World Cup 2018 Thread

I'm obviously pleased with England's result last night. We've found it hard to win the first game of a tournament over the years so to get the points was the main objective, no matter how we or the opposition played.

I think Southgate has found the correct formation but not the right personnel to play it. 

16 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I'm obviously pleased with England's result last night. We've found it hard to win the first game of a tournament over the years so to get the points was the main objective, no matter how we or the opposition played.

I think Southgate has found the correct formation but not the right personnel to play it. 

A win is a win is a win, just get to the next round without wasting energy or piling up injuries.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

A win is a win is a win, just get to the next round without wasting energy or piling up injuries.....

Without a doubt. A win against Panama on Sunday should be enough to see England through. A boring 1-0 will suffice. 

I think Dele Alli would have been replaced at half time had England gone in at the break 1-0 up. His looked the only injury problem for England.

Today's games don't look like the greatest match-ups. Russia v Egypt (if Salah plays) is probably the pick of the bunch. 

2 hours ago, BritBill said:

Without a doubt. A win against Panama on Sunday should be enough to see England through. A boring 1-0 will suffice. 

I think Dele Alli would have been replaced at half time had England gone in at the break 1-0 up. His looked the only injury problem for England.

Today's games don't look like the greatest match-ups. Russia v Egypt (if Salah plays) is probably the pick of the bunch. 

i overdosed on the first games, some great group efforts presented

i could see the next 8 games being ritual slaughters until Croatia/Argentina, the first "playoff game" of this world cup

my neighbourhood is heavily populated by people wearing checkerboard shirts during tournaments  :D

Are hardcore fans happy with Southgate so far?

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i overdosed on the first games, some great group efforts presented

i could see the next 8 games being ritual slaughters until Croatia/Argentina, the first "playoff game" of this world cup

my neighbourhood is heavily populated by people wearing checkerboard shirts during tournaments  :D

Are hardcore fans happy with Southgate so far?

I'm really looking forward to Croatia v Argentina. In fact, you could say Croatia have under-achieved a little over the years. They have some top notch players. Mordic and Rakitic are as good as any midfield players in the tournament. Argentina have their hands full.

I went to Zagreb a few years ago. It was the game where the England 'keeper completely missed a back pass and the ball rolled into the empty net. There was plenty of blood spilled before the game at the hands (batons) of the Croat police force. The flight home resembled a hospital emergency ward.

The fans are happy with Southgate in terms of lowering the average age of the squad and introducing some of the players from the successful U21's team. Also, results have been good. Qualification for the World Cup finals was in general a breeze. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, he's found a system which the majority of the players look comfortable in. Only one are two look to be struggling. To be fair to Southgate, there isn't a lot of quality to choose from these days. I'd say Harry Kane is the only true world class player in the squad at the moment. 

For the first time in, well, probably my lifetime an England team has gone to a World Cup and expectations have been low. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I'm really looking forward to Croatia v Argentina. In fact, you could say Croatia have under-achieved a little over the years. They have some top notch players. Mordic and Rakitic are as good as any midfield players in the tournament. Argentina have their hands full.

I went to Zagreb a few years ago. It was the game where the England 'keeper completely missed a back pass and the ball rolled into the empty net. There was plenty of blood spilled before the game at the hands (batons) of the Croat police force. The flight home resembled a hospital emergency ward.

The fans are happy with Southgate in terms of lowering the average age of the squad and introducing some of the players from the successful U21's team. Also, results have been good. Qualification for the World Cup finals was in general a breeze. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, he's found a system which the majority of the players look comfortable in. Only one are two look to be struggling. To be fair to Southgate, there isn't a lot of quality to choose from these days. I'd say Harry Kane is the only true world class player in the squad at the moment. 

For the first time in, well, probably my lifetime an England team has gone to a World Cup and expectations have been low. 

thanks!  hopefully an easy win off Panama and rest for the third game and an easy draw to the quarterfinals!! 

Kinda impressed by Russia too. They have the home thing going on and that big dude up front is capable...even though Egypt w/o Salah fairly toothless. 

Predicting Iran over Spain for upset of the tournament tomorrow in a year with no real powerhouses. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Kinda impressed by Russia too. They have the home thing going on and that big dude up front is capable...even though Egypt w/o Salah fairly toothless. 

Predicting Iran over Spain for upset of the tournament tomorrow in a year with no real powerhouses. 

Yes on Russia, really impressive, and unexpected.

That’s a bold prediction.  I’m thinking Spain wins by 2 or 3, but who knows?

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

Yes on Russia, really impressive, and unexpected.

That’s a bold prediction.  I’m thinking Spain wins by 2 or 3, but who knows?

Yeh in all honesty Spain should win going away, I think they're still favorites for me (they were immensely better than Portugal overall imo, just unlucky to run into the game's best on his day)...but I hate the way they play with such a deep passion. I can't stand the tiki-taka. It drives me crazy watching Barcelona do it, it drove me crazy when Spain decided to go that route about 8 years ago too. It's anti-soccer imo...and wholly reliant on an accommodating referee. It removes the physicality which is what makes the game great for people who understand it. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Russia was handed a cushy group to let them easily get through this round, it’s the right of the host nation if it can play the game.

Yep but there is something to be said for the home team...I remember South Korea playing out of their minds when they hosted. Now granted they were under corruption allegations and investigations afterwards, but still. 

Is that referee Moreno still around, the one that totally screwed Italy and let South Korea win that game?

i trust something will burst to let Russia and other European teams move on....

