Tyrod's Touchdowns

On ‎05‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, Another Fan said:

Andy Provin just posted.  The first one against the Colts still made me excited re-watching.  Some of the Tyrod/Sammy connections were good to see again as well. 

Have no problem moving on from him but it's unfair to say he never provided some sweet moments at times

Tyrod is/was one of the most exciting quarterbacks to watch I've ever seen.  He made a handful of plays, nearly every game, which I may have prior assumed to be unmakable.  This cuts both ways though, as he undoubtedly singly handedly drove the stock prices of Mylanta and Jack Daniel's to all time highs.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Duh. Browns aren't going to turn it over even half that amount if Tyrods starts the whole year. And they'll score more by not turning the ball over. 

Lolwut.  Tyrod averages .5 TO's per game, which, if he started the whole season, would be 8.

They'll score more by not turning it over, but contrast that with 3 and outs and Tyrod taking 50 sacks.  I doubt TT breaks ~23 TD's.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They turned the ball over 41 times. What's half of 41? Simple math.?

The 3 and outs were an issue in some of 15 and the beginning of 16. Once Lynn became coordinator they were actually a better team at not going 3 and out and sustaining drives. Same for last season. 

He might not break 23 TD's, but like I said, the team will score more points due to not turning the ball over as much and not ending drives into their opponents deep end of the field. 

Who did?  The Browns?

You need to be clearer, I thought you were referencing my numbers.

TT is lucky to go to a team where the bar is so low.  All he has to be is 31st in points scored and he's a success ?.

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Lolwut.  Tyrod averages .5 TO's per game, which, if he started the whole season, would be 8.

They'll score more by not turning it over, but contrast that with 3 and outs and Tyrod taking 50 sacks.  I doubt TT breaks ~23 TD's.

And yet, the fifteen games Taylor had Watkins and Woods both playing he threw 27 td passes. But that was only fifteen games over two years. With Brandon Tate, Justin Hunter, Andre Holmes Deonte Thompson, and the pick-up squad from the local ICU? Less so; I concede. Still, a pretty clear correlation, ya think?

Given Cleveland's skill players are more equivalent to the '15 Bills team than the mess fielded the last two years, I guess we'll see. 

1 minute ago, grb said:

And yet, the fifteen games Taylor had Watkins and Woods both playing he threw 27 td passes. But that was only fifteen games over two years. With Brandon Tate, Justin Hunter, Andre Holmes Deonte Thompson, and the pick-up squad from the local ICU? Less so; I concede. Still, a pretty clear correlation, ya think?

Given Cleveland's skill players are more equivalent to the '15 Bills team than the mess fielded the last two years, I guess we'll see. 

But you're not talking about the '15 team, but cherry picking games over two seasons.  If Landry misses a game because of a boo-boo, I guess Tyrod only putting up 16 TD's over the year will be excused because he didn't have his full complement of WR's for every snap!

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Also depends how Mayfield looks in training camp/preseason. If he looks ready and real good it wouldn't surprise me to see him start over Tyrod.

Maybe. If it wasn't for the DeShone Kizer dumpster-fire last year, I'd say the odds were 50-50 even. But Hue Jackson definitely took the criticism over that to heart - which is fair enough because he earned it.  

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

But you're not talking about the '15 team, but cherry picking games over two seasons.  If Landry misses a game because of a boo-boo, I guess Tyrod only putting up 16 TD's over the year will be excused because he didn't have his full complement of WR's for every snap!

It's a simple equation :

• How well did Taylor utilize real talent around him as a Bill?  Answer : Very well. Taking '15 alone, he was seventh in the NFL by passer rating with an 8 ypa.
  • How much talent will Cleveland have around him? Answer : A decent amount. Their o-line isn't bad, a good stable of RBs, deep at WR, a talented young TE.
  • Can Taylor utilize talent in Cleveland as he did in Buffalo? Answer : Why not......

