Doug Pederson; The Art of the RPO

Just now, NextYear'sTheOne said:

I love these schemes/concepts. Was Rick using RPO's often last year? Has Daboll used them in the past? What are your thoughts on RPO's? 

Love it.

Loved it when Kelly was doing it in Philly..........worked great for the Bills running game and helped Tyrod tremendously.....and proven in some big games now.

I think it simplifies things for your quarterback and it can give you a real advantage in the run game.  The way Philly used it under Chip and in the playoffs with Foles I think has a limited shelf life when it becomes the core concept of your offense because teams will concentrate on doing a lot of rotations and disguise with their linebackers and safeties that allow them to play man on the outside and it can certainly muddy the simple reads that the RPO is designed to create.  

The way Pederson and Andy Reid (and to a lesser extent the Texans and the Packers - when Hundley was in) used it last year as an element of their offense alongside more traditional plays is really, really hard to stop. Pederson and Reid are absolute masters at showing you the exact same formation 3 times in a game and then running a conventional shotgun pass play, a conventional shotgun run play and then an RPO from the same formation and the same personnel. It makes it really hard to run a defensive scheme flexible enough to adjust. Your defenders are going to end up guessing a lot and if they guess wrong they are risking major blown coverages and big plays - which is what happened on the Alshon Jeffrey play shown in that video.  Interestingly the Chiefs and Eagles who ran the most RPO used it on around 18% of their offensive snaps.  

I expect Daboll to bring a lot of RPO this year - he ran a fair bit at 'Bama in the games I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You gotta mix it up no doubt

But....lets not make it too complicated....we have a 6'5 strong armed QB....he should be making his living from the pocket and using RPO to keep defenses off balance

Let's hope that we can eventually get beyond a Remedial Passing Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two things strike me after watching this video:

1.) I suspect Josh Allen is very well suited for this type of scheme.

2.) Brian Baldinger’s right pinky was botched during reattachment.