There's more chance of Morocco turning over Portugal than Iran beating Spain. 

I'm expecting the possession count to be 80-20 in Spain's favour. If they get 2-0 up pretty quickly it'll become a procession of keep ball and low risk play. 

In reality, both games will be comfortable wins for the European teams. 

Both Spain and Portugal should coast to easy 1-0 wins.

Pour on a solid and safe offensive attack and score the goal and grind out the clock and rest key players after they tried too hard in their first game.

But this sometimes backfires....

that’s why the 1-0 win is best, prevents counterattack

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

that’s why the 1-0 win is best, prevents counterattack

Hey Row,

I'm currently reading this book

https://www.amazon.com/Numbers-Game-Everything-About-Soccer/dp/0143124560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529486630&sr=8-1&keywords=the+numbers+game

I think you'll like it. It opens your eyes even more to the game. 

It's nice to have a lead in the game but 1-0 is just so vulnerable. Look at England the other night. Getting the second goal is so important. A third will seal the deal the vast, vast majority of the time.

There's a chapter in the above mentioned book analysing it all. I'm happy to send you my copy when I'm finished.

Edited by BritBill

10 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

1-0 Portugal!!!!!

Ronaldo is looking unstoppable.

4 goals in 2 games...so far

C'mon!

Although how Morocco allowed Ronaldo to have that much space at a set piece is just criminal. 

Thanks Brit, let me know

i mean a game where it’s such a mismatch as Spain and Morocco that Morocco has no earthly expectation of coming close to a decent shot on net unless it’s counterattack or a complete goalie flub like Poland yesterday 

or one connection on a set piece

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

Portugal goes up 1-0 and gambles that the opponent can’t score a goal,

and if they get scored on they will hammer the next game and move on to what matters

as I predicted......

Perfectly played!!! 

Not really, the lousy opponent couldn’t score with 100 hours of attack

learn how the game is REALLY played... a 1-0 lead is safe against trash, as I told you....

its just the stupid first round, and Spain and Portugal were never not going through

39 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Glad Portugal won.

Maybe next game, their defense could play too

they got up 1-0 and parked the bus, this is how the game is played

and this is why soccer will NEVER catch on in North America because a legit strategy is that a  0-0 or 1-0 score is the intent from the first minutes, and in the next round the weaker team is playing for penalty kicks the whole time

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

and this is why soccer will NEVER catch on in North America because a legit strategy is that a  0-0 or 1-0 score is the intent from the first minutes, and in the next round the weaker team is playing for penalty kicks the whole time

They may have parked the bus but in a wrong location. 

Morocco was killing them all game and had so many chances it was disgusting. Portugal's defense was a no show today

Morocco also failed to score versus Iran. That's all you need to know about them.

The best teams move on pretty quickly. Portugal will now be celebrating the win and preparing for doing what they need to do v Iran in their final game. 

They've got through Spain and Morocco with 4 points which looking at how they reacted at the final whistle versus Spain is exactly what they wanted and expected. 

Portugal won the European Championships playing the way they did today. They won't be worried. 

26 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

They may have parked the bus but in a wrong location. 

Morocco was killing them all game and had so many chances it was disgusting. Portugal's defense was a no show today

YOU GO UP 1-0 WITH EASE AND YOU SIT BACK THE REST OF THE GAME, EVEN IF MOROCCO SCORED IT DIDN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEN PORTO WOULD COME OUT AND WHIP IRAN

LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SPORT, DOGGY-EFFING IS THE KEY TO IT...

it can backfire.... Italy is notorious for trying to run out the clock on a 1-0 lead, it backfired on them against Argentina in the 1990 semi-final and it backfired against South Korea more recently

and against France in a Euro championship Final

Spain will probably do the same thing against Iran, methodically and safely score and then back the bus in.

But with the Porto score on the board Spain may instead elect to pile on a few more goals.

But it doesn't really pay to outthink yourself in the first round, you can't strategize on how the round of 16 board sets up when you are an early group to finish.

and I wouldn't want to see Russia in the round of 16 with the video refs taking control of things....  ?

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Spain will probably do the same thing against Iran, methodically and safely score and then back the bus in.

But with the Porto score on the board Spain may instead elect to pile on a few more goals.

But it doesn't really pay to outthink yourself in the first round, you can't strategize on how the round of 16 board sets up when you are an early group to finish.

and I wouldn't want to see Russia in the round of 16 with the video refs taking control of things....  ?

Conspiracies aside, finishing 2nd is wayyyy more advantageous than getting Uruguay.  

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

YOU GO UP 1-0 WITH EASE AND YOU SIT BACK THE REST OF THE GAME, EVEN IF MOROCCO SCORED IT DIDN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEN PORTO WOULD COME OUT AND WHIP IRAN

it can backfire.... Italy is notorious for trying to run out the clock on a 1-0 lead, it backfired on them against Argentina in the 1990 semi-final and it backfired against South Korea more recently

Take it easy, man.  This thread is to talk about & enjoy the WC and the game.  Your stuff is starting to sound like a PPP type crusade.

8 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Take it easy, man.  This thread is to talk about & enjoy the WC and the game.  Your stuff is starting to sound like a PPP type crusade.

why have a heart attack or ulcer over a meaningless first round game when everyone knows Spain and Portugal are going to the next round

maybe you could learn something about the sport as well, you don't mind learning, do you?

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Didn't even see this.

Well seeing as how the Analysts from the World Cup said the same thing as me about the Portuguese defense, maybe they should learn something about the sport. Oh wait, they are former players and coaches