Pretty clear, don't you think? With each successive year the Bills put less and less talent on the field with Taylor. It wasn't all one thing. A lot of it was injuries : Watkins, Woods, Matthews, Benjamin, etc. A lot of it was indifference : The team let Woods, Hogan, Gillislee, and Goodwin just walk. Some of it was freakish stuff : Kalos and Percy's careers imploding. Watkins was dumped for '18 draft capital. Jones under-performed. Boldin saw the Watkins trade as a tank-move and fled. Different causes, same result : Year by year the talent drained away from the offense - until we had a crippled Matthews, a crippled Benjamin, Zay like a deer in the headlights, and a cast-off from the bloody Chicago Bears, for goodness sake. Yeah; there is every likelihood Taylor will enjoy greater success in Cleveland.

Edited by grb

6 minutes ago, grb said:

It's a simple equation :

• How well did Taylor utilize real talent around him as a Bill?  Answer : Very well. Taking '15 alone, he was seventh in the NFL by passer rating with an 8 ypa.
  • How much talent will Cleveland have around him? Answer : A decent amount. Their o-line isn't bad, a good stable of RBs, deep at WR, a talented young TE.
  • Can Taylor utilize talent in Cleveland as he did in Buffalo? Answer : Why not......

Pretty clear, don't you think? With each successive year the Bills put less and less talent on the field with Taylor. It wasn't all one thing. A lot of it was injuries : Watkins, Woods, Matthews, Benjamin, etc. A lot of it was indifference : The team let Woods, Hogan, Gillislee, and Goodwin just walk. Some of it was freakish stuff : Kalos and Percy's careers imploding. Watkins was dumped for '18 draft capital. Jones under-performed. Boldin saw the Watkins trade as a tank-move and fled. Different causes, same result : Year by year the talent drained away from the offense - until we had a crippled Matthews, a crippled Benjamin, Zay like a deed in the headlights, and a cast-off from the bloody Chicago Bears, for goodness sake. Yeah; there is every likelihood Taylor will enjoy greater success in Cleveland.

That's what folks say today. After 2015 and 2016, Watkins and Woods sucked, Goodwin sucked, Hogan wouldn't make another roster, Clay sucked, McCoy was washed up, and Tyrod needed more weapons that suited his playstyle.  And his OL with 3 Pro Bowlers was crappy too.  Oh and Roman/Lynn had a badly run offense, Tyrod needs a West Coast offense to succeed.  LOL.

The Tyrod flip flopping was always fun to watch.

Edited by jmc12290

I haven't looked up the stats at the average amount of touchdowns per game for QB, but this video really proved the point that you could only expect 1 a game.  Yes there are some where he threw more than one, but it was not consistent.

If I interject my opinion into this, I feel this is a reason why many fans are happy to see him go. 

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

See, I disagree.  I think Tyrod is one of the most forgettable QB's we ever had because he was boring.  His style of play, his unwillingness to take chances, it lulled me to sleep 95% of the game.

He was not effective, even with his arms and legs.  He was below league average in total TD's among QB's in his best season with possibly the best offensive personnel in Bills history, and by his last year, ranked 26th, barely edging out Jacoby Brissett who was traded and didn't play a full season.  He had 3 less TD's than Deshaun Watson and Watson torn his ACL week 7.  That's so freaking bad.

I agree with all of this and while it may help the browns to some extent, he,s gonna see 3afcn defensive lines that are a bit more punishing than the Jets fish or Pat's. Good luck with that.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Good summary. 

Its why I think the Browns will have a somewhat decent year. They are going to dramatically improve on their league high giveaway total from a year ago by adding Tyrod. Turnovers are the difference between winners and losers and Tyrod doesn't turn the ball over. 

Tyrod > Kizer (at least as a rookie) ???

Tyrod had his issues with consistency, but constant injury issues at the wr position during his tenure didn’t help his cause. Let’s hope AJ and Josh have better luck.

it seems like whenever tyrod started to develop chemistry with quality receivers like woods and Watkins or heck even harvin, they’d get hurt as soon as it was turning into something special

thats why I’ll be watching tyrod in Cleveland. I think if Landry and Gordon remain available through the season, he will be a better qb than he was in buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nkreed said:

I haven't looked up the stats at the average amount of touchdowns per game for QB, but this video really proved the point that you could only expect 1 a game.  Yes there are some where he threw more than one, but it was not consistent.

