Nice Send Off For Flutie

Too bad it took his unfortunate episode with the Bills to learn how to be a team player (and possibly a mentor to Brees, I would hope).

276496[/snapback]

Man, I hate to break it too you but he was more of a team player than any of the bills on the team he played on.......he won games.......that's something JP has left to do

stop dogging him :blink:

Man, I hate to break it too you but he was more of a team player than any of the bills on the team he played on.......he won games.......that's something JP has left to do

276506[/snapback]

That has to be both the dumbest and funniest thing I have ever read. So quick how some of you forget . Tutie was a cancer on this team when he was here. He was simply a ME player and that is a fact. He may have changed since he left Buffalo, but when he was here he he was a very selfish player.

Here is my shortened version of what Flutie did as A Buffalo Bill:

He energized the team, had some very good moments for the Bills, and helped sell tickets and establish more of a fan base, especially from Canada. Flutie was probably never going to lead the Bills to the Super Bowl, but he did a very good job for the Bills overall. Sure he is selfish, some teammates do not love him etc, but overall he was solid for the Bills.

One thing that I do find interesting: When Flutie lost his job as the starter after Rob Johnson's great game against the Colts (and Flutie was not all that good in 1999), so many people went nuts about how Flutie was screwed etc....but when RJ got hurt at Indy in his first year, and he had some good games to start that season (especially at home against San Francisco), but he was never given a chance to get his starting job back when he was healthy, but sure Flutie was winning (also a big part in that 98 run was the improvement of the defense), so nobody talked abour RJ not getting a fair shake.

That really shows how popularity for a player can alter one's thinking about a situation.

276506[/snapback]

Flutie was a cancer and was about nothing but Doug Flutie. How comical that you would state he was the biggest team player on that team. I don't have time to go into the numerous examples supporting the Me First attitude, but TD basically confirmed it himself this week in his Q&A.

Once defenses saw him and figured out how to defense him, he basically became ineffective and useless, and thus shut down the "he just wins" flutopian battle cry.

Good riddance and Thank God that sad chapter in Bills history is behind us.

Flutie had one real good year. (actually about 13 games) The next year as was already mentioned teams figured him out and he didn't do much. The team won alot, but it wasdn't becasue of him, so as long as you're winning, they kept playing him. But if the team needed a big game from the QB, they were in trouble.

Never heard him do an interview where anything was ever his fault!

This also could have been written in Buffalo when he left

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/03/16...2_443_15_05.txt

Always the competitor

276434[/snapback]

To the writer of the article

Loved your quiet accurate piece on Dougie.

I am a Buffalo guy who goes all the way back to the start in 1960 when the AFL launched.

Doug Flutie kept it a game and all about winning and truly leaving it on the field--when he was in Buffalo I was a Rob Johnson guy because of his work habits size etc----did not know about the intangibles ----Doug had them all!!!

Again thanks for the piece!!

The team won alot, but it wasdn't becasue of him, so as long as you're winning, they kept playing him.  But if the team needed a big game from the QB, they were in trouble.

276625[/snapback]

Was that in 1999 or 2004? ;)

My three most vivid memories of Flutie, in Buffalo:

1- His brilliant end around run, to win the game against the Jaguars, and the starting point of the QB controversy...

2- Press confernece after that same game, "Well, the play was designed as a run, but Thurman missed a block I think, so I just figured I would just tuck it in and run!" If you saw the replay, it doesn't look like Flutie even gave anyone enough time to miss a block...he had intended to run it in, even before the snap...there was no reason, other than to make sure he got pats on the back, to call out a proud vetran like Thurman to the media, whether he missed a block or not...my first confirmation, in Buffalo, that this guy was the same jerk I remembered pre-1997!

