World Cup 2018 Thread

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s 10am kickoff for most of us, can’t eatch it and no hope of taping and not hearing the result

That's a shame. Surely this is the game Germany come to life?

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

That's a shame. Surely this is the game Germany come to life?

not in the first round, just a big boring fart

for both games, sadly... but 100% expected

4 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Wow, crazy stuff in today’s early games.  Mexico lucky indeed.  They owe a huge debt to S. Korea, especially their keeper, who was great.  I didn’t think S. Korea was capable of a performance like that.  Good stuff!

Korea sent the US through winning in a similar meaningless game over Portugal in 2010(?). Give them credit. Germany was the better team and missed their chances, but SK was massively gritty. Two pretty lousy teams go through. I doubt either one goes beyond their next match.

Edited by BeginnersMind

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Korea sent the US through winning in a similar meaningless game over Portugal in 2010(?). Give them credit. Germany was the better team and missed their chances, but SK was massively gritty. Two pretty lousy teams go through. I doubt either one goes beyond their next match.

I feel like both Sweden & Mexico are capable of beating anyone on a good day.  Consistency is the issue, especially for Mexico.  They were poor today, but they can play at a very high level when it comes together for them.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thanks.

So who is probably the favorite now to win it all?

Hard to say.  It’s pretty wide open.  Germany’s out.  Spain & Brazil look ok, but not great.  Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, England, Sweden...all very much in the mix.  Makes it a fun tournament in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

I feel like both Sweden & Mexico are capable of beating anyone on a good day.  Consistency is the issue, especially for Mexico.  They were poor today, but they can play at a very high level when it comes together for them.

Hard to say.  It’s pretty wide open.  Germany’s out.  Spain & Brazil look ok, but not great.  Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, England, Sweden...all very much in the mix.  Makes it a fun tournament in my opinion.

Do you have a dog in the fight?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you have a dog in the fight?

Well, it would be USA, but...?

I’m rooting for Mexico ( I guess that’s sacrilege to some).  Also England (they invented the game—they deserve some love) and Portugal somewhat too.

Edited by Cugalabanza
  • Like (+1) 1