If I interject my opinion into this, I feel this is a reason why many fans are happy to see him go. 

31 of 44 games as a Buffalo Bill, Tyrod passed for 1 or less touchdowns. 

or 13 of 44 games he passed for more than 1 touchdown

Not good and way better was needed no matter how you choose to look at it. 

3 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

Yet slice it any way you want the offense was top ten in scoring both seasons before Dennison came along.  I get the premise of needing an elite passer and Tyrod is gone so water under the bridge but the notion that the offense was completely inept because Taylor didn't throw for 30 TD's is wrong.  The offense with proper weapons in place would run for 160 yards on almost anyone and then throw an 80 yard bomb over your head but you can't do that with practice squad cast aways,  Jordan Mathews and KB who for all the love is a bigger less productive Jordan Mathews.  Now we all need to hope that Allen can work some magic and possibly even more importantly we better hope that Daboll is much better than his previous stops.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Yet slice it any way you want the offense was top ten in scoring both seasons before Dennison came along.  I get the premise of needing an elite passer and Tyrod is gone so water under the bridge but the notion that the offense was completely inept because Taylor didn't throw for 30 TD's is wrong.  The offense with proper weapons in place would run for 160 yards on almost anyone and then throw an 80 yard bomb over your head but you can't do that with practice squad cast aways,  Jordan Mathews and KB who for all the love is a bigger less productive Jordan Mathews.  Now we all need to hope that Allen can work some magic and possibly even more importantly we better hope that Daboll is much better than his previous stops.

From southernNYfan upthread

The team scoring was not "tyrod scoring".

Their running games were quite a bit better, especially near the goal line, in 2015 and 2016 vs 2017.

2015 they were #12 in points and #13 in yards

#1 rushing game in NFL in 2015 (#1 in yards, tds, YPC), yet #28th in passing yards, 20th in TDs, but #12 in YPA

Mccoy had 900 yards in 12 games (or a 1300 yards pace), Williams and Gillislee combined for about 800 yards, and Tyrod again had 568 yards on over 100 carries.

2016 they were #10 in points and #16 in yards

#1 rushing game in NFL in 2016 (#1 yards, tds, YPC), yet #30th in passing yards and #27 in passing TDs and YPA.

hmmm.

McCoy had almost 1300 yards, 577 for Gillislee and 580 for Taylor (who ran the ball 95 times that year) so yeah, Taylor can run.

It seems to me that their passing offense was trash 2015, 2016, and 2016. 

Even in 2017 their run game was #6 in yards, but #15 in TD and #14 in YPC

Their passing game sunk even worse #31 yards, #27 TD, #27 YPA

They scored 399 points.   There's only 5 teams in Bill's history that scored more.  They scored more than every team Kelly led except 3.   Coaches will make or break a team.  Clearly McDemott can put together a defense but with his choice of Dennison at OC  the first time and the horrible management of the offense throughout the year I have little faith that he can get that side of the ball straight so he need an offensive guru who can put all that together for him.   In my mind Allen, McCarron or whoever they throw out there it's all riding on Daboll.   For the record I don't think Daboll in any of the next 2 years will come anywhere near scoring 25 ppg.  I've been wrong before so here's to hoping I'm way off.

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

They scored 399 points.   There's only 5 teams in Bill's history that scored more.  They scored more than every team Kelly led except 3.   Coaches will make or break a team.  Clearly McDemott can put together a defense but with his choice of Dennison at OC  the first time and the horrible management of the offense throughout the year I have little faith that he can get that side of the ball straight so he need an offensive guru who can put all that together for him.   In my mind Allen, McCarron or whoever they throw out there it's all riding on Daboll.   For the record I don't think Daboll in any of the next 2 years will come anywhere near scoring 25 ppg.  I've been wrong before so here's to hoping I'm way off.

The problem here is that tp get to the WC  they needed to score 450.  Mainly more than 3 to 6 points in those horrific games. 

19 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

You forgot all the 4th qtr. Comebacks and 300 yd. Games.....