[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, thanks for posting this.  I read comments from folks griping about a few turnovers at the blue line and just shake my head.  Eichel is playing at an elite level right now and there is no other way to slice it.

It's been a season long thing regarding his all around excellent play and now he's added goal scoring.  Captain Jack can play a little. 

Listening to WGR and they are describing a very tough team to beat tonight. And IIRC correctly, even though we shut them out in their barn earleir in the season, the ‘Yotes and their speed gave us fits all game and if Ullmark hadn’t stood on his head, we would have lost. Any team that can go into Nashville and whip the Preds is not to be taken lightly. Gotta be ready to answer the bell FROM THE OPENING FACEOFF. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It's an obscure rule in the rule book. Puck ricocheting off the ref's nuts is not permissible. 

https://deadspin.com/goal-disallowed-after-puck-ricochets-off-unfortunate-re-1831030475

Thanks John C, the TV announcer knew immediately it wasn't a goal.

a one on a million shot

i've seen a hockey cup get cracked blocking a shot.

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Ah, I see; inside joke. Back when I was young, ROR would have been classified as emo or Goth or something . . . then again, I've been called an Eyore so maybe I shouldn't throw stones.

When you figure out the joke would you please let me in on it. I feel left out. It's not surprising because I am easy to befuddle. :)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

a one on a million shot

What was cracked more the cup or the nuts? :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When you figure out the joke would you please let me in on it. I feel left out. It's not surprising because I am easy to befuddle. :)

Oh, come on, John, you're a legend in your own mind!  :P

• Haha (+1) 1

BTW, mayhaps too early..any one going to the game Saturday in DC? If so, you are more than welcome to buy me a beer during first intermission?

But if you are going, be nice to meet any from the board. Going to either The Smith or Denson Liquor Bar pre-game..be  with sister and wife..wife ditching us for a real dinner, sister and I going into game

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Botterill was much more thoughtful than the crackpot Murray. It's not surprising that Botterill used his first year to thoroughly analyze the operation from top to bottom, including the minor league system. After the review he made a series of moves. I point this out simply as a contrast to Murray. 

Of course we both can agree that you have to have an eye for talent. As you noted it doesn't take too much talent to select Dahlin in this draft or Eichel in his draft. One of the  differences between Botterill and Murray is that Botterill is less reactive when making a personal decision. I still can't get over giving up a first round pick for Lehner, a goalie that Ottawa probably wasn't even going to keep. Another major difference between the GMs is that I believe that Botterill is very much committed to player development more so than Murray. 

I always seriously consider what you are saying.  I then take the opposite position. I find that very comforting. My motto is: What would Shrader do?/ Then do the opposite. :)

I would go out and live a long healthy life.:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's an obscure rule in the rule book. Puck ricocheting off the ref's nuts is not permissible. 

https://deadspin.com/goal-disallowed-after-puck-ricochets-off-unfortunate-re-1831030475

So they're an extension of the rink in all situations but this.  Interesting.  Is it strictly pucks deflected into the net?  I've seen plenty of plays where the ref makes a beautiful breakaway pass or centers it out into the slot.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

a one on a million shot

One of the many stories from the legend that is Nick Lidstrom.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

I would go out and live a long healthy life.:thumbsup:

So they're an extension of the rink in all situations but this.  Interesting.  Is it strictly pucks deflected into the net?  I've seen plenty of plays where the ref makes a beautiful breakaway pass or centers it out into the slot.

One of the many stories from the legend that is Nick Lidstrom.

Gary Leeman blocked an Al MacInnis slapshot from the blueline with the back of his head (not helmet=protected) about 10 feet away for a game i saw at MLG in the early 1990s, he got up somehow after 20 minutes

Edited by row_33

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Gary Leeman blocked an Al MacInnis slapshot from the blueline with the back of his head (not helmet=protected) about 10 feet away for a game i saw at MLG in the early 1990s, he got up somehow after 20 minutes

And he's lucky he did.  Can you imagine what the MacInnises and Al Iafrates of the world could do if they were using today's sticks?

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

And he's lucky he did.  Can you imagine what the MacInnises and Al Iafrates of the world could do if they were using today's sticks?

the Leafs administered a bigger beating to him for breaking a lockerroom code, broke his arm.

Numbers to know

• Jack Eichel enters tonight's contest with five goals in his last three games, marking his longest such streak since March 3 to 7, 2016. He has recorded two points in five of his last six games and ranks one shy of league leaders Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen with 15 multi-point outings this season. 

Read more on the remarkable start to Eichel's season here.

• Sam Reinhart is currently riding a career-best seven-game point streak (5+5). He has 23 points (8+5) in his last 23 games, including eight two-point outings in that stretch. 

•  With 21 goals in 31 games, Jeff Skinner is on pace for 56 goals this season. It would mark the second-highest total in Sabres history, behind Alexander Mogilny's record tally of 76 goals in 1992-93. 

Projected Lineup

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
43 Conor Sheary - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 21 Kyle Okposo
72 Tage Thompson - 17 Vladimir Sobotka - 29 Jason Pominville
71 Evan Rodrigues - 22 Johan Larsson - 28 Zemgus Girgensons

2 hours ago, eball said:

Oh, come on, John, you're a legend in your own mind!  :P

I'm the Forrest Gump of TBD.  You can mock and ridicule me all you want. It won't affect me because I'm too dense to absorb  the barbs. And I like chocolate. :)