3- The last game of the 1998 season (Fluties' "good season"), with a playoff spot clinched, Wade Phillips decides to give Rob Johson the start, in the final game in New Orleans. Nothing was on the line. Johson had been battling injuries all year, it was smart to give him a start. I was at the game, sitting right behind the Bills bench. It wasn't picked up by a ton of the media, but Flutie pouted the entire game. He sat, on his helmet, about 15 yards from the players bench, chin on hand, looking very pissed off...Johnson, as he was one to do in meaningless games, had a teriffic game. The players were happy, high-fiving eachother, anticipating a playoff game the next week. Even the normally ornery Bruce Smith was hamming it up with Bills fans behind the bench...I remember, RJ making a long pass (about 60 yards to Quin Early for a td) and running to the sidelines, very pumped up...the first guy he ran to was Flutie...Flutie literally turned away from him....in fact, throughtout the game, various Bills players went down the sideline to talk with Flutie, he ignored all, except Thurman and Bruce...he really was the cliche "me guy". He couldn't stand to see someone else succeeding. Who knows, if he hadn't been such a a-hole, RJ would have played himself off the roster, and Flutie would be retiring as a Bill...Buffalo was just not big enough to contain his ego....

Pick up a copy of his book (aptly titled Flutie) and give it a read. The thing only sold in Boston and Canada for several years, and then at the end of the 1998 season it was "updated!" to include a chapter on his just-concluded Bills season.

I read it that off-season and was struck by how many times Flutie said "I won" and "we lost" and "I threw a touchdown" and "we fumbled" and so on. I mean, there are scores of examples of that kind of credit-taking and buck-passing throughout the book.

So I decided to pay closer attention to his press clippings in 1999 and damned if they didn't follow the same pattern, right down to the time that HE fumbled at a crucial point in one game and afterward said "WE fumbled the ball."

Rob Johnson was no damn prize either, but Flutie was one of the most egotistical and selfish players I have ever seen come through Buffalo.

I remember his 1st or second year at San Diego when the Chargers lost a close game and a reporter asked him about it and he said something to the effect of " I threw for 300 yards and 2 touchdowns, I didn't fumble twice or miss a field goal"

Great team player. I'm sure Tomlinson and Christie loved that comment.

DF was a team player allright, for the "Flutie" team

I remember his 1st or second year at San Diego when the Chargers lost a close game and a reporter asked him about it and he said something to the effect of " I threw for 300 yards and 2 touchdowns, I didn't fumble twice or miss a field goal"

Great team player. I'm sure Tomlinson and Christie loved that comment.

DF was a team player allright, for the "Flutie" team

276914[/snapback]

I remember that as well...

But he is a dog. Oh wait, no he wasn't - dogs are loyal and obedient. Flutie was a selfish locker room cancer with no regard for the team.

276534[/snapback]

Ooooo. Nice one. Mind if I use that?

You see thats what you can do with a little moxie, kids.

Flutie a winner? He lost 9 out of his last 10 starts! By the way, Almighty Flutie has never won a NFL playoff game. Flutie is a winner? Hell no. Good riddance

Actually he was 2-12 in his last 14 starts, including an 0-9 run to finish out 2001. It's interesting that he couldn't "just win" with the Chargers, like he allegedly did with the Bills. :w00t:

Flutie had one real good year.  (actually about 13 games)  The next year as was already mentioned teams figured him out and he didn't do much. The team won alot, but it wasdn't becasue of him, so as long as you're winning, they kept playing him.  But if the team needed a big game from the QB, they were in trouble.

276625[/snapback]

true--he was figured out---and they still won a lot because of the d---BUT---RJ would have lost us most of the games that he caretaked(word???..lol) to wins.

He also got older---people age quickly athletically in their late thirties

Actually he was 2-12 in his last 14 starts, including an 0-9 run to finish out 2001.  It's interesting that he couldn't "just win" with the Chargers, like he allegedly did with the Bills. :w00t:

277530[/snapback]

What his legion of followers won't admit is that their Deity went to play on a much better team than the Bills had at the time and still managed to find a way to go on a 9 game losing streak!!! :w00t:

Imagine what could've happened if he stayed. :w00t: