[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

22 minutes ago, bbb said:

What is going on with "consolidators?"  Are they working out and do you think the Sabres will do that?

I’d say that it is definitely working. We (when I was in the NBA) were one of the first teams to embrace it. It was in large part by necessity. There were still team’s with an old-school mentality. We embraced those guys and had a dedicated manager that worked only with them. We tried to be transparent with them and in turn there was a lot of data sharing. We would look out for them and in turn they would do some favors for us.

The goal was to bring the secondary market off the  corner and into our control. We would do things like sell them harder to move inventory at a discount. This allowed us to get the revenue from that as well keep some internal revenue by not cannabilizing walk up. As an example we might sell them the worst of the club seats at $75 a piece. They may have been $125 or $150 face. We would do this instead of selling them lower corners at $40. There is a certain type of buyer that will spend $40 or maybe even $90 for a club seat but wouldn’t spend $150. So we are either getting $75 of the $90 or $75 + $40. Our best cases scenario with that same consumer would have been a $40 lower corner. The broker may, in turn get as much as $105-$110 for the club. Everyone is happy. 

The data sharing is great, but it’s really nothing earth shattering. That’s why some teams (especially in baseball) went to dynamic pricing. We talked about it when our demand was high but it was a little risky. I think that this is the likeliest move for the Sabres. They have enough demand at the moment that I think it would work. It’s risky still though as they likely have a few big broker partners. They really don’t like the dynamic model (at all). They like a limited inventory and high demand for big games. Dynamic pricing spreads it out and will leave a bigger supply (even for prime games).

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d say that it is definitely working. We (when I was in the NBA) were one of the first teams to embrace it. It was in large part by necessity. There were still team’s with an old-school mentality. We embraced those guys and had a dedicated manager that worked only with them. We tried to be transparent with them and in turn there was a lot of data sharing. We would look out for them and in turn they would do some favors for us.

The goal was to bring the secondary market off the  corner and into our control. We would do things like sell them harder to move inventory at a discount. This allowed us to get the revenue from that as well keep some internal revenue by not cannabilizing walk up. As an example we might sell them the worst of the club seats at $75 a piece. They may have been $125 or $150 face. We would do this instead of selling them lower corners at $40. There is a certain type of buyer that will spend $40 or maybe even $90 for a club seat but wouldn’t spend $150. So we are either getting $75 of the $90 or $75 + $40. Our best cases scenario with that same consumer would have been a $40 lower corner. The broker may, in turn get as much as $105-$110 for the club. Everyone is happy. 

The data sharing is great, but it’s really nothing earth shattering. That’s why some teams (especially in baseball) went to dynamic pricing. We talked about it when our demand was high but it was a little risky. I think that this is the likeliest move for the Sabres. They have enough demand at the moment that I think it would work. It’s risky still though as they likely have a few big broker partners. They really don’t like the dynamic model (at all). They like a limited inventory and high demand for big games. Dynamic pricing spreads it out and will leave a bigger supply (even for prime games).

Very interesting info.  I'm afraid of the Sabres taking my tickets away for selling after I've gone through losses for the last few years.  I use some, but sell more than I use. 

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

we gotta get back to winning. im scared. i dont want to lose anymore :( please win on saturday 

On the plus side, they're still picking up some points and they are looking competent against some of the best teams in the league.  The schedule is about to become more kind and they'll need to take advantage.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, bbb said:

Very interesting info.  I'm afraid of the Sabres taking my tickets away for selling after I've gone through losses for the last few years.  I use some, but sell more than I use. 

I would hope that they wouldn’t do that. Teams need to be careful to not get arrogant when things are going well. It looks like the Sabres are in the early phases of a long successful run. If they chased off people like you now, they would be able to replace you. If they did that in the midst of the last few years, they wouldn’t.  When the pendulum swings back the other way they will still need those people that will buy tickets. It is risky/arrogant to push away the fans that were there when you were at the bottom.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Four one goal losses ( two in OT) against a tough schedule.  

The fact that they say the power play has been legitimately excellent tells me that they haven't been watching the games. I also don't put much credence into NHL advanced analytics. People focus may too much on the precise number when they're directional at best.

Having said that, they are right about Hutton and anyone who watches hockey regularly knew that the way they were winning wasn't sustainable.

4 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

The fact that they say the power play has been legitimately excellent tells me that they haven't been watching the games. I also don't put much credence into NHL advanced analytics. People focus may too much on the precise number when they're directional at best.

Having said that, they are right about Hutton and anyone who watches hockey regularly knew that the way they were winning wasn't sustainable.

Secondary scoring has dried up along with the issues with the PP.  They should have more success in the next few games against a softer schedule.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Secondary scoring has dried up along with the issues with the PP.  They should have more success in the next few games against a softer schedule.

Agreed. Despite the 0-2-2 record, I'm generally pleased with the showing over the past four.

the way the NHL has set it up, it is grossly unfair in favour of those on top of the standings

TB, TOR and BUFF can play 500 hockey the rest of the way with no fear at all, a point a game basically

a few streaks and slumps are fine

just rest up for what matters, the playoffs

with that 3rd point handed out 1/3 or so of the time, these 3 can aim for OT on every road game now and not risk losing in regulation

and East plays East so much that a team trying to rise has to win 8 in a row and keep a strong streak going to even hope of the playoffs at this point

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

5. Buffalo Sabres (17-8-4)

Total points: 141

Last week: No. 4

Hit: Jack Eichel has 15 points (three goals, 12 assists) in 11 games since Nov. 16.

Miss: The Sabres have lost four in a row (0-2-2) since winning 10 straight from Nov. 8-27.

The irony is that in three of those four last games Buffalo probably played better than they did during the win streak. In the Toronto game I thought overall that they played better than they did. 

• Like (+1) 1