg of a cocaine fueled jam session from '74 with John, Paul, Nilson, Bobby Keys (Stones sax player), ans Stevie effin Wonder. Went home and looked it up. Kinda disappointing actually. Still cool to listen to. But its just a bunch of guys screwing around. Not sure how I didn't know about it until just now.

it took until youtube to get this out freely

where's Yoko's unique contribution that she could have made...  :D

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

used to have all the Apple 45s for the group and solo efforts up through 1976

friend had The Pope Smokes Dope Album, another Apple classic

I never got into 45's... the only way I ever picked any of them up was in a collection kind of scenario. However, back in the late 90's I went to a yard sale and picked up one of those booklets of 45's for $5 bucks. Basically a random mix of 60's pop hits but where the last page met the back cover there was a "She's So Sweet" picture sleeve... very good condition with little ring wear but the previous owner had written her name neatly on it in ink pen. Had she not written her name on it I would have called it excellent. The 45 was not there.

Listed it on ebay, which was pretty new at the time... without a pic... and sold it for $450. Probably my biggest find and sell ever, online or otherwise. Picture sleeves in general are worth  at least 3/4 more of what the 45 goes for I have found. Haven't been in that area of resell in probably 15 years though.

37 minutes ago, T&C said:

I never got into 45's... the only way I ever picked any of them up was in a collection kind of scenario. However, back in the late 90's I went to a yard sale and picked up one of those booklets of 45's for $5 bucks. Basically a random mix of 60's pop hits but where the last page met the back cover there was a "She's So Sweet" picture sleeve... very good condition with little ring wear but the previous owner had written her name neatly on it in ink pen. Had she not written her name on it I would have called it excellent. The 45 was not there.

Listed it on ebay, which was pretty new at the time... without a pic... and sold it for $450. Probably my biggest find and sell ever, online or otherwise. Picture sleeves in general are worth  at least 3/4 more of what the 45 goes for I have found. Haven't been in that area of resell in probably 15 years though.

45s often had fun b-sides otherwise not available, nothing would have been in decent condition for today's market

nice work on ebay!!!